• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014
    oh, wrong thread. Fuck it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've been here before!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Prometheus

THIS FILM MAKES NO SENSE BUT IT'S SO GODDAMN PRETTY. crazy

First watch?

No. I just felt the urge to watch it for its visuals. But I forgot how retarded and infuriating the script is (and its pro-religion, anti scientific message). Fuck you Ridley Scott.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I want to see it again. I saw it the once at the cinema and was very overwhelmed by the visuals ( not hard in a Scott sci-fi or fantasy film ) and didn't really take much else in.
  1. I like the violinist in the room with the flashing screens. Hints of a much more interesting film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. Also, the surgery scene is brilliant. But it sets up so many unanswered questions, plot holes and illogical character motivations. I just don't understand how one (or many, as is usually the case these days) sits down and figures "Yes, this is the story I want to tell. None of it makes sense, and it doesn't answer any of its own questions! Brilliant. Get me Ridley Scott, he loves quasi-religous garbage!"

There's one line that sums up my biggest gripe with this film. After discovering there is oxygen in the air, they decide whether or not to take their breathing apparatuses off: "Don't be a skeptic." Don't be a skeptic!? What if there's an alien disease floating around in the air?! Did you check for that? Being a skeptic is what keeps you alive, asshole.
  2. Just because a religious character happens to be the protagonist (and only survivor) doesn't mean that the film has a pro-religious and anti-scientific stance. Ridley Scott is actually one of the most vocally anti-theist directors there could be (making some very valid, but also some invalid points). And how the hell can a movie promote religion if it supports a sort of panspermic stance when it comes to origins of humanity (that said, the basic inspiration behind the film was pseudo-scientific, I can't imagine anyone treats Erich von Daniken seriously, really, but whatever, but still it's NOT a religious stance if we claim that our gods are really aliens... unless we're Tom Cruise, of course). So she is a Christian, she survives and... that's about all.

And the line you have a gripe with is just a badly written line that was supposed to be funny. But... wasn't.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: My Name Is Nobody - Ennio Morricone

Varied and quirky score from Morricone. A lot more in this one than I remember.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I can't imagine anyone treats Erich von Daniken seriously

Watch it mate, I do! uhm

How else would you explain about things our governments would rather we didn't know? I've seen the actual picture of a 600 thousand ton ancient pyramid turned upside down....how do you explain that!?

Someone tried to dismiss it as an ornamental bird table, but what the fuck do they know.
  4. I think I agree with Albert Einstein's statement that the proof of alien intelligence is that they didn't try to make any contact biggrin
  5. Speaking of von Däniken (or Brad Steiger for that matter) ...

NP: Chariots of the Gods (1970) - Peter Thomas

Cool, jazzy 70s music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Good Wife - David Buckley

Very enjoyable and recommended. As a lover of the Baroque and Classical period, I'm amazed that it's making a comeback to TV in such a nice way, on a popular Network show too. The underscore gives the show a very nice classy touch, and has been redone a bit for the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just because a religious character happens to be the protagonist (and only survivor) doesn't mean that the film has a pro-religious and anti-scientific stance. Ridley Scott is actually one of the most vocally anti-theist directors there could be (making some very valid, but also some invalid points). And how the hell can a movie promote religion if it supports a sort of panspermic stance when it comes to origins of humanity (that said, the basic inspiration behind the film was pseudo-scientific, I can't imagine anyone treats Erich von Daniken seriously, really, but whatever, but still it's NOT a religious stance if we claim that our gods are really aliens... unless we're Tom Cruise, of course). So she is a Christian, she survives and... that's about all.

And the line you have a gripe with is just a badly written line that was supposed to be funny. But... wasn't.

I did wonder who would jump to this film's defence first (my money was on Thor, but you were a close second).

I didn't say this film was pro Christian, I said it was pro religious. Or pro faith. Or pro bullshit. Whatever word you prefer. The fact that she's Christian in the film is largely a result of its intended audience rather than a specific focus on Christian mythology, this much is true (even if it will broadly appeal to Christian ideals). It may not try to convince us of one particular religion, but it certainly takes a misty-eyed view of faith, which is always a safe approach in mass-market films. I don't know of Scott's personal feelings towards theism or indeed religion, but this film leads me to believe he may have had a change of heart if what you say is true. (Or just didn't care enough to change the script.)

First, we get the dream sequence with Shaw as a little girl talking to her father about death, whom then proceeds to tell her that "everyone" has some form of belief in the after life, where he himself believes in heaven - because that is what he chooses to believe (as if one can choose a belief!) That is anti-scientific. It may largely be a semantic gripe, but semantics are important if words are to have any effectiveness.

The crew of the ship are then briefed about the "mission" (whom, for some inexplicable reason, are only briefed after two years of cryogenic sleep, where one can also apparently have dreams). When asked what evidence they have for these 'Engineers', the answer is simply glossed over by our main protagonist with the response "Because I choose to believe." That's implicitly anti-scientific. The biologist then asks the question "What about evolution?", a surprisingly valid point from the writers who seem only to share a single brain cell between them, but decided to leave it unanswered. And, by extension, what then should have been asked is why do we share the DNA of every other living thing on this planet if we were 'engineered'? (And why does the biologist want to walk away from the first ever encounter with an alien body when they find the decapitated Engineer? One would have assumed his scientific curiosity would have overcome his various other concerns, especially as he was chosen and opted for this presumably dangerous outer-space mission in the first place.)

