• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014 edited
    NP : 'BOOM!' - John Barry

love

See also: YOUR ALL TIME FAVOURITE FILM SCORE ALBUMS!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Just played: STAR TREK III: The Search for Spock (1984) - James Horner

This is a splendid score! I love the ethnic elements that Horner comes up with. They give the score a unique and ethereal touch. Its voice is much more indepenent than that of "Khan" that owes heavily to "Battle Beyond the Stars". The nod towards Alexander Courage in the End Credits cue gives me goosebumps.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman

My all time favorite Newman. "Murder in Four Parts" is one of his best pieces. I especially enjoy it because it features a solo section for double bass, my favorite instrument besides the piano.

This is second only to Shawshank Redemption for me, but only just. It's a brilliant score.

Agreed. And a good year for scores it came from -- this, Signs, The Dancer Upstairs... very solid year. 'Ghosts' in particular, probably because of the scene in which its used, is my favourite.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014 edited
    I Guardiani del Cielo - Ennio Morricone

A wonderful piece of work - similar to Nostromo in several ways (one cue is almost comically similar to "The Tropical Variation") and to Secret of the Sahara in others. This would be on everyone's list of favourite scores of the 90s had it been written by an American composer for an American film.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014
    Frozen - Christophe Beck

Top notch animation score with some excellent orchestrations. Only complaint is too many short cues!
  3. POWSTANIE WARSZAWSKIE (WARSAW UPRISING) - Bartosz Chajdecki

I got to hear this score today for the first time. Fans of Chajdecki's work last year will be pleased with this one. That opening track is great - it's a solid theme first elegantly and then powerfully presented on strings. It's one of the best pieces I've heard this year. The rest of the score is high quality, too, with some interesting musical choices. There's some interest ambient sound going on in the third track that Thor will probably enjoy a lot (and not just Thor, but he's who I thought of listening to it). Chajdecki incorporates something like an accordion (it seems like there are a few instruments like that but I'm ignorant of all of them) in a cool way in one track, as well as electric guitar through much of the score under the orchestra in a way that reminded me a little of parts of inception. The reappearance of the main theme in the final track includes the guitar and drums which makes it quite distinct from its orchestration in the first track. The penultimate track is tragic, as befits the subject matter. This is a strong score and will probably end up in my top ten for the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the recommendation, christopher. I like what I have of Chajdecki so far (BACZYNSKI and CZAS HONORU), so I'll definitely check out this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MALEFICENT - James Newton Howard

So far, 10 minutes in and I like what I hear.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP : MALEFICENT - James Newton Howard

I've just finished it and all I can say is welcome back Mr. Newton Howard. We missed you! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014 edited
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the album does teter off after a great opening, especially as far as thematic material is concerned, but there are many good tracks. The overall balance also seems well thought out (the action with the calm), so they've tried to carefully construct a listening experience.

Although I'm not totally won over, this does seem to be closer to his former self than most else of what he's been doing in the last 10 years or so.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the album does teter off after a great opening, especially as far as thematic material is concerned, but there are many good tracks. The overall balance also seems well thought out (the action with the calm), so they've tried to carefully construct a listening experience.

Although I'm not totally won over, this does seem to be closer to his former self than most else of what he's been doing in the last 10 years or so.

A good assessment Thor and I pretty much agree with it. It was also very refreshing for me not to hear generic Zimmerisms like some of JNH's recent scoring, I liked this and will be returning for more listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    10^6 Ways to Die in the West - Joel McNeely

Extremely enjoyable. Elmer pastiche for much of it, Williams-style action later on.
  4. NP: Goodbye & Amen - Guido & Maurizio De Angelis

Definitely a score of two halves - and one that certainly runs with a couple of themes in a score and repeats them again and again.

The theme heard in "Goodbye & Amen (Seq. 1)" is one that sticks in the mind. The other main theme/motif is weird/terrible!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Goodbye & Amen - Guido & Maurizio De Angelis

Definitely a score of two halves - and one that certainly runs with a couple of themes in a score and repeats them again and again.

