• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014
    Thor wrote
    endless banging and drumming.

I agree. Fuck yeah! punk
  1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Sea Wolf / The Adventures of Robin Hood / The Sea Hawk
    The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Volume I and II. Rumon Gamba conducting the BBC Philharmonics

It's my third re-recording of The Sea Hawk, beyond Kujan and Stromberg, the Suite recorded by Gerhardt not counting. I love the sound of these Chandos recordings. And I believe I prefer the more compact presentation of the score to the complete recording on Naxxos, great as it is.

Volker

I love CHANDOS film music series and the Korngold CD is no exception, great stuff! I do wish they could concentrate on more British composers though, particularly those that are less represented on record such as Humphrey Searle, Wilfred Josephs and David Whitaker.

Never hear of these guys. I'm afraid, sales would not be that impressive beyond the Home Island.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: STANDING UP (Brian Tyler)

My favourite Tyler....maybe because it's very un-Tyler-like.

He's gone into that mode a few times, and I always like his scores like that far more than his normal stuff. STANDING UP, THE GREATEST GAME..., and PARTITION are all quite good, IMO.

Partition is pretty good. Greatest Game is entertaining but my word, that Legends of the Fall temp track is awfully transparent...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Sea Wolf / The Adventures of Robin Hood / The Sea Hawk
    The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Volume I and II. Rumon Gamba conducting the BBC Philharmonics

It's my third re-recording of The Sea Hawk, beyond Kujan and Stromberg, the Suite recorded by Gerhardt not counting. I love the sound of these Chandos recordings. And I believe I prefer the more compact presentation of the score to the complete recording on Naxxos, great as it is.

Volker

I love CHANDOS film music series and the Korngold CD is no exception, great stuff! I do wish they could concentrate on more British composers though, particularly those that are less represented on record such as Humphrey Searle, Wilfred Josephs and David Whitaker.

Never hear of these guys. I'm afraid, sales would not be that impressive beyond the Home Island.

They've done albums of Clifford Parker, William Alwyn, Brian Easdale, Stanley Black and more so why not? On the other hand there's been Shostakovitch, Malcolm Arnold, Ron Goodwin....the former being a huge name classical composer on a classical label so that's a no brainer, the latter two having popular hit scores and being names more familiar with the public if only through the popularity of the films they worked on.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Percy Jackson - Christophe Beck

Simple but very effective binding main theme and some strong action cues too. A lot better than I remember actually.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Been listening to The Shawshank Redemption for the first time in an obscenely long time. You sometimes forget, other than the spine-tingling final two cues, how much other great stuff there is to savour about scores of this quality. Even the briefest cues like 'May' and 'Workfield' are intrinsic to its overall effectiveness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA LISTE DE MES ENVIES (John Erik Kaada)

Quirky, but emotional and thematic score by one of Norway's foremost composers/artists for this independent French film.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: LA LISTE DE MES ENVIES (John Erik Kaada)

Quirky, but emotional and thematic score by one of Norway's foremost composers/artists for this independent French film.

Sorry Thor, but I didn't enjoy this one at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014 edited
    Sorry to hear that. As someone who's followed Kaada's career, this one actually took me by surprise. It has more symphonic elements while retaining his unique 'quirk' style.

Here are a couple of previous, great tracks that are more in his usual style:

Hardangervidda from O'HORTEN

"From Here On It Got Rough" -- non-film music, live performance

He's a bit like the Norwegian version of Yann Thiersen. I guess one has to be attuned to that particular style to appreciate it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Looking back, "didn't enjoy this one at all" sounds a bit too extreme a statement. I think that this score just didn't grab me on my first listen. Looking through his iTunes list, O'Horten and Natural Born Star are a couple of other albums that I'll take a listen to. And I'll certainly be revisiting La Liste de Mes Envies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    He should do it more. Shows that he has the chops for more than just endless banging and drumming.

Tyler would be more fun to watch* than he is to listen to. His seemingly endless 'banging and drumming' routine is boring and tedious.

*...and nobody can take an ear bashing drum solo for more than a minute or two anyway wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. Rather awful isn't it.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MILLIONS OF WAYS FRED WEST CAN KILL YOU - Joel McNeely

I wasn't sure about this at first, straight into a Tiomkin/Frankie Laine Rawhide pastiche and a score that's a jumble of Moross/Bernstein & Goldsmith, but this score really grows on you and I'm really enjoying this, good and refreshingly "old skool" film music.