Next is Guy Pearce, who for some reason is in shitty old-man makeup (maybe they plan to do some sort of prequel to this prequel or a flashback? Covering their options, so to speak. I dunno). He asks -and by extension the film asks- what is our 'purpose', "why" are we here, as though it's a valid question to ask. The film gives credence to this pro-religious line of reasoning by granting it validity throughout the film, rather than viewing it objectively as a human phenomenon (which it is). It's certainly a relevant topic to explore, but a little objectivity would have been nice.

Then of course is the 'Don't be a skeptic' line. I don't agree it was a joke, as the film is clearly holding "faith" in high regard. Had he said that line and then preceded to have his head explode due to some alien toxin in the air, then yes, that would have been a nice little joke. (If it indeed it was a joke, then yes, it's equally lame.)

Then, when all is said and done, she doesn't lose her faith! Given that, it's hard to see it as anything other than pro-faith, anti-scientific, especially given that what she has learned and seen with her own eyes directly contradicts her religion's core tenet.

This film is almost as retarded as the Christian myth itself. But much like Christianity, the art based around it is rather impressive.
  6. I don't like the film. I think it's the best-directed-worst-script in cinema's history and the film is often close to being in the realm of "literary retardedness", due to the script's logic.

Ridley Scott made his most anti-religious remarks AFTER making Prometheus, in fact even during the press junkets, saying things like (not a literal quote, but not far from the style): Well, God didn't create us, fucking aliens did and that's what I wanted to say.

Obviously a literally origin story (origin of humanity/life) is touching upon a metaphysical issue and HAS to deal with metaphysics, ie. something that is quite beyond logical reasoning (it's basic definitions of what the world is to us). In fact, I'll go as far as to consider that logic hurts metaphysics in terms of it being something quite emotional, something all of us have to deal with, but isn't a fully rational idea (being in awe by the knowledge that we're made of the same particles as stars are is based on scientific knowledge, which Neil deGrasse-Tyson undeniably has in spades, but that statement was an emotional one, not a logical one in terms of leading to any scientific theories or conclusions). I know you disagree with that, but I'll settle for the fact that I have quite a bit of history of philosophy (of the 20th century, to be precise) behind me, including staunch logicians and philosophers of language. To the point that it actually led these philosophers to reject any metaphysics whatsoever (though there is a bit of hypocrisy to that I won't delve into).

Dealing with metaphysical issues, however, doesn't mean that the film is pro-religious. It is philosophically retarded at times, I agree, but remember that this director made a film about Middle Ages where the main character is an agnostic tolerant knight in the middle of the Crusades, who I wonder why wasn't chosen the President of the Kingdom of Heaven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark John Williams

Now this is heaven!
  7. And quite religious in a rather serious way. The film I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean in a fun way. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

Superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Better than watching Footie.... FACT!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's not exactly a high standard. Stepping on a nail barefooted is better than watching football.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmm? Listening to Man of Steel might be pushing it.
  8. Poor Steven! He is cursed to hate what everybody else loves! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I am?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    Better than watching Footie.... FACT!!!

Steven wrote
    That's not exactly a high standard. Stepping on a nail barefooted is better than watching football.

Timmer and Steven are my favoritest persons ever.

NP: Game Of Thrones Season 4 - Ramin Djawadi
    Not as strong as its predecessors, by quite a margin.
    Maybe I'll appreciate it more once I have actually watched this season, but for now at least musically I'm rather underwhelmed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
    I'm not even going to get into the PROMETHEUS discussion again. All I need to reiterate at this point is that it's the best film of 2012 -- by a WIDE margin.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't like the film. I think it's the best-directed-worst-script in cinema's history ...

I can't imagine the character continuity issues*, the choice of a young actor in old age make-up as Weyland, or Charlize Theron's strange decision to run underneath the ship can be blamed on the writer. wink

* Classic signs of cutting an edit down either because of unworkable performance or trying to fit smaller screen time.
  10. Thor wrote
    I'm not even going to get into the PROMETHEUS discussion again. All I need to reiterate at this point is that it's the best film of 2012 -- by a WIDE margin.

What do you make of Pawel's contention that it's the worst-written, best-directed film of that year? (And do elaborate.)

Pawel, feel free to reply in anticipation of Thor's response. wink
  11. NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (Alexandre Desplat)

Beautifully-detailed piece of storytelling. While the second score has the very emotive theme for Lily, it did feel like this score was setting up a different kind of musical resolution to what we ended up getting. The fine detailing of cues like 'Dobby' and 'The Deathly Hallows' stands out the more I listen to it.

Does anyone know what the cue 'Lovegood' was written for? It's not in the film. Were scenes cut?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014 edited
    NP: Cosmos - Alan Silvestri

Where has this Silvestri been for the last few years?

franz_conrad wroteDoes anyone know what the cue 'Lovegood' was written for? It's not in the film. Were scenes cut?

I believe this is an album arrangement of the Xenophilius Lovegood material that was recorded but not used in the film.