• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013
    Hans Zimmer's score has definitely become much much better with the time for me as well, especially after watching the film. I personally enjoy all those films, i don't take them as seriously as their hardcore fans do, nor do i find the whole superhero thing so...super. But i do enjoy them a lot and if they bring spectacle and scores that i love, then they are more than welcome smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Captain Future wrote
    I thought Man of Steel was an OK film but that it could have been a really good film had it been cut down in duration. Hans Zimmer's score has grown on me.

Volker

I agree. I was thinking maybe a split second long, total running time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Prisoners

My this is grim.

The score? 'cause it's absolutely excellent on cd, although very dark as well. I'd imagine it works wonders in the film.

Grim. Not something I'll be listening to any time soon...
  2. In case you haven't seen this yet... this year's THR's round table interview with the composers.
    Silvestri, Zimmer, Price, Jackman, Beck and Newman (Thomas, that is) take part. It's good fun.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/1 … ers-666107

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

with the new Superman vs Batman film coming up and Snyder already saying that Ben Affleck's Superman will be a very troubled and tired character

Batman, D. Ben Affleck is going to play Batman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013 edited
    Synchrotones wrote
    In case you haven't seen this yet... this year's THR's round table interview with the composers.
    Silvestri, Zimmer, Price, Jackman, Beck and Newman (Thomas, that is) take part. It's good fun.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/1 … ers-666107

<s>

Yeah, I've watched it. Excellent, as always, even though the questions aren't the most insightful and the topics aren't the most revolutionary. The pleasure lies in seeing these great guys interact in a rather informal setting.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Yeah, I've watched it. Excellent, as always, even though the questions aren't the most insightful and the topics aren't the most revolutionary.

Yeah.. it's a shame that either the journalists don't know enough about filmmusic or they keep it simple for a wider audience. You kinda want to walk in there and take over "right... what we really want to know is....."
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

with the new Superman vs Batman film coming up and Snyder already saying that Ben Affleck's Superman will be a very troubled and tired character

Batman, D. Ben Affleck is going to play Batman.

See? They're the same these days, i mixed them up smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They are?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes sadly, they are.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But are you sure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

On the one hand it's a lot of fun, with some great cinematography and some great set pieces and of course a GREAT score. On the other hand, it's just plain awful. I know that might irk a few die hard fans of the series (I'm thinking of no one in particular), but it is pretty bad. And it's largely due to the two most annoying characters in movie history: Shortroundgodiwanttopunchhisstupidface and Mrs. Spielberg.

It still holds a certain amount of nostalgia for me, especially the end scene in the mines up to the mine car chase itself, and it's fun revisiting a film I often watched when I was a child, but the grown up part of me can't ignore the fact that it's just not a very good film.

I haven't watched the third film in quite a while, and I'm worried I'll have a similar reaction. (The first, thankfully, will always remain a favourite. Even with all its mistakes, it's still perfect.)

Of course, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Thinks Temple of Doom is plain awful yet likes Man of Steel. FUCKED. UP.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

biggrin

Hook, line and sinker!
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good... gooooood...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay, you can stop feeding him now.
  5. Steven wrote
    But are you sure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78WVDQvhrQ
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Aside from Harrison Ford I am not in the least interested in who starrs in these popcorn movies. For all I care they could collect them off the streets at random.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. OK this doesn't go for Sean Connery either.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2013 edited
    So, I just saw Man Of Steel for the first time as well (well, it's Christmas, so a movie about planetwide genocide and loads of things getting obliterated just seemed right), and I have to say: like the seminal 1978 film it gets a lot of things right!

For one thing, the casting is just great.
    A thoroughly likeable Cavill exudes just the right kind of sincererity for the job (strongly echoing Reeve, I think), and even though I prefer the psychopathological take of Terence Stamp Michael Shannon (of Boardwalk Empire fame) makes an excellent three-dimensional villain as General Zod.
    The supporting cast is uniformly very good, including Lawrence Fishburne as a black Perry White and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

The story is a long but engaging one (even if the exploding trains and rockets and crumbling buildings do wear out their incredibly noisy welcome after a while), with even the obligatory and universally known origins story being handled cleverly (the time in Kansas handled mostly through flashbacks) and aesthetically pleasing, especially on Krypton.
    With many of the designs coming directly John Byrne's Superman reboot (yeah, no one but Timmer will know what I'm talking about), it's a feast for the eyes.

