• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'm not really a fan of Hooper, but I do love that score cool

Ditto.
    Seriously, D. Andes To Amazon is one of the finest CDs and listening experiences in all my soundtrack collecting years (there's a reason it's in the top 10 of my favourite film score CDs).
    To dismiss it merely because you don't like the composer's other works would do it a great injustice, and would sadly devoid you of a truly lovely soundtrack.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's hard to imagine not liking this one, unless you have an irrational aversion to South American-y music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's hard to imagine not liking this one, unless you have an irrational aversion to South American-y music.

That could be the reason? There's also a man on this board who should not be named but should be shamed for his dislike of Harpsichord.......fuck it......ain't that right ANTHONY tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    It's Hooper man....Whooper...

Followed up by JAMES HORNER - For Greater Glory: The True Story Of Cristiada. I remember this to be more upbeat and well, more interesting. Its largest part is slow underscore. Hm..

I think For Greater Glory is much more engaging than Black Gold...

I like both (obviously) but Black Gold is my favourite of the two (in fact only marginally behind Avatar as my favourite of his this century). "Horizon to Horizon" is one of the first things I'd put on a Horner compilation. For Greater Glory loses points only for the self-copying.

Black Gold is huge fun! Great score, bold theme and so infectious!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

That could be the reason? There's also a man on this board who should not be named but should be shamed for his dislike of Harpsichord.......fuck it......ain't that right ANTHONY tongue wink

I hate harpsichord too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm not really a fan of Hooper, but I do love that score cool

Ditto.
    Seriously, D. Andes To Amazon is one of the finest CDs and listening experiences in all my soundtrack collecting years (there's a reason it's in the top 10 of my favourite film score CDs).
    To dismiss it merely because you don't like the composer's other works would do it a great injustice, and would sadly devoid you of a truly lovely soundtrack.

Heard it...not for me. Heavily american orchestral music is not my thing either..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

That could be the reason? There's also a man on this board who should not be named but should be shamed for his dislike of Harpsichord.......fuck it......ain't that right ANTHONY and DEMETRIS tongue wink

I hate harpsichord too.

I know!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. edit
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ROBE - Alfred Newman

Sublime! love

I WANT A COMPLETE BRAND NEW RECORDING!
  2. There is of course the great suite as recorded by Charles Gerhardt. (Captain from Castile)

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know but I want more than a suite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one for the heads up though beer

NP : THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF Alfred Newman

Gerhardt conducts = Stunning! love
  3. NP: Angel (Philippe Rombi)

Swoon, swoon, swoon. And what a lovely swoon it is.
    (I think part of Morricone's Legend of 1900 was in the temp track? No matter, it transcends that.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    It's Hooper man....Whooper...

Followed up by JAMES HORNER - For Greater Glory: The True Story Of Cristiada. I remember this to be more upbeat and well, more interesting. Its largest part is slow underscore. Hm..

I think For Greater Glory is much more engaging than Black Gold...

I like both (obviously) but Black Gold is my favourite of the two (in fact only marginally behind Avatar as my favourite of his this century). "Horizon to Horizon" is one of the first things I'd put on a Horner compilation. For Greater Glory loses points only for the self-copying.

I was humming a track from For Greater Glory earlier today. I think it's his best score since Avatar.

Black Gold is good too but a bit repetitive. I love the battle music towards the end though.
  5. Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    The Manchurian Candidate - Rachel Portman

Absolutely love the dark, ominous tones of this score, especially in the brilliant 'Deep Implant Behaviour Modification'. And it's like nothing else she's ever written.

Love it love it too; shame she didn't put out any other such score other than HUMAN STAIN (have you heard it? if not, do it asap; lovely theme, albeit repetitive (as all Rachel Portman scores anyway wink)

David OC wrote
    Bobby Jones - James Horner

Solid if unspectacular drama score. A couple of really nice new themes amidst the odd Celtic flavoured noodling. But I must say on those 3 or 4 occasions when he drops that Braveheart theme in there, verbatim, it's a little distracting! rolleyes

Whre is he btw?

He's doing classical music for the time being. His next film project is a movie called Wolf Totem, by the same director of Enemy at the Gates, which I enjoyed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Angel (Philippe Rombi)

Swoon, swoon, swoon. And what a lovely swoon it is.
    (I think part of Morricone's Legend of 1900 was in the temp track? No matter, it transcends that.)

Love it. Rombi is gold, shame he hasn't developed much more director to composer relationships all these years; he's rather confined to francois ozon..
  6. Speaking of which...

Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

This score has emerged as one of my favorite Horners, but having listened to a whole bunch of Shostakovich and Prokofiev lately, it's clear that Horner loves the Russian composers. shame
  7. Seriously, "Danilov's Confession" is almost a direct lift from Shostakovich's 11th.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Speaking of which...

This score has emerged as one of my favorite Horners, but having listened to a whole bunch of Shostakovich and Prokofiev lately, it's clear that Horner loves the Russian composers. shame

Loving it. One of my early favorites, great film too, masterfully executed.
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Seriously, "Danilov's Confession" is almost a direct lift from Shostakovich's 11th.

As I didn't like Cristiada, this is a score where the references do NOT annoy me, even the four-note motif is such a big part of the overall sound of the score that it's uncanny.

There's also the 5th in The Hunter Becomes The Hunted (that bit for harp and flute is a direct lift from a bit from the Largo, and I think I won't exaggerate *much* if I say it's one of my favourite single classical tracks ever!). Horner references the Largo heavily in his career. It has to be pointed out that one of the main recurring motifs in his Jack Ryan scores (Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger) is a combination of that piece with Khachaturian's Adagio (also something Horner seems very partial with since Aliens, though there I can't escape the thought that it was actually a 2001 reference) from the Gayane ballet.

When it comes to Enemy at the Gates I marvel not just as the great setpiece, which is the first track, a tour-de-force in symphonic development to the point of sounding like a part of a symphony than "just a film score", but at something I sometimes took a grudge with Horner at that time of his career. It's coherently and relentlessly bleak. The Russian composers he picked for the score, very smartly, not just add to the bleakness (Shostakovich's "dirty" harmony, the Prokofiev idea of alternating half-tones, in Horner also prevalent in Glory, though not as important for the emotional character of that score as it is here), but also he picked some of the great masters of irony in classical music. The faux-fanfare in Vassili's Fame Spreads (though that one harkens more at Britten, doesn't it? I'm asking because I tried the War Requiem and while appreciating its brilliance it wasn't the right mood for it), the choral outburst there with the Russian cliches perfectly shows that there is something quite wrong there, but showed quite subtly. So the combination of the bleakness beautifully referring to the nonsense of war (and especially a battle as vicious as Stalingrad was in reality, though actually it was much more dirty fight, featuring street-to-street combat rather than mass charges by the Soviets) AND the winter environment. It is indeed the musical epitome of Rattenkrieg, the war of the rats, as Germans called the battle. I don't remember if the movie actually shows how the German soldiers put in a very difficult situation (being, literally, in between two Russian armies) freezing to death in scores, as it was in reality.

Brilliant score that made me a Horner fan after being a hater for a couple of years. After this one I binge-listened to his career and found a new appreciation (same thing happened with me and Brian Tyler, incidentally, though finding my appreciation took longer and a score like Far Cry 3) in him, though it took me many more years to actually find something to like in Titanic outside of the action music.

EDIT: I had to make it clear that I'm aware that the ballet was called Gayane and not composed by Gayane biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Speaking of which...

As a massive fan of both Shoshtakovitch and Prokofiev there is no doubt that Horner, who I am also a massive fan of, has pillaged from the great Russians throughout his career and you know what? I don't care! As Igor Stravinsky said, 'bad composers borrow, great composers steal' wink ( or something like that )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There's also the SCHINDLER'S LIST ordeal in that score, but I don't care, really. A lot of is blown out of proportion. Horner is pretty friggin' fantastic anyway!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oblivion Joseph Trapenese and M25

My favourite thing about this score isn't the score, it's the song. I want moar songs like this please.
  9. A little bit of a mix for today's playlist:
    - The Sum of All Fears - Jerry Goldsmith
    I'm getting warmer to this one with each listen

- The Stepford Wives - David Arnold
    It's like the Elfman theme in a non-Elfman score

- Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith
    One of the best sports score there is
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    - The Stepford Wives - David Arnold
    It's like the Elfman theme in a non-Elfman score

Or it's a spin of Williams' Hedwig's Theme. wink Either way, it's a great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD - Alfred Newman

More sublimeness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    There's also the SCHINDLER'S LIST ordeal in that score, but I don't care, really. A lot of is blown out of proportion. Horner is pretty friggin' fantastic anyway!

Horner and Williams both stole that from Mahler. And I don't care.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Everybody stole from Bach and Beethoven, Friggin thieves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    A little bit of a mix for today's playlist:
    - The Sum of All Fears - Jerry Goldsmith
    I'm getting warmer to this one with each listen

Love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WIND AND THE LION - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant!