• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, I am guilty of owning an album with 70s disco versions of famous movie themes. They turned everything into disco back then. There are the STAR WARS themes by Meco, also THE BLACK HOLE by Meco, a 17 minute BATTLESTAR GALACTICA disco suite by Giorgio Moroder (!) and SUPERMAN by Love Unlimited Orchestra. That evidently is not the version we hear here. Is it Meco? The LUO version is better as far as that can by said about such curiosities.

http://www.amazon.de/Movie-Themes-Disco … s+go+disco

Volker

Yeah, I had some of those myself. On the back of one of Meco's albums was some very complimentary words by none other than John Williams himself.

The Love Unlimited Orchestra was formed by the legendary "walrus of lurrrrrrve" Barry White, they had a respectable hit record with John Barry's love theme from King Kong.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Yup, that KING KONG Love Theme version is also on my album.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Williams even did his own funked up version of this....

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

This single was released as a 45rpm single with ( I think? ) Nocturnal Pursuit on the b-side. The single was also released as a bonus that came with the Close Encounters LP ( but without anything on the b-side )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

This single was released as a 45rpm single with ( I think? ) Nocturnal Pursuit on the b-side. The single was also released as a bonus that came with the Close Encounters LP ( but without anything on the b-side )

And on the CD reissue of that LP. In fact, that's the one I still own.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What? The funked up version is on the CD??? confused

I have the CD version of the original LP release and the complete anniversary edition CD and neither has that single on it. Am I missing something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Out of Africa - John Barry

The McNeely recording. Gorgeous score.
  2. NP: How to Train Your Dragon (2010) - John Powel

I pre-ordered the sequel score today and I have to re-aquaint myself with the original. Great score!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mary, Queen of Scots - John Barry

One of his very best. Sublime.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

I like it! It's almost as good as this!
  3. NP: Flesh and Blood (1985) - Basil Poledouris

I love Poledouris!

I just began reading "The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. It seems to be nice enough.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

I like it! It's almost as good as this!

biggrin cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Bloody brilliant score! There's even bagpipes ( where's Alan's icon when you need it? )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought Bear McCreary invented bagpipes?
  4. No, James Horner did.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I just began reading "The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. It seems to be nice enough.

That's a decent fantasy series, but I've never quite managed to finish it in one go. It's so long! Tolkien is like a light snack compared to that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Tolkien is like a light snack compared to that.

Hmm... uhm
  6. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Bloody brilliant score! There's even bagpipes ( where's Alan's icon when you need it? )

:kilt:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) - Bruce Broughton

Bloddy brilliant. Terrific release by Intrada.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I have the CD version of the original LP release and the complete anniversary edition CD and neither has that single on it. Am I missing something?

Yes, it is on the Varese CD. Maybe it was only select pressings?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dances With Wolves - John Barry

Outstanding. One of the prime reasons I became a film music fan. It's lost none of its appeal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

:kilt:

Thank you sir! biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, it is on the Varese CD. Maybe it was only select pressings?

I must have the CD before the Varese re-issue I guess?
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

That's a decent fantasy series, but I've never quite managed to finish it in one go. It's so long! Tolkien is like a light snack compared to that.

A bit off topic, but since you brought it up, I would way rather read the entire Wheel of Time series again than everything that Tolkien wrote. Yes, Jordan's books are long, but his writing is so much more engaging than Tolkien's. Additionally, the guy who finished up the series after Jordan's death did a phenomenal job.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    QB VII Jerry Goldsmith

This is my own 45 minute playlist taken from the GLORIOUS new recording from last year. This is an essential album for Goldsmith fans.

Please to share much thankfulnessly?

English for runaways.
    (Englisch für Fortgeschrittene.)
    biggrin

Maybe it's Engrish:
    http://www.engrish.com/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman

My all time favorite Newman. "Murder in Four Parts" is one of his best pieces. I especially enjoy it because it features a solo section for double bass, my favorite instrument besides the piano.
  11. christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

A bit off topic, but since you brought it up, I would way rather read the entire Wheel of Time series again than everything that Tolkien wrote. Yes, Jordan's books are long, but his writing is so much more engaging than Tolkien's. Additionally, the guy who finished up the series after Jordan's death did a phenomenal job.

Don't get me wrong - I like The Wheel of Time, I just find it a really difficult series to marathon. I always have to slip something else into the middle in order not to go insane. And that's not a problem I've had with any other series of any length, this one just somehow gets exhausting after a while. Then there's the completely messed-up gender politics, but that's a whole nother issue. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Peacemaker - Hans Zimmer (and friends)

One of my fave Zimmers scores. And this deluxe La la Land Records release just makes me
    appreciate it all the more. This is Zimms in good form! Robust, orchestral, BIG!
  12. I thought that I would like this more now that it's been given the re-release treatment and the suites from the original are now perhaps broken up a bit.

But the new release just makes me appreciate the original release more - which still isn't a lot.

One of my very least favourite Zimmer et al scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It's not for everyone. I get that. But for me it hits the right buttons.
    I like all the layers - themes (including the nod to Prokofiev), choral and electronic elements etc.
    I know everyone loves Crimson Tide as do I but I prefer this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman

My all time favorite Newman. "Murder in Four Parts" is one of his best pieces. I especially enjoy it because it features a solo section for double bass, my favorite instrument besides the piano.

This is second only to Shawshank Redemption for me, but only just. It's a brilliant score.