The theme heard in "Goodbye & Amen (Seq. 1)" is one that sticks in the mind. The other main theme/motif is weird/terrible!

I really liked their score to WATCH OUT WE'RE MAD, very catchy stuff.
  5. Not familiar with that one Tim (YouTube search imminent). My favourite De Angelis score is Il Corsaro Nero - now that's catchy!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014 edited
    MALEFICENT - James Newton Howard

There's some wonderful highlights here (I especially enjoy the taut action cue "Maleficent is Captured") but the CD is way too long, per usual these days. Need to do some trimming.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not familiar with that one Tim (YouTube search imminent). My favourite De Angelis score is Il Corsaro Nero - now that's catchy!

Very! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote

There's some wonderful highlights here (I especially enjoy the taut action cue "Maleficent is Captured") but the CD is way too long, per usual these days. Need to do some trimming.

I don't agree with you here at all. I thought this album held up PERFECTLY from start to finish. I didn't want to end actually. Sublime music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Southall wrote
    10^6 Ways to Die in the West - Joel McNeely

Extremely enjoyable. Elmer pastiche for much of it, Williams-style action later on.

Haven't heard the CD yet but in the film it seemed to borrow a few Bruce Broughton moments from Tombstone as well.

Stalingrad - Angelo Badalamenti

The main theme, especially the way it gets incorporated into the spine-tingling 'Execution and Attack' is wonderful. The two character themes are less interesting, but overall a very strong work. One of Badalamenti's best.
  6. "Execution and Attack" is one of my top cues from last year. This was my introduction to Badalamenti and even though I know it's not exactly representative of his style, my interest in him has definitely been piqued.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Josh B wrote

I don't agree with you here at all. I thought this album held up PERFECTLY from start to finish. I didn't want to end actually. Sublime music!

-Erik-

I agree. It's great to have James Newton Howard back and not James Newton Zimmer.

2014 is looking like a great year for film music!
  7. NP: The Sea Wolf / The Adventures of Robin Hood / The Sea Hawk
    The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Volume I and II. Rumon Gamba conducting the BBC Philharmonics

It's my third re-recording of The Sea Hawk, beyond Kujan and Stromberg, the Suite recorded by Gerhardt not counting. I love the sound of these Chandos recordings. And I believe I prefer the more compact presentation of the score to the complete recording on Naxxos, great as it is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Sea Wolf / The Adventures of Robin Hood / The Sea Hawk
    The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Volume I and II. Rumon Gamba conducting the BBC Philharmonics

It's my third re-recording of The Sea Hawk, beyond Kujan and Stromberg, the Suite recorded by Gerhardt not counting. I love the sound of these Chandos recordings. And I believe I prefer the more compact presentation of the score to the complete recording on Naxxos, great as it is.

Volker

I love CHANDOS film music series and the Korngold CD is no exception, great stuff! I do wish they could concentrate on more British composers though, particularly those that are less represented on record such as Humphrey Searle, Wilfred Josephs and David Whitaker.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 3D - Paul Leonard-Morgan

NOT to be confused with Benjamin Bartlett's utterly fantastic score to the BBC groundbreaking series.

I listened to this on Spotify and there are a few good bits, there's even a Spaggetti Western pastiche ( not so good ). I doubt I'll return to this and I should have known a film about talking Dinosaurs fer cripes sake would only bode ill for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is that that terrible looking Disney-wankfest bastardisation of the original series thing? (I'm not sure if it's Disney, but you know what I mean.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edge of Tomorrow - Christophe Beck

Absolutely terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STANDING UP (Brian Tyler)

My favourite Tyler....maybe because it's very un-Tyler-like.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    NP: STANDING UP (Brian Tyler)

My favourite Tyler....maybe because it's very un-Tyler-like.

He's gone into that mode a few times, and I always like his scores like that far more than his normal stuff. STANDING UP, THE GREATEST GAME..., and PARTITION are all quite good, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He should do it more. Shows that he has the chops for more than just endless banging and drumming.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Maleficent - Howard

Most entertaining.