• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    Doesn't mean you can't just enjoy the music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Excellent cue... but it doesn't hold a candle to any of Beltrami's action cues in A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD.

Beltrami's action music has never done much for me. Not thematic enough. Not melodic enough. Whereas "Forest River" is teeming with action-mode variations of several of the new themes. I suppose I should have said "my action cue of the year"?

A agree completely. I especially love how Shore creates a musical transition from "Hobbit" to "Rings". I believe he succeeds even better in this regard than Williams did when faced with the same task. And I love the prequel scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Doesn't mean you can't just enjoy the music.

I guess I should try to listen to all the Die Hard scores sometime. But I swear I read somewhere that they were athematic and thus didn't bother. Which is why I got defensive when D said Smaug was themeless. People DO read these comments and make their score listening choices accordingly! At least people like me who are so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of available scores these days that they need SOME kind of guidance on what is and isn't worth listening to...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    I believe he succeeds even better in this regard than Williams did when faced with the same task. And I love the prequel scores.

Pfffft.... cough... cough.... WHAT?! shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Captain Future wrote
    A agree completely. I especially love how Shore creates a musical transition from "Hobbit" to "Rings". I believe he succeeds even better in this regard than Williams did when faced with the same task. And I love the prequel scores.

I think what Shore is doing with these scores is and will be for centuries a landmark in the history of show music, and an absolute revelation of what is possible. He has an amazing mind. I'm almost blown away just by each individual example of the backwards-development, the way he writes this almost as if these scores had truly come before LotR, like how Bilbo's theme is so closely related to the Shire theme structurally, almost sounds like a prototype version of the former theme, and yet still stands alone as its own gorgeous melody weaving together the emotional fabric of this new trilogy. I truly hate, from an artistic perspective (not that I lay in bed at night dwelling on my bitterness, lol), that they decided to so heavily edit Shore's work in favor of making the film more accessible to simple-minded audiences who needed to feel more of a connection to LotR.
  2. Well, I think, the Empirial March had no business being in "Attack". Also the inclusion of choir, that before was exclusive to "Jedi" was a bit irritating then. It made "Phatom" sound bigger that any of the previous scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, I think, the Empirial March had no business being in "Attack". Also the inclusion of choir, that before was exclusive to "Jedi" was a bit irritating then. It made "Phatom" sound bigger that any of the previous scores.

I don't mind that, because the Star Wars prequel trilogy was about a bigger, richer world, and the fall of a vast civilization, so it feels appropriate to have bigger music. My only problem with "Duel of the Fates" and its choir usage is that Lucas failed so hard at making such an epic-looking-and-sounding scene mean very much to his plot, in the end.

Its the opposite with the Middle-Earth scores. The prequel trilogy is telling a much smaller and more intimate story. Its not about the fall of a civilization or a world war, its mainly about a single dispossessed tribe attempting to take back their homeland. It should be smaller and subtler than the music for the "end of the age" story that is LotR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, I think, the Empirial March had no business being in "Attack".

Why not?

Captain Future wrote
    Also the inclusion of choir, that before was exclusive to "Jedi" was a bit irritating then.

You can't be serious.... can you? Actually, there was a choir in Empire as well.

-Erik-
  3. Scribe wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I think what Shore is doing with these scores is and will be for centuries a landmark in the history of show music, and an absolute revelation of what is possible. He has an amazing mind. I'm almost blown away just by each individual example of the backwards-development, the way he writes this almost as if these scores had truly come before LotR, like how Bilbo's theme is so closely related to the Shire theme structurally, almost sounds like a prototype version of the former theme, and yet still stands alone as its own gorgeous melody weaving together the emotional fabric of this new trilogy. I truly hate, from an artistic perspective (not that I lay in bed at night dwelling on my bitterness, lol), that they decided to so heavily edit Shore's work in favor of making the film more accessible to simple-minded audiences who needed to feel more of a connection to LotR.

Thank God I'm not alone in these lukewarm parts. There's not a letter of this paragraph I don't agree with, especially that last bit. That Jackson has so little trust in a) Shore and b) his audience is saddening.
  4. Scribe wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, I think, the Empirial March had no business being in "Attack". Also the inclusion of choir, that before was exclusive to "Jedi" was a bit irritating then. It made "Phatom" sound bigger that any of the previous scores.