The photography is excellent, and I really enjoy the attention to physics (what with Supes' punches creating shock waves, and his take-offs creating small craters).

In fact, I'm quite happy with this well handled, well considered re-imagining, except for one thing.
    Zimmer's score.

Oh yeah, baby. Here it is. The rant you've been waiting for.

This may well be the worst score for any blockbuster film ever.
    It was so bad that the people I was watching it with -none of them in the least bit interested in movie scores- actually started getting very vocally annoyed about it.
    There isn't a single aspect it didn't get wrong.
    Exposure scene?
    Dark, doomy synths, and thunderous percussion.
    Pivotal plot change scene?
    Action scene?
    Heroic scene?
    Apocalyptically doomy synths and insanely messianic choir intoning minor power chords.
    Dramatically moving scene?
    Piano tinkling.

I get that apparently Zimmer's walking papers apparently stated "dark messiah" (and not much more), and while I thoroughly object to this perversion of the Superman myth (I won't go into details but am happy to expound if anyone is interested, which I cannot imagine, to be honest), even that might have been at least interesting, if it weren't for two things:
    1) YOU DON'T NEED TO BE SO BLEEDING OBVIOUS ABOUT IT
    Choirs, long-winded psalm-like minor chords and instruments mimicking church organs.
    We get it. Throttle off for just a fucking second, OK?
    2) (and by far the most important one) Where the HELL are the heroics?
    Superman is not a god. He's not a saviour. He's a superhero. He's the actual ORIGIN of a superhero. The WORD superhero didn't exist until Supes came along. It's kinda expected to give him at least some heroic sound at some point. If even once.
    But no.
    At NO point WHATSOEVER do we ever get a musical identity that suggests 'hero'.
    We get armageddon-pregnant doom, drawn-out minor key droning and the Percussion From Hell.
    And at the end of the day, very much like with Batman, NO recognisable musical identity whatsoever.

It is awful.
    It is misguided.
    It is wrong.

I have no idea who is to blame for this horrid musical fiasco -whether it was Snyder, Zimmer or a studio executive- but I sincerely hope this person will never, ever work on a Superman-related musical project EVER again.

The film should be a 4/5, but drops to 3 due to the truly debilitating soundtrack.

Honestly, I don't get riled up often by a score simply not working.
    But this is the most wrong thing I've heard in years.
    A huge creative mistake.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2013
    PS: And may I be the first to heartily and most sincerely welcome Antje Traue as our Kryptonian Overlady. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Weird. I didn't mind it at all. Don't get me wrong, I think it could have done with a much better score, but I was still able to enjoy it for what it was - a noisy action score for a noisy action film. (I rather like 'Flight'.) I just don't care enough about Superman or comic books in general to worry whether the character got the score he deserved, and although I do care about film music and completely understand the film should have received a better score, I wasn't angered by what it ended up with. It is what it is.

But I do sympathise with your thoughts. If this is a precursor to what all blockbuster scores will end up like (and in some regards already are), I too will join you on the soapbox. But I have faith that there will always be a place for quality film music, and traditional symphonic scoring will never go out of fashion. So when I hear something like this, I'm not so worried by it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I just don't care enough about Superman or comic books in general to worry whether the character got the score he deserved

Yeah, that's the main drive behind my rant.
    While I am pretty well steeped in Anglosaxon pop culture (including the phenomenon of the (super)hero), most of the friends I watched it with were not, although all of us do have a soft spot for Big Blue.

That probably makes a lot of difference.

If you experience the score in the film divorced from any preconceived notions about Superman it may not be so bad.
    And even I wouldn't have minded as much, I think, had this been some fringe comic book hero only true geeks would even ever have heard about.

