• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nothing has replaced Lost but it's not to say there haven't been great shows - Breaking Bad for instance, and I'm just starting The Walking Dead.

That said, I do miss Giacchino not working in TV and agree Lost still is his finest score.

Nothing comes close to me. I tried watching Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones... nothing has the excitement and agony of each Lost episode; and their music doesn't even come close.

How many episodes of each one did you watch? If you managed to watch the first seasons of both and remained unimpressed, you truly are lost! dizzy

2-3 each

I admit, I tried the first episodes of each and didn't return to it for a while (I'm very impatient when it comes to TV shows, but I've watched enough to know that you need to get past the pilot episode and maybe a few others to really get into the show). But there is a reason these two get hype, and it would be a pity to miss out on them.

Still, if they're not your kind of thing, fair enough! (I think the music in Breaking Bad is fantastic, both the use of songs and Dave Porter's 'sound design'.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The last show I watched in its entirety was SW The Clone Wars and before that Battlestar Galactica reimagined and Babylon 5. I watched all these on DVD. On TV I am a rather sporadic "show-watcher".

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Space: 1999 / Mondbasis Alpha 1 - Barry Gray; Derek Wadsworth
    Playlist based on the two Silva albums.

Britain's answer to STAR TREK. One of my earliest TV scifi experiances, and boy did I get hooked! Star Trek, Space: 1999 and the German Raumpatrouille was my holy trilogy back then, before I got to know Star Wars.
    Jean Michel Jarres Oxygene part II was used as theme music instead of Wadswoth's theme in the second series in Germany.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014 edited
    The Space 1999 Eagle remains one of the finest scifi ship designs EVER. I like how it still inspires people.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. A grand production design overall. The chief designer later worked on STAR WARS and you can see that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    A grand production design overall. The chief designer later worked on STAR WARS and you can see that.

Who was the chief designer?

I can tell you that Martin Bower came from my home city and built and designed 100's of models for various productions including Alien and Outland. He also worked on Space 1999 but I don't think he designed the Eagle?

p.s. The German showing replaced the theme with JMJ? shocked shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The Space 1999 Eagle remains one of the finest scifi ship designs EVER. I like how it still inspires people.

Yes. I always liked that it looked like a natural extension of the (then)recently finished Apollo program.
  4. Guess, I wasn't entirely correct here: The man I had in mind is Brian Johnson, who declined working on STAR WARS but did work on EMPIRE. Still the influence of SPACE: 1999, the "used" look and feel, is clearly present in STAR WARS.

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/2001.html
  5. LES AIGUILLES ROUGES - Frederic Talgorn

This is a lovely score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014 edited
    NP: AMERICAN FLYER (Mark Killian)

Lovely 2011 score with a small ensemble -- parts quirk, parts mood. Can't remember if it's been talked about here before.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014
    Pompeii - Clinton Shorter

This is pretty enjoyable, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Pompeii - Clinton Shorter

This is pretty enjoyable, I think.

You'll forget about it in about 2 weeks and never play it again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've forgotten about it already but I'll write a two-paragraph review of it at the weekend, say it's pretty enjoyable, and only then will I never play it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very enjoyable but not better than the similarly sounding and equally fun but overlooked:

LEGEND OF HERCULES, Tuomas Kantelinen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    It's very enjoyable but not better than the similarly sounding and equally fun but overlooked:

LEGEND OF HERCULES, Tuomas Kantelinen.

This didn't do anything for me at all, except grate and irritate a little bit. One of the big disappointments of the year, IMO, given how much I like Kantelinen's work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But it's not that different than Shorter's Pompeii?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014 edited
    Haven't heard that one yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pompeii and Hercules are no good. Grating is a perfect word for both.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. They're both okay, not grating or unpleasant to me, but nothing special or memorable either. Kantelinen's is probably the better composition, but has the added negative of a poor album presentation that feels like cues were crossfaded very awkwardly. And even I as a relative cloth-ear can tell that there's something wrong with that recording. Lots of reverb, but rather than adding to the scope of the music a la Lord of the Rings or Space Battleship Yamato, it just takes away all of the punch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ARTIST (Ludovic Bource)

The film was severely overrated, and while the music is excellent pastiche, it isn't all it's made out to be either, IMO. I remember being more impressed by the use of Herrmann etc. in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

The film was severely overrated, and while the music is excellent pastiche, it isn't all it's made out to be either, IMO. I remember being more impressed by the use of Herrmann etc. in the film.

I thought it was fantastic, touching, full of emotions, both film and score; how can you remain unmoved by a thematically rich and fully colorful score like this? Artist is overrated, and pain and gain was the best score of '13 goddamnit man! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I thought it was fantastic, touching, full of emotions, both film and score; how can you remain unmoved by a thematically rich and fully colorful score like this? Artist is overrated, and pain and gain was the best score of '13 goddamnit man! smile

He, he...yeah, funny how we all react differently to stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

This will NEVER get old! One of the greatest scores these ears have ever heard!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of the greatest scores out of how many greatest scores you've ever heard with your ears? wink

I think it's very good, one of last years best. But one of the greatest!? spin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's something that I have yet to tire of. It's a score that I would gladly listen to two, three times a day. That rarely happens. So I must REALLY like it. I'd put it in my Top 100 for so many other reasons as well... a lot of those reasons I mention on my radio show. What a ride! It's probably the second best video game score I've ever heard - just behind Giacchino's original Medal of Honor, which is in my top 10 of all time!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of the greatest scores out of how many greatest scores you've ever heard with your ears? wink

I think it's very good, one of last years best. But one of the greatest!? spin biggrin

Also, his assasins' creed iv black flag is damn amazing.
  7. NP: Rome & Juliet (2013) - Abel Korzeniowsky

Beautiful!
    Still, I'd love to hear Horner's score some day.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Also, his assasins' creed iv black flag is damn amazing.

It was alright... but not on the same level as Remember Me, IMO. But it was better than Tyler's Assassin's Creed score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Rome & Juliet (2013) - Abel Korzeniowsky

Beautiful!
    Still, I'd love to hear Horner's score some day.

Volker

Go listen to Sneakers. wink

-Erik-