I don't mind that, because the Star Wars prequel trilogy was about a bigger, richer world, and the fall of a vast civilization, so it feels appropriate to have bigger music.

That thought also crossed my mind when writing my post.

My only problem with "Duel of the Fates" and its choir usage is that Lucas failed so hard at making such an epic-looking-and-sounding mean very much to his plot, in the end.

Hm ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    One question: since you call the forum "lukewarm parts" and yesterday someone (was it you?) said that the discussions here "fuck you off" then why are you still tormenting yourself by being here?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Because I changed my mind and because I am in a much better mood now than I was 48 hours ago.

Like a German chancelor once said: "What do I care about what twiggy babble I said yesterday."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    My only problem with "Duel of the Fates" and its choir usage is that Lucas failed so hard at making such an epic-looking-and-sounding scene mean very much to his plot, in the end.

confused

Try that again?!?!?!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    My only problem with "Duel of the Fates" and its choir usage is that Lucas failed so hard at making such an epic-looking-and-sounding scene mean very much to his plot, in the end.

confused

Try that again?!?!?!

-Erik-

I mean, "Duel of the Fates" is scored as if its exactly that, a duel that will somehow determine the fate of the galaxy, or at least a lot of people. And its perhaps the most thrilling action setpiece in the entire trilogy. But what did the duel's outcome actually affect in the end? Maul was simply replaced by Dooku and Grievous, it makes little difference who the generic Sith Lord II is throughout the trilogy, and honestly it would have been more satisfying to have Maul play the part throughout. Qui-Gon's death did little to affect the training of Anakin, he would have ended up trained either way, he would have ended up rebellious either way, killing Qui-Gon just seems like an incompetent way of adding feelings to the end of the film. Again, I think the whole trilogy would have been better had Qui-Gon survived, or at least died in a meaningful way. So the duel ultimately seems fairly pointless to me. It doesn't seem like any essential plot point in the rest of the trilogy would have been meaningfully affected by any possible outcome of the duel. So why write the most thrilling choir piece of the entire trilogy there? It ends up being little more than "a tale, told by an idiot*, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

*Lucas, not Williams, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    face-palm-mt

Oh my God. You spend waaaaaaaaay too much time psychoanalysing EVERYTHING and forget to have a little fun!

But if you want to go in that direction I guess you can see how pointless the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy is? I mean, why didn't Frodo just hitch a ride on the big damn Eagle, fly over the volcano and chuck the ring in essentially saving the lifes of millions of people, Hobbits, etc.

Nevermind, someone beat me to the punch. biggrin

But that would make for a really shitty story, don't you think?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm a writer. Its how my brain works.

Also, Frodo flying in on an eagle would have been a bit too obvious and easily stoppable. There were wraiths on wings, after all; and the whole point of the Council's plan to destroy the Ring was that Sauron couldn't know what they were up to until it was too late. If Sauron had considered the possibility that they might destroy the Ring, he would have been guarding the **** out of Sammath Naur rather than sending all his forces out to destroy Aragorn's decoy army, who in Sauron's mind probably had the Ring with them and was the much bigger threat.

By the way, thank God the plot of LotR actually stands up to most such "what-if" scrutiny, unlike modern popular fantasy that's shotgunned full of plot holes before they ever make it to film form...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So writes do have a little bit of that psycho thingy in the mix too? Glad us musicologists are not alone moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    From the perspective of normal and mainstream I'm sure I could easily be considered a bit (or even a lot) "psycho", but I don't like to put such labels on anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, Duel of the Fates means the fates of the people involved in the duel. Obi-Won, Qui-Gon and Maul. All of their fates were decided in that one, epic battle. And Williams scored it brilliantly... even though most of what is heard during the battle wasn't what Williams wrote for that battle. Ugh! Luuuuuuuuuuucaaaaaaaaaaas!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    From the perspective of normal and mainstream I'm sure I could easily be considered a bit (or even a lot) "psycho", but I don't like to put such labels on anyone.

