• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Doesn't mean you can't just enjoy the music.

-Erik-

Which is what I try to do if I possibly can.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Lord of the Rings (1978) - Leonard Rosenman

That, too, is a very fine score. (For a much underrated film.)

Volker

beer
    I love that score to bits (which is weird, because Rosenman's modernist style -or in fact any modentist style!- generally does not appeal to me. It must have something to do with having seen the film at a very tender age, I guess?).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Captain Future wrote

Volker

I always thought that Rosenman's and Shore's scores were very different from each other. Upon revisiting both back to back it occurs to me that actually they aren't.
    Also I did not remember how beautiful that "Mithrandir" song is.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I always thought that Rosenman's and Shore's scores were very different from each other. Upon revisiting both back to back it occurs to me that actually they aren't.

HUH? shocked confused
    I find Shore VERY Romantic, Rosenman VERY modernist.
    Where do you find likenesses?

Also I did not remember how beautiful that "Mithrandir" song is.

Except it really is TOO close to Holst's Jupiter.

I know, I know...everyone does it, temp track, et cetera.
    But it's just too similar. I simply can't get past it, much as I'd want to. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. The Holst thing: That's right but in this case I can live with it.

Of course the scores differ in style just as the films do. I think there are similarities in the elements beeing used: choir, song, the action music (Helm' Deep). The general percaption of Middle-Earth of each composer isn't that different. But maybe that is just what is to expect with to scores basically addressing the same material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    The Holst thing: That's right but in this case I can live with it.

I think it's a more sensitive point with me because it was the very first time I was confronted with a "lift".

Thing is that I used to absolutely adore 'Mithrandir'!
    I kept bringing the needle back to that place on the album.
    So I was really very crestfallen when, quite some time later, I heard Holst's Planet Suite.

Ahhhh, my days of innocence... smile

I think there are similarities in the elements beeing used: choir, song, the action music (Helm' Deep). The general percaption of Middle-Earth of each composer isn't that different. But maybe that is just what is to expect with to scores basically addressing the same material.

Hmmmm, interesting. So you're considering "scope" rather than "style" the overarching similarity?
    I honestly never thought about that.
    I should try and listen to Rosenman's score in that vein some time. It's an interesting point.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

I love this score. Film is a mixed bag though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. QUEEN OF CARTHAGE - Brian Byrne

Thanks to D for pointing out this score. I was entirely unaware of it, and of this composer. This score is lovely! The opening song is incredible, and I don't generally like songs. There's lots of piano, which is a great thing, imo. It's getting darker in the middle section, now. More after I finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

I love this score. Film is a mixed bag though.

I hate that score, as I do 99% of Rosenman's work. The film is...intriguing, I guess (I remember being fascinated by the rotoscope), but in light of what was to come, it quickly fades.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    QUEEN OF CARTHAGE - Brian Byrne

Thanks to D for pointing out this score. I was entirely unaware of it, and of this composer. This score is lovely! The opening song is incredible, and I don't generally like songs. There's lots of piano, which is a great thing, imo. It's getting darker in the middle section, now. More after I finish.

It's gorgeous isn't it? 2013 is full of gems and that list i posted yesterday isn't complete smile Did you check out the rest too?

Also, be sure to check out this one here, awesome music, you'll be stunned: https://itunes.apple.com/es/album/isabe … d743890983
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: Ender's Game (2013) - Steve Jablonsky

I can't help it: I still like this score. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013 edited
    Doesn't the ostinato in the opening cue (ender's war, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ncRVF4XxFY) remind you of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMdEBFliTM biggrin i was too listening today and i figured out where i've heard if before!
  5. Argh! It's "Fishy fishy pasta pasta" all over again! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    At least we know Jablo is a family guy fan i like him more now wink
  6. If anything, that opening ostinato reminds me of Giacchino's Star Trek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013 edited
    NP: Berserk - Raymond Enoksen & Geirmund Simonsen

I encourage everyone to take a listen to this score from (I think) a 2008 Norwegian TV series:

http://www.nrk.no/programmer/tv/berserk/1.6364518

"Berserk On The Move" features a great rendition of the theme (remember those?) wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Khan's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - James Horner

Or what's'it called? biggrin Great score!

Volker
  8. Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote
    QUEEN OF CARTHAGE - Brian Byrne

It's gorgeous isn't it? 2013 is full of gems and that list i posted yesterday isn't complete smile Did you check out the rest too?

I did finish it. The most accessibly beautiful stuff is at the beginning. The middle section lagged for me, but overall, this is one of the stronger scores I've heard from this year. And the first five tracks or so were really lovely.

Demetris wrote
    Also, be sure to check out this one here, awesome music, you'll be stunned: https://itunes.apple.com/es/album/isabe … d743890983

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to get that one.
  9. Jerry Goldsmith - Rudy

A beauty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Berserk - Raymond Enoksen & Geirmund Simonsen

I encourage everyone to take a listen to this score from (I think) a 2008 Norwegian TV series:

http://www.nrk.no/programmer/tv/berserk/1.6364518

"Berserk On The Move" features a great rendition of the theme (remember those?) wink

Impressive that you've heard of this. Yeah, great theme for a rather annoying series (I don't like the people involved on the boat).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote
    Khan's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - James Horner

Volker

Or Nevsky and Khan's Battle with the Magnificent Seven Beyond the Stars biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    Atham wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Khan's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - James Horner

Volker

Or Nevsky and Khan's Battle with the Magnificent Seven Beyond the Stars biggrin

Basically, yeah! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG - Howard Shore

Love it!
  10. cheesy That makes three of us!

But the others are legion.
  11. I also quite like it, but I have to get used to it. Could somebody expand on the differences between Special and Regular editions?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm loving the special edition of Smaug!
    I believe there's 20 minutes of additional music in total from the regular edition.
  12. So far I have mostly listened to the standard edition and liked it as a more condensed presentation. Now that I have familiarized myself with the music I will give the special edition further listens.
    Other than with the previous film this time there does not seem to be any substancial music or diverging arrangements on the standard edition that would not be on the special one.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm pretty sure the special edition is just additional droning, atmospheric music, and non-thematic action music. Besides that its only slightly more expensive than the regular version, I don't see any reason to get the special edition.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Well, it does have expanded liner notes and interactive sheet music etc, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    But the others are legion.

And we're all...

.... SPARTACUS!