• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No, you're Shore's-music-not-understanding Orcs. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    ...and we're on the march.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...and we're on the march.

AWESOME track!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Best of the album, I think.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. That track would sound quite cool if not for that pesky twee little trumpet fluttering back and forth between the same two notes, over and over again, starting at around 0:48. crazy

Also, I've never understood why Rosenman made up some nonsense language for the choir to chant. This is Tolkien. TOLKIEN. It's not like there aren't enough made-up languages to go around. crazy crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not a trumpet! It's a shofar battle horn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013 edited
    NP: 12 Years A Slave - Hans Zimmer (and Benjamin Wallfisch?)

Listening to the FYC promo - http://www.foxsearchlight.com/fyc/film/ … oundtrack/ - and I am at a loss to understand how this is getting the award nominations it has received.

A good example of a score being carried along on the praise for the film itself? It must work really well in the film. Or is Zimmer a bit like John Williams now in that, Zimmer has to have at least one score in any nomination set?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote

That's cool...but it still sounds annoying. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Listening to the FYC promo - http://www.foxsearchlight.com/fyc/film/ … oundtrack/ - and I am at a loss to understand how this is getting the award nominations it has received.

A good example of a score being carried along on the praise for the film itself? It must work really well in the film. Or is Zimmer a bit like John Williams now in that, Zimmer has to have at least one score in any nomination set?

Well to be fair, the book thief isn't anything that magnificent either and it also got a nomination. Zimmer, is the big name of the new era. It's automatic nomination i think.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I do think that there's a sentimentality sometimes associated with John Williams and awards. Obviously he is still able to compose scores that are worthy of recognition (e.g., Lincoln) but I can't help wonder about nominations for scores like The Book Thief. It's an average score in my book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote

Yeah, it is Wallfisch. And I think the score does work very well in the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote

There's something primitive and primeval about it, it works and I love it. Horner uses something of a similar effect for the Klingons in Star Trek III.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's that "worthy" film tag, just like anything Holocaust based.
  6. Wrong thread. Maybe wrong place altogether for this. (Music you made yourself.)

There are days on which I listen to no music at all. Is that the same with you too?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote

There's something primitive and primeval about it, it works and I love it. Horner uses something of a similar effect for the Klingons in Star Trek III.

And how can I forget the sheer brilliance of THIS!
  7. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote

And how can I forget the sheer brilliance of THIS!

I like its use a lot more in this cue, especially how Goldsmith allows the shofar to be "overtaken" by the more traditional brass. At least the thing doesnt twitter about for a solid minute like in Rosenman's cue...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Phillistine! angry
    (They played shofars too, y'know? tongue )

NP: Ed Wood - Howard Shore
    Great send-up of late fifties horror film music, though with a bit more depth to it.
    I really like the bongo percussion driving the title track.
    One of the few non-Rings Shore soundtracks that I really enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Phillistine! angry
    (They played shofars too, y'know? tongue )

biggrin
  8. Martijn wrote
    NP: Ed Wood - Howard Shore
    Great send-up of late fifties horror film music, though with a bit more depth to it.
    I really like the bongo percussion driving the title track.
    One of the few non-Rings Shore soundtracks that I really enjoy.

I love how at one point in the opening titles, the lightning strikes sync up with Shore's orchestra hits. Hilarious narration, too. biggrin
  9. NP: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Well, I've finally seen and heard the thing. The film is, I think, a notable step up from An Unexpected Journey; they seem to have found the right tone and pace this time, with less of the awkward tonal shifts between brooding/foreboding and lighthearted adventure that the first one suffered. Smaug was an awesome menace, easily the coolest-looking (and sounding) movie dragon I've ever seen. The scene with the dwarves trying to draw him off at the very end end, as well as the barrel escape earlier on, both are great swashbuckling fun without being as stupidly preposterous as the Goblin-town sequence from the previous movie. The spider scene, on the other hand, is legitimately intense and scary. The one thing I really could have done without is the Kili-Legolas-Tauriel love triangle. I mean...yikes. How did that slice of bad fanfiction make it into the final script? And why does everything need love triangles these days?? slant vomit

Oh, also, what the hell was Stephen Fry doing in that movie? I didn't know he was in it and it was a huge WTF moment for me. I was just waiting for him to start bleating. biggrin