We're film music fans... there's a little psycho in all of us.

spin dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, Duel of the Fates means the fates of the people involved in the duel. Obi-Won, Qui-Gon and Maul. All of their fates were decided in that one, epic battle. And Williams scored it brilliantly... even though most of what is heard during the battle wasn't what Williams wrote for that battle. Ugh! Luuuuuuuuuuucaaaaaaaaaaas!

-Erik-

Seriously? I did not know that. Is what Williams wrote for the battle available to the public somewhere?

I don't really feel like we knew any of those characters well enough at that point to justify "Duel of the Fates" being about just their fates, but that's semantics...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Seriously? I did not know that. Is what Williams wrote for the battle available to the public somewhere?

There's a ton of additional music floating around that people ripped from various games and whatnot. The unreleased music is fantastic!

Scribe wrote
    I don't really feel like we knew any of those characters well enough at that point to justify "Duel of the Fates" being about just their fates, but that's semantics...

Well, I agree that we didn't really get to know the characters but that's Lucas's fault. Williams looked the scene and saw it as an epic battle between three people that would ultimately determine their fates in the galaxy. Two of them die and Obi-Won is asked by Yoda to train Anakin. Remember, Qui-Gon was going to train Anakin without the Jedi orders permission, which could have changed Anakin's destiny in the galaxy.

But I'm with you... Maul should have been the prequel's main bad guy! Imagine a final battle between Maul and Darth Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith to determine who would be The Emperor's apprentice? shocked

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    But if you want to go in that direction I guess you can see how pointless the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy is? I mean, why didn't Frodo just hitch a ride on the big damn Eagle, fly over the volcano and chuck the ring in essentially saving the lifes of millions of people, Hobbits, etc.

This alleged "plot hole" makes me want to puke every time I hear it brought up (although I know you're not being entirely serious with it, Erik wink ). There are a million and one reasons why that wouldn't work. Mordor's anti-air defenses including Winged Nazguls. The Eye of Sauron being able to see them before they got within a hundred miles of Mount Doom, not to mention Saruman's crows. The fact that the Eagles are quite powerful beings and therefore easily corrupted by the Ring (Hobbits are the least susceptible to it by dint of lacking ambition and pride). The fact that even Frodo wasn't actually able to toss the thing in on his own anyway and the entire plot only worked because of Gollum's intervention at the end. A non-intervention pledge by the Valar - the Eagles being vassals of Manwe and therefore technically neutral and unable to take sides other than some smaller favors for Gandalf. the Fellowship's mission being a stealthy one and big-ass birds not exactly being stealthy. The Eagles possibly being unwilling to fly over Mordor until after Sauron is vanquished - look at how hard it was to get the Ents to fight Saruman. The Eagles being unwilling to approach populated areas in general. There's more, and you can read ithere.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the Eagles; I think they're a pretty weak plot device, and Tolkien has a bad habit of using them for deus ex machina purposes (especially in The Hobbit). Perhaps the best answer to all of this is, indeed, "there would be no story," but he kind of wrote himself into a corner with them regardless.

I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of comments on how overly seriously I take this stuff. I don't take it seriously, I just love talking about it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You're such a geek! biggrin Still, I'm sure there was a better way of getting the ring into the volcano than the one the council choose. But then again, what a shit story the easier way would have been.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLAaaaaauuuhhhh.......

Oh, no I'm not. Got slightly brainwashed there dizzy

NP : THE NINTH GATE - Wojciech Kilar

Excellent, thematic, gothic tinged score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLAaaaaauuuhhhh.......

lol
  7. Demetris wrote
    One question: since you call the forum "lukewarm parts" and yesterday someone (was it you?) said that the discussions here "fuck you off" then why are you still tormenting yourself by being here?

That wasn't me, the "fucks me off" bit. tongue

In any case I was only referring to the lukewarm reception of the Desolation of Smaug score, not the forum as a whole. Obviously we're all here for the discussion and it would only be lukewarm if everyone always agreed with everyone. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, sorry, my bad! I thought otherwise. beer
  8. NP: The Lord of the Rings (1978) - Leonard Rosenman

That, too, is a very fine score. (For a much underrated film.)

Volker