• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Wouldn't want to miss a minute!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    Tarzan - David Newman

This is absolutely delightful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Romeo and Juliet - Abel K

It's pretty, but seems to go on forever.

Says the guy who raved about Gravity. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Romeo and Juliet - Abel K

It's pretty, but seems to go on forever.

Says the guy who raved about Gravity. wink

-Erik-

Oh yes, that one was good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Tarzan - David Newman

I've heard it and all I can think of is Patrick Doyle and what he was "forced" to produce for Thor. Get it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2014
    Earlier, heard HARD RAIN - Christopher Young

An absolutely brilliant action score, packed to the gills with interesting variations on his many action motifs. It's quite amazing the diversity he achieved with this, including a great main theme and sly use of a harmonica. Sadly, there aren't too many other scores like it in his back-catalogue.

Now onto EVIL DEAD - Roque Banos

5 tracks in; it's great when he unleashes the full orchestra but it's only been in small, sharp bursts thus far. The rest of the time, I'm struggling to stay awake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Tarzan - David Newman

I've heard it and all I can think of is Patrick Doyle and what he was "forced" to produce for Thor. Get it?

-Erik-

I know what you mean and I was initially disappointed by that, but I think Newman pulls that side off quite well, and there's a decent amount of the album that isn't done that way (I was reminded of Goldsmith in parts).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Tarzan - David Newman

-Erik-

I know what you mean and I was initially disappointed by that, but I think Newman pulls that side off quite well, and there's a decent amount of the album that isn't done that way (I was reminded of Goldsmith in parts).

Some good stuff in there indeed; some cues are very fine, but why do i hear Zimmeritis in here as well?

(btw my only favorite Newman score is Serenity, which doesn't make me the expert on the man...can't quite get his style all these years)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In Tarzan, I found the action writing sharing elements from Newman's Serenity score that i love so much (cues like "Take me to the Meteor" or the spectacular "Finale" are very well done) and the softer, sentimental passages are enjoyable to the max: Tarzan's and Jane's thematic material is the most interesting, stuff like "Tarzan", "Tarzan and Jane" but also "Tarzan and Jane at the lake" and "Reunion" demonstrate some very fine writing from Newman although i could do without the Zimmeresque nature.
  2. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Tarzan - David Newman

-Erik-

So, so far we have Patrick Doyle, Jerry Goldsmith & Hans Zimmer.

Add to this, the gaps between the tracks reminds me of John Cage.

Can no-one write anything original these days? Or are people just trying to find other composers in people's work?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think Erik was saying it sounds like Doyle, rather that Newman has adapted his style to a more Zimmerised approach, as Doyle did for Thor. And I think there's always been a touch of Goldsmith in Newman's writing, so that's nothing new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "... rather that Newman has adapted his style to a more Zimmerised "

This is what i understand as well.
  3. I stand corrected.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I haven't heard the score yet but I'd like to point out that just because something sound a bit like Zimmer doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. As I said, I really enjoyed this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TARZAN - David Newman

I thought I'd give it a try.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TARZAN - David Newman

I thought I'd give it a try.

It swims prettily by. It's okay, I didn't feel like I'd wasted 75 minutes of my time but there was nothing that really caught my attention, I might give it a second try?

It's also a shame that even David Newman is "forced" down that all-pervading anonymously generic ruddy "Zimmer" sound. MAKE. IT. STOP!!!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I haven't heard the score yet but I'd like to point out that just because something sound a bit like Zimmer doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I haven't heard the score yet but I'd like to point out that just because something sound a bit like Zimmer doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

No, of course not. But it's overwhelming use is tiresome in the extreme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JP : ROBOCOP - Pedro Bromfman

Somehow I made it through the 7th track before deciding I'd had enough.

This is NOT good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

It's a nice score, the last part contains some very strong material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

When David Neeman starts doing it then it's bad thing.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

-Erik-

Unwritten law of the soundtrack fan # 10 - Though shalt not spell mistake the name of any film composer of worth.

David NeWman. wink

I agree Erik. I want to hear Newman, not channelled generic Zimmer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Damn iPhone!

Sorry!

-Erik-
  6. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

-Erik-

Unwritten law of the soundtrack fan # 10 - Though shalt not spell mistake the name of any film composer of worth.

David NeWman. wink

I agree Erik. I want to hear Newman, not channelled generic Zimmer

Yeah, but it's "thou", not "though", right?

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :shakes-fist: crazy
  7. I'd rather hear David Newman enjoyably channel Zimmer than not hear David Newman at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'd the rather the director hire an RC composer instead of having Newman write in this manner. Why hire Newman if you don't want to hear HIS sound? crazy

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stop making sense Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wonder if that's how it went. Newman has worked with these filmmakers before and not done it. I am told that it was Patrick Doyle's decision and nobody else's to go the way he did on Thor and then Jack Ryan, a way of showing Hollywood that he could do that stuff if that's what they really want (and evidently it is), to ensure he can still get high-profile work outside of his reliable collaborator Branagh. Maybe Newman - whose assignments have rather been drying up in recent years, though of course that may be his own choice - decided to do the same thing.

I think the person to blame for all this is fairly clear and it isn't Patrick Doyle or David Newman or Kenneth Branagh or whoever directed Tarzan. Whether it was his intention or not, everything is now about him.