In fact I'm going to play this score again right now!
  5. Timmer wrote

I wasn't sure about this at first, straight into a Tiomkin/Frankie Laine Rawhide pastiche and a score that's a jumble of Moross/Bernstein & Goldsmith, but this score really grows on you and I'm really enjoying this, good and refreshingly "old skool" film music.

I'm not sure about this one. It's all very well done but I can't help just wanting to listen to an original Moross or Bernstein western score. Or an original McNeely score? Obviously, "old skool" western scoring was what was asked for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm not sure about this one. It's all very well done but I can't help just wanting to listen to an original Moross or Bernstein western score. Or an original McNeely score? Obviously, "old skool" western scoring was what was asked for.

I can well understand that. There's a couple of times in the score where it starts off with 'swirling violins' and you feel stunted and unsatisfied when it doesn't morph into the most glorious theme mankind has ever heard ( The Big Country ), but like I said, it eventually won me over.

p.s. I'm sure I heard the Pirates of The Caribbean theme in one of the tracks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. Rather.

yeah

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    the most glorious theme mankind has ever heard ( The Big Country )

I associate that theme too much with parodies to be able to enjoy it. But then Jaws has probably reached the same level of 'parody', and yet I can still listen to that music completely detached from pop culture. (Which is to say I'm not really a big fan of The Big Country. Give me Bernstein, Morricone or Goldsmith westerns any day.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. Rather.

yeah

beer

Let me surprise you all by saying that Rammstein is one of my favourite bands, and it's not for nothing that hard-hitting psytrance/goa is one of my favourite genres.

But there's a time and place for everything.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I associate that theme too much with parodies to be able to enjoy it. But then Jaws has probably reached the same level of 'parody', and yet I can still listen to that music completely detached from pop culture.

...and the James Bond theme and The Good The Bad The Ugly and.....

None of it bothers me.

Steven wrote
    I'm not really a big fan of The Big Country. Give me Bernstein, Morricone or Goldsmith westerns any day.)

Which makes you partially retarded, I say partially because you do show some good taste.

Thor wrote
    Rammstein

Yeah! Orc Rock!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Let me surprise you all by saying that Rammstein is one of my favourite bands, and it's not for nothing that hard-hitting psytrance/goa is one of my favourite genres.

You're not fooling anyone, old man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I associate that theme too much with parodies to be able to enjoy it. But then Jaws has probably reached the same level of 'parody', and yet I can still listen to that music completely detached from pop culture.

...and the James Bond theme and The Good The Bad The Ugly and.....

None of it bothers me.

Me neither. I must just not like this score. tongue

Steven wrote
    I'm not really a big fan of The Big Country. Give me Bernstein, Morricone or Goldsmith westerns any day.)

Which makes you partially retarded, I say partially because you do show some good taste.

It took me a lot of hard work to get to where I am today.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Succeed you did biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DERP!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BUTTERFLY'S DREAM (Rahman Altin)

Lyrical, sweet with some interesting instrumental choices (discrete use of accordion, for example).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. David OC wrote
    Been listening to The Shawshank Redemption for the first time in an obscenely long time. You sometimes forget, other than the spine-tingling final two cues, how much other great stuff there is to savour about scores of this quality. Even the briefest cues like 'May' and 'Workfield' are intrinsic to its overall effectiveness.

Yes. "Suds on the Roof" is lovely and the title track is extraordinary.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    Absolutely Kevin, it's a standout moment when that extraordinary theme plays gently for the first time in 'Suds on the Roof'.

The Black Dahlia - Mark Isham

Superb for the most part. Been quite some time since he composed something as dynamic as 'The Zoot Suit Riots' or 'Death at the Olympic'.
  7. 'Death at the Olympic' is one fantastic cue. (Great set piece on De Palma's part too. Sad that the film wasn't quite the triumph it should have been.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. NP: The Best Offer (Ennio Morricone)

Morricone really works at another level to everyone else. It is so clearly one of his works, such an elegant set of choices for this story.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2014
    NP : YOU ONLY LOVE ONCE - Jacques Loussier

This is an excellent jazzy score! love
  9. Maleficent (2014) - James Newton Howard

I don't think JNW didn't do any good scores in the last 10 years. I liked The Hunger Games, I think his contribution to the first two Black Knight films is underrated, and I loved Snow White and the Huntsman to which Maleficent is a wonderful companion. Still, Maleficent is score of overpowering beauty. Bliss!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.