• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    No, surely he means Mork & Mindy?

oe this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0yujjsJCeo
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Aliens - James Horner

I love every aspect of this score: the atmospheric cues, the action scoring and the "classical" references.

punk punk punk punk punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013 edited
    I love it too (the original Varese, of course) -- one of the rare times I enjoy a horror-type score -- the only thing I'm not too keen on is the stingers.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    I love it too (the original Varese, of course) -- one of the rare times I enjoy a horror-type score -- the only thing I'm not too keen on is the stingers.

I think that the deluxe version adds so much to the original. And it all still fits on one CD so it's not too long. I love the percussion only tracks, particularly "Ripley's Rescue".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013 edited
    NP: Thor: The Dark World - Brian Tyler

More entertaining than I expected. Tyler somehow continues to make each new, copy and paste score sound a little bit fresh. Just about as enjoyable as the first Thor score. Tyler's improved orchestrations of the past couple years have really revitalized his career.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I think that the deluxe version adds so much to the original. And it all still fits on one CD so it's not too long. I love the percussion only tracks, particularly "Ripley's Rescue".

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    beer
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Aliens (1987) - James Horner
    VS Deluxe Edition

Everything has already been said. Awsome!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Hobbit 2.1: The Smog of The Two Towers Returns Howard Shore

What a vast improvement over the first score! Not that the first score was bad, but I can't help but be reminded of a comment by the ever astute Mr. McLennan that when A is happening on screen, A is happening in the music. This is of course true of all the Middle Earth scores, but it was perhaps more evident and plain (in both senses of the word) in the first Hobbit score with very little to redeem it (in stark contrast to the many wonderful themes in the Rings trilogy).

There's a surprisingly different feel to parts of this score, parts I would probably not have thought came from Shore's Middle Earth (which is a good thing; it's different!). I wonder if that has anything to do with Conrad Pope's involvement? I seem to recall a comment in this thread that he had worked on the score.

That said, fuck these two disc releases. There's far too much music here to make an enjoyable and satisfying listen all the way through. I think a 60 minute, perhaps even less, would more than suffice. A great album is waiting to be found in amongst these two discs.
  4. Steven wrote
    The Hobbit 2.1: The Smog of The Two Towers Returns Howard Shore

What a vast improvement over the first score!

Astonishing, when you consider how good the first one was already.

There's a surprisingly different feel to parts of this score, parts I would probably not have thought came from Shore's Middle Earth (which is a good thing; it's different!). I wonder if that has anything to do with Conrad Pope's involvement? I seem to recall a comment in this thread that he had worked on the score.

He did the orchestrations and he conducted. But clearly within the borders of Shore-Land.

That said, fuck these two disc releases. There's far too much music here to make an enjoyable and satisfying listen all the way through. I think a 60 minute, perhaps even less, would more than suffice. A great album is waiting to be found in amongst these two discs.

Indeed!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Thor: The Dark World - Brian Tyler

More entertaining than I expected. Tyler somehow continues to make each new, copy and paste score sound a little bit fresh. Just about as enjoyable as the first Thor score. Tyler's improved orchestrations of the past couple years have really revitalized his career.

Just realized that [spoiler]Silvestri's Captain America theme gets quoted in this score. [/spoiler] I think that's the first instance of thematic continuity between multiple Marvel films. Its about time. Hope it continues into Avengers 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Captain America theme you say? How interesting!
  5. Yes, the Captain America theme...but oddly not Doyle's own Thor theme. I guess it would have been too much to ask Tyler to write an entire score based around it, but it's far superior to the four chords of pop thingy we got.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW - Oscar Araujo

Wonderful stuff! Great orchestral/choral writing with some of it being gorgeously subtle. An obvious influence is Howard Shore's LOTR scores but that's no bad thing in my book.

Told you so wink cheers! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yes, the Captain America theme...but oddly not Doyle's own Thor theme. I guess it would have been too much to ask Tyler to write an entire score based around it, but it's far superior to the four chords of pop thingy we got.

Yes. Exactly. I understand these chords will likely always get used and there's little point in throwing my arms up in a nerd rage each time I hear them, but if you're going to try to pass them off as a main theme with very little else going on (seriously, even the melody itself is bland), then I think that's fair to criticise the composer for it. Tyler's Thor 2 theme is essentially a parody of itself.

