• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Russland (2010) - Kolja Erdmann

Well, this has LotR all over it, few russian stereotypes on the other hand. A grand orchestral score.

Volker

i also love this score and the title song by alexandra seefisch is one of my favourites. they played this song (part of it) in the 6-part documentary at the end of each episode. it was always a perfect closing and worked fantastic with the images.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Patrick Doyle Jack Ryan

This is offensively dull.

Like enough of his recent works anyway :P
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I can't agree with that. Jack Ryan leaves much to be desired (and even so, it's okay enough) but other than that Doyle has been doing some really solid work lately. I honestly can't think of a bad score he's done in the last couple years. Well...I should say that in general, I'd don't think there's such a thing as a bad Doyle score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can name at least one: Jack Ryan.
  2. It's certainly the closest thing, but it's more "not very good" than outright "bad".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd don't think there's such a thing as a bad Doyle score.

I used to think this way then he yacked out Thor and Jack Ryan. Those two scores, in my books, are bad.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

Best score for a Pixar movie. So THERE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I used to think this way then he yacked out Thor and Jack Ryan. Those two scores, in my books, are bad.

-Erik-

I've not heard Jack Ryan. I wouldn't say Thor was "bad" exactly but it was certainly disappointing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

When I'm in the mood ( and I'm in the mood ) it doesn't get better than this!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. When would you ever not be in the mood? punk

I like Thor. It's got some excellent themes and is in general a lot better than it gets credit for, I think. There are a few spots where Doyle seems a little uncomfortable with that "modern" sound, but not everything with an RC influence need be automatically considered bad and that score isn't, in my books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I like Thor.

Thank you.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

Best score for a Pixar movie. So THERE.

lol

Good one!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. It's certainly Randy Newman's best score for a Pixar movie. Not sure if it's the best Newman score for a Pixar movie. It's not the best score for a Pixar movie, an honor that goes to The Incredibles for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yikes. That's one of my least favourites. Nothing wrong with it, but the bar is high.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Nothing wrong with it' is certainly the most understated way of saying how brilliant Giacchino's score is! In which case, I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I respect your opinion, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I respect your right to have an opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, my vote goes to Thomas Newman's score for Finding Nemo. Perfect film, perfect score. Though my favourite Pixar album is by a long way Giacchino's Ratatouille.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Even if it's blatantly idiotic.

biggrin
  6. Playing the role of Thor today, is Southall.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014
    Here is some factual information:

GREAT
    Toy Story 1, 2, 3
    Bug's Life
    Monsters Inc
    Finding Nemo
    Wall-E
    Ratatouille

GOOD / VERY GOOD
    Monsters Uni
    Cars
    Incredibles
    Up

NOT SO VERY GOOD
    Brave
    Cars 2

Did I forget any?
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

-Erik-

I wasn't too keen on Thor overall, but I do like that theme and the quieter moments of the score have some genuine beauty in them. We just saw THOR 2 last night I think Doyle's score works better its film than Tyler's does in its film. Tyler's score was fine, but never affected me the same way Doyle's did. That may just be because the original was a better film, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Here is some factual information:

GREAT
    Toy Story 2 & 3
    Wall-E
    Ratatouille
    Up

GOOD
    Toy Story 1
    Monsters Inc
    Monsters Uni
    Incredibles
    Brave
    Finding Nemo

NOT SO VERY GOOD
    Cars
    Cars 2
    A Bug's Life

Did I forget any?

If we are talking about scores then I fixed your broken original list above.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Uh oh...
  8. What's not so very good about A Bug's Life? Seems to me like the most robust and thematic of Newman's Pixar scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited
    It could be my memory of the movie that's holding Newman's score back but I can remember not liking it one bit... which is why I probably haven't played it since I first aired it on my show in 1998. And as entertaining as The Incredibles is I LOATHE the lift of Barry's OHMSS as the score's main theme. Irritates me every time I hear it!

-Erik-