• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Shaft was one of those scores where the title theme, I didn't know whether to count it as a song or a track that just includes vocals. But, it's certainly on my favourites list. And there's a lot more songs I could add from Superfly.

And, yes, only one Legrand song on my list...at the moment. Any Legrand songs you'd recommend - other than "The Windmills of Your Mind"; I'm a bit on the fence about that song.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014
    Well, SHAFT won an Oscar for best song but to be honest I'm more in your camp on that one.

As for Legrand, 'Windmills' is what I was thinking of. There's more but I can't remember the titles because they're in French.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

Contrary to popular opinion and attitudes (myself included), there have been some genuinely great scores released since this film came out. Some of them have even come close to equalling how much I enjoy this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014 edited
    For me this is one of those great scores since.

NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

I like moody, I love moody!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Cutthroat Island (1995) - John Debney

I finally got round to obtain the 2-disc C&C Prometheus release of this score. So great!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Yes! That first track is incredible.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes! That first track is incredible.

biggrin applause

I know where you're coming from but I like all the moody shit and stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

Very enjoyable, if repetitive.
  3. NP: COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey Vol. 1 (2014) - Alan Silvestri

OK, downloaded it. It's nice, comparable to what Fenton did for the BBC. Yet if you are familliar with Silvestri you won't find too much things that you haven't heard in similar form before. I think I'll leave it at this sample.

Volker
  4. Timmer wrote

sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey Vol. 1 (2014) - Alan Silvestri

OK, downloaded it. It's nice, comparable to what Fenton did for the BBC.

Comparable in that they were both written for documentaries, yes.
  5. And comparable in terms of quality. Wich is to say both are good, sometimes very good.
  6. Oh goodness, I think Fenton's stuff is much more memorable than Silvestri's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ET - John Williams

The original album, of course (I'm not a complete fool). Simply outstanding, as good as this kind of film music gets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Oh goodness, I think Fenton's stuff is much more memorable than Silvestri's.

Stylistically, Silvestri's stuff is a little, tiny bit more varied than Fenton's. In every other way, Fenton wins, I'd say.

If only Silvestri had listened to Fenton's "The Kelp Forest" when writing the cool electronic stuff to go along with the cool mysterious-natural-wonders imagery...that shit would go into my top 5 of the year, in all likelihood.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014 edited
    Spinning Dolphins. Case closed, move along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Hidden Moon - Luis Bacalov

This is a beautiful score - due out from Varese soon, if not already. Orchestra (a lot of strings) with accordion/bandoneon and also acoustic guitar to give a Latin feel to the score and there's a hint of pan pipes too. There's a gorgeous main love theme that appears throughout the score.

Surprisingly, this appears to be my first Bacalov score. And it's a great one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: 50 To 1 - William Ross

I've put the country/bluegrass tracks to one side and left the more orchestral tracks in my playlist - and that makes for great listening. Tracks such as "The Breeders' Cup" and "The Kentucky Derby" are some of the most enjoyable of the year so far.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Cool World - Mark Isham

Exceptional in every way: spirited jazzy bursts, moody electronics overlaid with a big orchestra. From the 'Cool World Stomp' to the sultry love theme and so much diverse material elsewhere this is a brilliant score all the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Spinning Dolphins. Case closed, move along.

YES!

I never thought of comparing Cosmos to much of Fenton's documentary scores though. The former contains more storytelling and has an overarching story over each episode whereas Fenton can let himself go loose in the many smaller 'stories' that happen in one episode, and often stands on itself. Not that it makes much difference but Fenton wins the contest, not in the least for memorability! But I quite like Cosmos too. A bit anonymous and predictable in the series but very nice to listen to.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COSMOS: A SPACE TIME ODYSSEY VOL. 4 - Alan Silvestri

A very mixed bunch these. Some of it makes me yawn, some of it is great, some of the electronics are great and some of the electronics scream 'please stop the 80's I want to get off'.

I have also noted that there's a good number of tracks throughout the volumes that have some real 'sit up and take notice' moments but they never deliver leaving me, as the listener, unsatisfied. Just listen to, for example, 'Once There Was A World' from this album, check it out at the 1 minute 20 second mark and you get 40 seconds of excitement that promises but doesn't deliver.

I suspect there's a good singular album to be made from these four volumes.
  8. Timmer wrote
    NP : COSMOS: A SPACE TIME ODYSSEY VOL. 4 - Alan Silvestri

I suspect there's a good singular album to be made from these four volumes.

That was my exact thought yesterday when I listened to the first volume and to the samples of the other three.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

I still dislike the generic action music but I'm glad I gave this a long break because I'm appreciating this score a lot more now.

A shame this track wasn't included on the official release, the lovely, sensual kind of track you used to get with early Barry JB scores.
  9. I still beg to differ about statements that the action music is generic, there is so much of Thomas Newman's distinct style to the score (even the harmony of the track you posted).

However to me the best of both worlds - the Bond sound (done way more subtle than Arnold ever has) and Newman's style is the exquisite New Digs.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We'll put it down to a continuing brain fart, because I can't think how the action music could be described as generic. dizzy

In fact, what I love about Newman's action music is that it meets every modern requirement for Hollywood films without being yet another generic RC/Zimmer clone score, and still has Newman's undeniable stamp on the music (there are a few moments where the Zimmer influence is heard, but it's forgivable given how good the score is). It's really quite brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I really liked Newman's action music, but I'm still waiting for the day we get another grand David Arnold sounding action cue a la White Knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sleep

NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

Never seen the film. Have no intention of ever seeing the film. Love the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That score certainly blows the COBWEBS away.

Eh? Eh?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    be still my aching ribs