Oddly, I love JNH's version of them in his main theme for Lady In The Water. Without sounding too hypocritical, I think he gets away with it given the shear beauty of the orchestrations, the melody itself, the fact that he doesn't just repeat the chords ad infinitum (i.e. rather than going G, C, F, A and repeat, I think it goes something like G, C, F, A, C, A - perhaps not those exact chords, but certainly in structure) and that there's so much more going on in the score as whole than something like Thor 2. He doesn't just throw them in because he had a brain freeze, but rather they're used in a genuinely thought out and artistic way. (A similar analogy could be made for Building The Crate from Chicken Run.)

...but apart from that, I hate them. tongue
  6. Yeah. There's plenty of fine themes that use those four chords within a longer sequence - aside from those two excellent ones you mentioned, Harry Gregson-Williams' Aslan theme from his Narnia scores is another. But when they're the sole harmonic backbone of the theme, as in Tyler's Thor 2 (and Children of Dune, for that matter), they're too transparently simplistic to be more than a guilty pleasure at best. Hell, even the themes from the original Pirates of the Caribbean do more with those four chords than Tyler, and those aren't exactly hallmarks of harmonic complexity, are they. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes! Astutely put. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I actually owned the Deluxe for a while, but overall it really robbed me of the listening experince that ALIENS can be, so I sold it. Too much of the militaristic and suspense stuff, which eventually went on my nerves. The original Varese seems to mix the two appropriately, with a fair amount of interesting textures and slower ambiance inbetween. Just perfect.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    ...too much of the militaristic and suspense stuff...

You mean it sounded too much like the film? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Captain America theme you say? How interesting!

indubitably
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Sorry, I thought I was being nice to people who hadn't seen the film. sad
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

This probably strikes a better balance then the first Hobbit score and the finale cues are among Shore's best. But dear god, it simply refuses to end. This release is about twice as long as it needs to be and coming up with a proper playlist is going to take some effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    ...too much of the militaristic and suspense stuff...

You mean it sounded too much like the film? wink

Yeah, something like that.

(the film, incidentally, is one of my alltime favourite films -- goes to show how different my experience of films and soundtracks are).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MONROE (Dominik Scherrer)

I have absolutely zero connection to this tv series, but I really like the smooth, poppish score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Quantum of Solace David Arnold

For me, Arnold and Powell are the kings of modern action music... or at least they would be if Arnold actually worked on more films and Powell wasn't obsessed with kid-friendly animation.

Anyway. I think the best thing about this score is that there is no HORN OF DOOM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (THE TOUGH GUYS) (Eirik Myhr)

Our own PlingKong's music for the Norwegian children's film. Some great stuff here, although I would maybe have focussed the listening experience a bit more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    NP: DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (THE TOUGH GUYS) (Eirik Myhr)

Our own PlingKong's music for the Norwegian children's film. Some great stuff here, although I would have maybe have focussed the listening experience a bit more.

I agree. It's a fun score, very entertaining. I also like that the banjo plays the lead in so many tracks and main theme. Not often used in (super) hero scores. And the rock song approach often is great. Love the Mojo Trip! :p
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    "The Mojo Trip" is great fun. That's Eirik singing himself, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Escape From The Dark - Ron Goodwin

When I heard Quartet Records -what a great outfit they are, by the way! One of my favourite European publishers of the odd and neglected!- was releasing a score from Ron Goodwin (!) that was brass only (!!!) it was pretty much an instantaneous buy for me!

Yeah, it's not a style for everyone, but I hugely enjoy a good brass performance, and in the crossover with film music you can do no wrong, Brassed Off and Ground Force being oft-revisited favourites of mine.
    Speaking of the former: this entire score is performed by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band, who also did such a sterling (heh) job with the brass band pieces in Brassed Off.

This is very recognisable as a Goodwin score, as even in a 1976 Disney kiddie flick (as I think this is), it's chocfull of strong themes with a clear heroic slant (although the all-out war time heroism of so many of his war movies is obviously toned down a bit).

An odd beast orchestrally, this as I can't for the life of me get why it's brass only (probably something to do with the film's story I do not know?), but as a listening experience it works a treat! Goodwin has that uncanny knack of weaving melodies, themes and emotion quite seamlessly, and he simply does his magic again here. And the brass band's performance is absolutely top notch!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Urgh. I can't stand brass on its own, it just reminds me of (as you say) Ground Force. I appreciate the warning! tongue

Was playing The Book Thief John Williams

Now that the initial excitement of hearing a new non-Spielberg Williams score has worn off, I'm finding this very tepid. Pleasant enough background listen, and yes it's very classy... but there's very little to attract repeat listens. I think I'll put the end credits suite into a playlist and leave it at that!