• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Huh? A few weeks ago you were saying Shore's score was in your top 10 and a huge improvement over An Unexpected Journey! confused

I said I was considering it. I considered it and NO it's not in my top 10. And yes, I do like it much more than An Unexpected Journey but that's still doesn't mean an automatic top 10 placement. It wouldn't take much for a score to beat out An Unfinished Journey.

I think what interests me the most about the Smaug score is the colourful orchestrations. Again, that might have something to do with Conrad Pope? I asked this earlier but no one answered me. Was Conrad Pope the only ADDITIONAL orchestrator on Smaug?

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And Thor 2? Really?

Not by much but yeah! But then again, Thor 2 and Smaug are scores I'd rather NOT listen to again. Actually, I'm lying. I did place that River action cue and the last cue from Thor 2 in "My Favorites" playlist.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    People's ears seem to have changed during the past few years.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    People's ears seem to have changed during the past few years.

Wat! wink
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't know, maybe I'm the crazy one, I'm just very confused and surprised by what scores which people are enjoying during the past few years, especially this last one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Which ones puzzle you?

BTW, having rethought one of my earlier posts... I'll put Smaug over Thor 2. wink I just forgot how bloody irritating Thor 2's theme really was. crazy Sorry.

Also, Where is Tauriel's theme?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Also, Where is Tauriel's theme?

Its the melodies featured in "Beyond The Forest", which then turn into action riffs in "The Forest River". It also features prominently in "Feast of Starlight" and "Kingsfoil". If I were producing the album I probably would have put "Beyond The Forest" at the beginning and called it "Love Theme From The Desolation of Smaug", so listeners would know what the hell was going on. The exact timings can be found in the OCD guy's copyright thing on jwfan. Its a bit confusing because he breaks it up into "Tauriel's Theme", "Tauriel's 2nd Theme", and "Tauriel and Kili's Love Theme (A & B Section)". But to me its all part of the same theme* and "Beyond The Forest" is the theme suite. Its actually more than we usually get these days as far as there even being theme suites at all. But the person who made the album obviously knows nothing about any of this. I don't know where the person who made the excellent original LotR albums went.

*the OCD guy is right in that they are different melodies, but I see it as a Goldsmith-type situation where you have a long melodic piece with a bridge, only in this case the bridge is supposed to represent a slightly different concept, because Shore is also OCD. And *sigh* OCD is a compliment to me, not an insult.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Which ones puzzle you?

It's just a general impression I've been increasingly getting, culminating in the lack of appreciation for Smaug from people like you who I thought would be all about a fully symphonic score drenched in constant leitmotif. And you rated scores by RC composers more highly than it. So did Demetris. That's just...ood...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    It's just a general impression I've been increasingly getting, culminating in the lack of appreciation for Smaug from people like you who I thought would be all about a fully symphonic score drenched in constant leitmotif. And you rated scores by RC composers more highly than it. So did Demetris. That's just...ood...

No it's not. I don't care if they are RC composers or not. If they write good scores then I will praise them.

Look, I love fully symphonic leitmotivic scores but if I'm having a difficult time picking up the themes and need a five thousand word document spelling it out to me then the music isn't doing its job. I didn't need a document to spell out the themes for Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings scores.

Again, just because a score is thematic and is symphonic doesn't automatically make it good. It is a step in the "right" direction though. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Its the melodies featured in "Beyond The Forest", which then turn into action riffs in "The Forest River". It also features prominently in "Feast of Starlight" and "Kingsfoil". If I were producing the album I probably would have put "Beyond The Forest" at the beginning and called it "Love Theme From The Desolation of Smaug", so listeners would know what the hell was going on. The exact timings can be found in the OCD guy's copyright thing on jwfan. Its a bit confusing because he breaks it up into "Tauriel's Theme", "Tauriel's 2nd Theme", and "Tauriel and Kili's Love Theme (A & B Section)". But to me its all part of the same theme* and "Beyond The Forest" is the theme suite. Its actually more than we usually get these days as far as there even being theme suites at all.

Thank you. I'll give those pieces another spin.

beer

Scribe wrote
    But the person who made the album obviously knows nothing about any of this. I don't know where the person who made the excellent original LotR albums went.

yeah

-Erik-
  1. EL TIEMPO ENTRE COSTURAS - Cesar Benito

This is quite good. It has some lovely music in it, some of which sounds pretty old-school. There's some more intense music as well. My favorite piece is "Entre Costuras," which is a spectacular and powerful piece. If you're on Spotify go check it out right now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think what interests me the most about the Smaug score is the colourful orchestrations. Again, that might have something to do with Conrad Pope? I asked this earlier but no one answered me. Was Conrad Pope the only ADDITIONAL orchestrator on Smaug?

-Erik-

Probably because no one went out and actually bought the score wink.

Anyhow, the booklet mentions 2 orchestrators: Conrad Pope and James Sizemore. Howard Shore is not mentioned as an orchestrator, so Conrad wasn't per se an additional one.

Peter Jackson also describes in his 2 page comment at length how they went for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and recorded in the Wellington Town Hall, which is not a recording studio but a concert chamber that was designed (over a 100 years ago) solely to get the best acoustics out of the place. Peter thinks it's got the best acoustics in the world, and Pete Cobbin, a sound engineer from Abbey Road, came over with 60-year-old valve mics that could capture those acoustics.

All this adds up to, I think, a much improved orchestral sound, placement of instruments and reverb as heard on my headphones. Especially when I go back to An Unexpected Journey afterwards I notice a decrease of quality.

