• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2014
    Shut up, Thor.

although I do agree, I quite like it too
  1. NP: Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - Alan Silvestri

I remember most of us, me included, were lukewarm about this score, much criticism revolving around the missing main theme march suite. Even so, now that I revisit the album, I like it quite a bit.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014
    Gonna follow James shortly and listen to some JNH but first...

The Core- Christopher Young

One of my absolute favorite scores. It's just so exciting and beautifully written. Never tire of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    In terms of James New Howard scores, I prefer Unbreakable, but then The Village has 'The Gravel Road', which is a go-to track when making film music playlists.

A stunning, stunning track!

though I wish I knew the classical work it's ripped from, and it IS but I just can't place it
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Inoffensive, conventional score but it is very listenable and better than I remembered. 'The Circus Sets Up' and 'Jacob Returns' are both superb cues.
  2. NP: Luther - Richard Harvey

I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this. Very dramatic and some excellent choral passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Georges Delerue - Jules et Jim

I am not exactly an expert in this exquisite French composer, to be honest, I don't know much more outside from Agnes of God, as much as I love it.

Generally I need a much more proper introduction to European film music, which I am not knowledgeable of, almost at all.

The truth is that it's not that I'm really closed to it, it's just the backlog is so big that I don't really know where to start and the pile is ever-growing. The fact that I am preparing another interview, with a now-major film composer and quite "hot" in film music fandom (hint: I used to be heavily critical of him before), doesn't help. But my intention is to explore Europe as soon as possible.

It's actually quite weird, knowing that I am interested more in voices in the genre than anything else. To me the biggest thing is that the score has coherent sound rather than particularly pronounced themes (I love them as much as anyone does, but not if they don't fit the overall soundscape and structure of the score).

This particular score, starting rather oddly for me, ended up being a complete beauty. It was my first listen (on Spotify).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JACK REACHER - Joe Kraemer

Refreshingly "old fashioned" thriller score that doesn't sound like the generic usual suspects. This isn't my first play, I liked it then and I like it now, I like it a lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Yeah, a quite cool score I found a lot to enjoy in too. The movie is also better than you might expect with music sometimes coming to the forefront (a brilliant beginning to the film) and sometimes not being present where you would expect it today (action scenes!). The director really knows his stuff and has faith in both music and silence, which is a very refreshing narrative approach today.

Cruise isn't as annoying as he can be sometimes, quite a good, coolly understated performance, letting himself keep the mystery surrounding the character, while, at the same time, having a certain restrained charisma.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, a pretty good summation Pawel, I enjoyed the film and Cruise didn't irritate me like he often can ( I have no connection with the books at all so Cruise being 18 meters shorter than the book character didn't bother me )
  5. I find Jack Reacher to be pretty dull outside of a cool main title. Yeah, it's a different approach, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically entertaining.
  6. Well, I guess that would make you hate the thriller scores of the 1970s (Michael Small, for example), because it's very much in tune with that kind of restrained orchestral political/conspiracy thriller sound, that was prevalent and insanely effective in the era.

While I am not exactly an expert in the 1970s, what I saw from that era makes me think that in terms of Hollywood, it was the most convincing film period. I, of course, would have to delve into directors like Robert Altman (him in particular, really), to see exactly what was in the interest, but guys like Sydney Pollack (who built a very good scoring relationship with Dave Grusin at the time), composers like David Shire (through marriage - an extended family to Francis Ford Coppola), Michael Small. An interesting period for sure.

Shire's score to The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (a brilliant film on its own!) is a particularly great one, combining jazz with atonal (strict 12-tone music) techniques in a riveting fashion. You should at least try that one out one day, Edmund smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The 70's were indeed a pretty special time for American cinema, at least until 1977 at any rate wink
  7. It's quite interesting historically, I have to delve into it, but I look up to the 1970s quite a lot. And I know how much Hollywood was inspired by the political turmoil of its decade, of course I don't have to list the influential events here.

Even in Poland there was a turn for the gritty in the 1970s, there is a crime drama that is very much on par with the mainstream thrillers of Hollywood at the time and I am saying it with full responsibility ("Przepraszam, czy tu biją", "Excuse Me, Are They Fighting?", not sure if it was ever released outside of the country, would be a pity), combining a mainstream (crime drama) appeal with the social commentary, so prevalent in the era at the time.

Some famous movies in the country are pure dramas, but featuring the social commentary. There was a whole movement called "moral unease cinema", which kickstarted the careers of such directors as Krzysztof Zanussi and Krzysztof Kieślowski. Interestingly, coming from that kind of political/social commentary, both directors would later delve into more philosophical territory (especially the latter).

For film score fans it may be an interesting information that these films quite often were scored by Wojciech Kilar, though a lot of it was done through a single repeating theme. European cinema has always been more careful with spotting than Hollywood smile .
  8. The Sea Wolf - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Re-recording on Chandos.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014 edited
    The Rock Lots

I love this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Rock Lots

I love this score.

I know for a FACT! that Thor agrees with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2014
    I don't agree with him though.
  9. JANE EYRE - John Williams

So I've heard a lot of praise for this score over the years. I finally purchased it. I was really looking forward to hearing how Williams would handle a period drama like this. I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly didn't expect this! It hardly sounds like Williams at all! Track 4 and part of track 9 sounded like Williams in parts, but most of it sounded more like Ennio Morricone's work from that era than anything I was familiar with from Williams. It was also pretty disappointing. I didn't find much to like on my first listen. It just sounded dated, and didn't have any memorable theme. Just not what I would expect from Williams at all. Clearly he was a different composer in 1970 than he has become.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2014 edited
    Biting my lip...
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jesus Christ.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2014 edited
    uhm

I wonder what Hulk Hogan's reaction will be?

HULK HOGAN

Thought so!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christopher wrote
    It just sounded dated, and didn't have any memorable theme

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jane Eyre has one of the finest themes he's ever written. So yeah, there's that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I first heard that theme seeing the film on TV when the LP was an un-findable rarity. From the one showing that theme stuck in my head, one of the great themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I will grant one thing: this score is in bad need of a new recording. I almost never listen to the OST, and go straight for Williams' newer recordings from one of his albums (I can't remember which one, I just have those tracks),
  10. It's got a theme, huh? I guess I'll have to listen for that...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    It's got a theme, huh? I guess I'll have to listen for that...

Honestly Christopher? If so I'm incredibly surprised you can't hear a theme, boggled in fact. Looking at your list of favourites in your profile you definitely have a taste for strongly themed scoring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I will grant one thing: this score is in bad need of a new recording. I almost never listen to the OST, and go straight for Williams' newer recordings from one of his albums (I can't remember which one, I just have those tracks),

New recording? Yes please!

Except I have no problem listening to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    It's got a theme, huh? I guess I'll have to listen for that...

Indeed. dizzy

Sometimes, the brain gets things very wrong.