The score...Well, it's a Howard Shore Middle-earth score, with all of the detail, scope, thematic intelligence etc. that that entails. And in what I feel has been a pretty lukewarm year it does indeed stand head and shoulders above the competition. But with the Misty Mountains theme - the first one's best feature - completely AWOL for some reason, this score moreso than any of its predecessors lacks a core. The most prominent theme, I'd say is Smaug's - and the last thirty minutes do some amazing things with that theme, courtesy of some chilling and effectively-used gamelan - and there's a new theme for Tauriel that's quite prominent in some of the action cues. But neither of those themes are enough to really anchor an entire score, sadly. And some of the smaller themes from the first one have disappeared as well. Bilbo's theme is sadly gone, as is Gandalf's little motif (with one exception) and Radagast's outlandish fiddle-and-spoon-percussion stuff. On the flipside, there are no hair-tearing-out moments of thematic inappropriateness, or notable cues missing from the album, the way there were last time, and that if nothing else is a huge relief.

My complaints aside, I still find it a thrilling and engrossing listen (yes...ALL of it; it may not always be 100% entertaining but it is certainly never less than interesting) and it's sure to take a few more listens to really come to grips with it. A couple of action cues immediately stand out as highlights: "Flies and Spiders," "The Forest River" (this may be the most frantic and fast-paced cue Shore has penned yet!), "The Hunters" and "My Armor is Iron" in particular. "Beyond the Forest" is an excellent suite of sorts for some of the new Elf-related themes, as well. It's the least of Shore's scores for this universe, and the first one that I wouldn't give a full five-star rating to, but it is still an excellent, excellent score. When it comes to the music, this franchise need bow to no other. punk

We're recording a Soundcast episode about this film and score tomorrow and I'll be writing a fuller review of the latter after that, so keep a weather eye on Tracksounds for those in the near future. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Looking forward to that, Edmund!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Lukewarm year? Pfffft! Shore's score isn't even close to being the best fantasy adventure score of the year. What have you been listening to this year? Or better yet what haven't you been listening to?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Lukewarm year? Pfffft! Shore's score isn't even close to being the best fantasy adventure score of the year. What have you been listening to this year? Or better yet what haven't you been listening to?

-Erik-

Wat
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But neither of those themes are enough to really anchor an entire score, sadly.

Why not? Its a mid-trilogy film, thus stereotypically darker, and Smaug's theme is perfectly appropriate as a main theme in that context. Did we expect something as lyrical as the Imperial March for a CG dragon, in the 21st century where grimdark monochrome is the be-all and end-all of coolness? And I challenge everyone to name one theme composed for an American film this year that was as simultaneously beautiful, long-lined, and versatile as both a love theme and an action theme as Tauriel's theme. If you know of one, please share. Most composers don't even bother anymore to use their love themes as action themes and vice versa. So when someone does, and said theme is actually melodically pleasing, its scoregasmic. Plain and simple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I responding to Edmund's statement above.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    I responding to Edmund's statement above.

-Erik-

I meant, I wanted to know what other fantasy adventure scores are better. I wasn't even aware there had been many fantasy adventure films this year outside of the comic book stuff.
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Or better yet what haven't you been listening to?

You tell me. What exactly in the fantasy adventure genre has been better than this, in your opinion? Jack the Giant Slayer? It's good, but not that good. Elfman's Epic or Oz? Dream on. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters? I know you better than that! Mortal Instruments? Nope. Thor 2? Nada.

Unless you're counting Evil Dead as fantasy adventure... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'll easily take Ottman's Jack The Giant Slayer over Shore's score. It's in my top 10 of the year actually. I'll even take the cliched ridden Thor 2 over Shore's. At least that four chord theme is... well, obvious! While The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones dies a slow and painful death during it's last quarter the first half or so is quite good... better themes, too. This Is The End is a comedy but it's rooted in the fantasy adventure genre and features a magnificent, gothic score by Henry Jackman. I love Elfman's John Powellesque Epic. Yeah I'll take all of those over Smaug.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Did we expect something as lyrical as the Imperial March for a CG dragon, in the 21st century where grimdark monochrome is the be-all and end-all of coolness?

Why not?

Scribe wrote
    And I challenge everyone to name one theme composed for an American film this year that was as simultaneously beautiful, long-lined, and versatile as both a love theme and an action theme as Tauriel's theme. If you know of one, please share. Most composers don't even bother anymore to use their love themes as action themes and vice versa. So when someone does, and said theme is actually melodically pleasing, its scoregasmic. Plain and simple.

I don't even know where that theme is? confused

-Erik-
  11. Huh? A few weeks ago you were saying Shore's score was in your top 10 and a huge improvement over An Unexpected Journey! confused

And Thor 2? Really?