The choir, by the way, was recorded in London the old fashioned way.
  2. NP: The Hobbit II - Shore

That second CD especially is bliss, just bliss.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Look, I love fully symphonic leitmotivic scores but if I'm having a difficult time picking up the themes and need a five thousand word document spelling it out to me then the music isn't doing its job. I didn't need a document to spell out the themes for Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings scores.

I don't need a document for the Hobbit scores either. I've played Desolation of Smaug once and I could already hum back to you the themes for Mirkwood, Tauriel, Tauriel and Fili ( slant ), the Woodland Realm, Lake-town, Bard the Bowman and Dale. And that's just the new themes introduced in this score. One listen. I don't just know what they sound like...I could hum them for you.
  4. By the way, I think I've come up with a preliminary one-disk playlist for it. Yeah, it's only after one listen, so I doubt it's perfect, but give it a shot and let me know what you think; I don't think I've missed any themes. This is based on the cue times from the Special Edition, mind you, so it might not be useful (or else it'll just be a bit shorter, which apparently is a good thing these days...I don't know) to those with the Standard Edition.

1. Beyond the Forest (5:28) - put at the beginning as per Scribe's idea as it's a theme suite
    2. Wilderland (4:56)
    3. Flies and Spiders (9:36)
    4. Feast of Starlight (2:48)
    5. Barrels Out of Bond (1:50)
    6. The Forest River (5:11)
    7. Thrice Welcome (3:30)
    8. Girion, Lord of Dale (4:16)
    9. A Spell of Concealment (3:23)
    10. On the Doorstep (7:44)
    11. Inside Information (3:48)
    12. A Liar and a Thief (3:41)
    13. The Hunters (9:52)
    14. My Armor is Iron (5:10)

Total Time: 1:11:07
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GUNS OF NAVARONE - Dimitri Tiomkin

This is the Prague rerecording. Excellent film music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Now THERE's a theme!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I don't need a document for the Hobbit scores either. I've played Desolation of Smaug once and I could already hum back to you the themes for Mirkwood, Tauriel, Tauriel and Fili ( slant ), the Woodland Realm, Lake-town, Bard the Bowman and Dale. And that's just the new themes introduced in this score. One listen. I don't just know what they sound like...I could hum them for you.

There's a good chance you may be autistic.
  5. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Naah, just geeky. wink
  6. Timmer wrote

The successing score by Ron Goodwin is very good too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    By the way, I think I've come up with a preliminary one-disk playlist for it. Yeah, it's only after one listen, so I doubt it's perfect, but give it a shot and let me know what you think; I don't think I've missed any themes. This is based on the cue times from the Special Edition, mind you, so it might not be useful (or else it'll just be a bit shorter, which apparently is a good thing these days...I don't know) to those with the Standard Edition.

1. Beyond the Forest (5:28) - put at the beginning as per Scribe's idea as it's a theme suite

Why not include 'Smaug'? I think that whole portion of the score could be kept?
  7. BobdH wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    By the way, I think I've come up with a preliminary one-disk playlist for it. Yeah, it's only after one listen, so I doubt it's perfect, but give it a shot and let me know what you think; I don't think I've missed any themes. This is based on the cue times from the Special Edition, mind you, so it might not be useful (or else it'll just be a bit shorter, which apparently is a good thing these days...I don't know) to those with the Standard Edition.

Why not include 'Smaug'? I think that whole portion of the score could be kept?

I was considering it - it's a good cue - but I didn't want to make the playlist too Smaug-heavy, and I figured of his five or six cues, that one was the most expendable. But I suppose you could add it and still be under 80 minutes, so be my guest. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IL PRINCIPE ABUSIVO (Umberto Scipione)

The film looks silly and it's absolutely not something I would have checked out unless I had gotten the promo, but I can't help but like the sweet and breezy music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I was considering it - it's a good cue - but I didn't want to make the playlist too Smaug-heavy, and I figured of his five or six cues, that one was the most expendable. But I suppose you could add it and still be under 80 minutes, so be my guest. smile

That's not how I'm going to do it..."Smaug" is the closest thing to a suite of the main theme that we have.
  8. I have just finished disc 2 of The Desolation of Smaug and I have to say that I cannot think of a time when I would want to listen to the score again in this form. It's such a chore.

Even chopping the score down to a shorter playlist doesn't address the issue of the meanderings of each track that surrounds some obviously-thematic material. And even with the themes that I can identify they are so short that by the time you wish they'd be expanded on a bit they are gone!

The highlight of both scores is when there is reference to the themes of the original trilogy - and that can't be good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

By "autistic", you mean, his brain works far better than average for such useful tasks? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Really? I might just be getting old and a bit senile but I listened to "Beyond the Forest" last night after reading the praise on here, liked it, listened to it again, and then couldn't have hummed the theme from it immediately after it had finished. But I did like it more than any individual track in the first score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed it is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Probably because no one went out and actually bought the score wink.

Anyhow, the booklet mentions 2 orchestrators: Conrad Pope and James Sizemore. Howard Shore is not mentioned as an orchestrator, so Conrad wasn't per se an additional one.

James Sizemore is a long standing member of Howard Shore's core team, and is based in NY (with Shore).

Conrad Pope was likely responsible for performance, on-the-podium adjustments and conforming music to the ever-changing picture.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed it is.

Argh! That's "succeeding" of course! But successful it was too. cheesy shame
  10. Jerry Goldsmith - Hoosiers

They don't make 'em like this anymore. What a masterful work, even if I mostly dislike the electronics of the era, which somehow never included the electronic works of Jerry Goldsmith.

It's the Intrada release.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website