But it's Superman, man!
    It's a pop culture icon the world over.
    That would, in my mind, warrant consideration rather above and beyond 'let's make it dark and noisy. Like, y'know, pretty much everything else'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm. It surprises me you were angered by Zimmer's musical embodying of Superman as a messiah, while the film itself didn't annoy you in this respect as much. I thought it was mainly Zack Snyder who repeatedly had to ram that point down my throat - either in handily placing him in front of crucifixes in the church, or the insanely obvious Jesus-pose while floating away from his father - we GET it!

Zimmer's score, meanwhile, basically gave the film what it demanded: gloomy, heavy handed photography and a plot pointing towards terrorism, with hardly any sense of fun, the music is a fine reflection of Snyder's approach while the final moments (indeed, 'Flight') is a perfectly acceptable power anthem for a figure like Superman. It may not be a traditional theme in the classical sense, but it nonetheless oozes power and energy. I like the fact it's a completely different approach then what went before, actually. If he wrote another traditional theme again people would start comparing it to John Williams' - and you never win that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    I thought it was mainly Zack Snyder who repeatedly had to ram that point down my throat

Absolutely, but Zimmer's dirg-like psalms consistently (and far more often than the visuals warranted) punctuated the point over and over again. I wouldn't have minded either a visual OR a musical reference here and there, but all in all this was MASSIVELY overstated. And I blame Zimmer mostly.
    Hell, you can musically understate everything else, but THIS we need hammering over the head with?
    Come on!

final moments (indeed, 'Flight') is a perfectly acceptable power anthem for a figure like Superman.

confused
    Maybe it comes out on the CD, but I didn't get anything near anything remotely sounding like the possibility of maybe at some time becoming a "power anthem" at any time in the film.
    Maybe it got buried under the explosions.

It may not be a traditional theme in the classical sense, but it nonetheless oozes power and energy.

If you mean the truly ridiculously messianic bit when he destroyes the Indian Ocean world smasher, that's exactly the kind or religious quatsch I'm railiing against. If that's a power anthem, then Passion Of The Christ is a rock ballad.

I like the fact it's a completely different approach then what went before, actually.

That, I don't mind.
    Note that I didn't reference Williams once in my review/rant.

If he wrote another traditional theme again people would start comparing it to John Williams' - and you never win that.

While luckily now no one anywhere compares his score to Williams'... oh...wait...
    wink
  8. God, the Doctor Who Christmas special was awful. Self-indulgent and incomprehensible. I hope the writers have been regenerated also. Matt Smith was not served well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As I said just a few minutes ago in the Dr. Who thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013 edited
    Ok, since I'm on my phone it's quite a chore to properly quote, but here goes:

- The superhero-anthem
    I must admit one major gripe of me against the film (NOT a fan, by the way) was the lacking of (as I see it) 'power anthem' Flight within the film itself (and no, the end credits do not count). Having heard it on CD before I was completely expecting this to be the final moments of the film while we saw Supes doing his fly-thing through the sky, universe or wherever he does his flying thing IN 3D and Zimmer's final track would've made it totally awesome. Instead, we got a leap to that moment and JUST WHEN THAT MOMENT STARTS, the credits kicked in. Talk about anti-climax. Still, I love that final piece and Snyder should've gone all the way to give his audience that final rush - don't hold back, the man just became the superhero he had built up to. I felt Zimmer had written the piece though, it just wasn't used properly. Nowhere in the film beforehand did Zack give Hans a moment of clear victory to place it (hell, even the final villain face off SPOILER ends on a grim note). Still, superman's first flying moment came close.

- On me (sigh) comparing Zimmer to Williams
    Well, ok, true, you hadn't taken Williams in your keyboard, but it felt like he was in the subtext. You're missing 'a musical superhero moment', which for superman before has been translated into a bold, melodic theme, yet Zimmer takes the crescendo-anthem approach. I feel like everybody attaches too much to that previous way of scoring for a superhero, meanwhile not opening up to other ways. Just to make sure, are you ranting against the superhero-quality in the track Flight and should that have been more recognizably melodic, or do you think that track should've been used more often within the film?

By the way, I chat really remember a bit with an 'Indian Ocean Smasher' (?) but maybe you're talking about something scored by the Arcade-track (the villain's theme)? I don't believe the flight-theme features in the film more than once (said first flying exercise).