• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I recant! I just started playing it again and I take back everything I said about the non-memorable theme. I don't know where I was when listening to the last time. It's right there. That first track is pretty great. Clearly my first listen wasn't a good one.
  2. ^ What a great score that one is!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. christopher wrote
    It's got a theme, huh? I guess I'll have to listen for that...

I noticed 3 themes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. christopher wrote
    I recant! I just started playing it again and I take back everything I said about the non-memorable theme. I don't know where I was when listening to the last time. It's right there. That first track is pretty great. Clearly my first listen wasn't a good one.

good to hear that
  5. NP: Brave Hearts: Umizaru - Naoki Sato

A very enjoyable Sato score this one: exciting, action-packed and featuring a catchy "power anthem" of a main theme. A bit of a Backdraft sound to a lot of it.

I'd no idea what the film was about but looking at the synopsis a lot of the musical choices are explained: "...special rescue unit..", "...flight experiences mechanical trouble...", "...emergency landing on water..." & "...only have 20 minutes to get everyone out before it sinks..." Plus a love interest.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Starsky & Hutch - Theodore Shapiro

Quite a fun score. I find that Shapiro rarely disappoints.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2014
    Dennis The Menace - Jerry Goldsmith

I've always had a soft spot for both film and (of course) score.
    And this new La La Land release is terrific.
    Sounds great plus complete score, nice art and liner notes to boot.
    It's just pure fun with its Americana sound plus a dash of Prokofiev thrown in the mix.
  7. While I never listened to this outside of the film, which I wouldn't like to return to (though as a kid I liked it), it's quite hilarious that the theme for Christopher Lloyd ended up as an epic villain theme for the Huns in Mulan biggrin

While at it:

Jerry Goldsmith - Timeline

The complete bootleg. I know that a shorter album was released by Varese some time after Goldsmith died, but I don't think it's available anymore. There was a twofer including Looney Tunes, but not exactly the most interested in that score.

I like this quite a bit (the battle cues are great!), so if I find a copy somewhere, I'd get it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. NP: La Califfa - Ennio Morricone

This album has some very beautiful music. And it also doesn't head off into weirdness as some Morricone albums can.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TOUCH - Basil Poledouris

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. TARZAN - David Newman

First listen. This is quite good!
  10. NP: La Flaqueza del Bolchevique - Roque Baños

A beautiful little score this. Baños uses only small ensemble - mostly strings, harp & piano - to great effect.
  11. Timmer wrote

cool

One of the few examples where I really like the song written for a movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Yes, it is nice! You say one of the few examples? Can you name all the examples ( seeing as its one of a few ) you really like of a song written for a movie??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Yes, it is nice! You say one of the few examples? Can you name all the examples ( seeing as its one of a few ) you really like of a song written for a movie??

I'll have a look through my "favourites" playlist and see how many songs there are on it. That's bound to tell me all the songs I wanted to hear again. It's fair to say though that James Bond songs are going to feature heavily.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just wondered? Bond songs would feature heavily in my list too but I like a lot of songs written for film.
  13. Timmer wrote
    I just wondered? Bond songs would feature heavily in my list too but I like a lot of songs written for film.

I don't think I like a lot. I like few enough that I can go though my list and find a definitive list - though some of them may be more themes with vocals rather than actual songs (you may see what I mean when I put up my list.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Brilliant!

Oh, and thanks to the guys here for the advice on a water* damaged back-inner sleeve. Although a bit corrugated I managed to save it but most importantly the CD works perfect.

*More than water it must have been a small bit of spilt lager, I remember cleaning up a spill but hadn't realised it had seeped into this CD which was at the bottom of a small pile atop the table.
  14. NP: Somewhere in Time - John Barry
    John Debney / RNSO on Varese

This was in the mail today. It sounds like vintage Barry. I neither saw the film nor did I listen to the original recording, so no comparisons here.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the film ( though I don't understand it's following and cult status ), it's a lovely score though I don't love it as much as many Barry ( and non-Barry ) fans do.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: La Califfa - Ennio Morricone

This album has some very beautiful music. And it also doesn't head off into weirdness as some Morricone albums can.

Definitely ranks up there as one of his most gorgeous main themes, no doubt!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Atham wrote
    Dennis The Menace - Jerry Goldsmith

I've always had a soft spot for both film and (of course) score.
    And this new La La Land release is terrific.
    Sounds great plus complete score, nice art and liner notes to boot.
    It's just pure fun with its Americana sound plus a dash of Prokofiev thrown in the mix.

Can't handle this one at all mate. As much as I adore the man's music and will always rate Goldsmith the greatest film composer of them all, this is one score of his that I find almost impossible to endure. I actually pulled it out recently in contemplation of buying the expanded edition - but no, it still irritates the hell out of me. After about 20 minutes I had to pull it out! shame
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

An absolutely masterful score, this one. Even better than I remembered - if that's possible. Very close to - if not - a five-star score. It boggles the mind to think its never been officially released.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote

An absolutely masterful score, this one. Even better than I remembered - if that's possible. Very close to - if not - a five-star score. It boggles the mind to think its never been officially released.

Considering it as a fan favourite that is very strange. I've had the b**t for a long time but would gladly swap for an official release.
  15. Timmer wrote
    David OC wrote

Considering it as a fan favourite that is very strange. I've had the b**t for a long time but would gladly swap for an official release.

who wouldn't? Absolutely amazing score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

FANTASTIC!
  16. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't think I like a lot. I like few enough that I can go though my list and find a definitive list - though some of them may be more themes with vocals rather than actual songs (you may see what I mean when I put up my list.)

Here you go, Tim. My list of song used in film that I like. There's probably a few others that I've forgotten about but not many. I assume that they are all written specifically for the films in which they appear.

"¡Vamos a Matar, Compañeros! (Titoli)" - ¡Vamos a Matar, Compañeros!
    "Una Pistola Per Ringo" - Una Pistola Per Ringo
    "A Hard Day's Night" - A Hard Day's Night
    "Despicable Me" - Despicable Me
    "The Dream Within" - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    "Main Title (Quiero La Noche)" - Bananas
    "Born Free" - Born Free
    "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" - Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
    "Inama Nushif (Montage)" - Children of Dune
    "Cleopatra Jones" - Cleopatra Jones
    "Da Uomo A Uomo" - Da Uomo A Uomo
    "Diamonds Are Forever" - Diamonds Are Forever
    "Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze" - Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze
    "From Russia With Love" - From Russia With Love
    "Help!" - Help!
    "Main Title - Goldfinger" - Goldfinger
    "Que Sople el Viento" - Hidalgo - La Historia Jamás Contada
    "Hide & Seek" - Hide and Seek
    "Beauty Song (Jia Ren Qu)" - House of Flying Daggers
    "Les Choristes" - Les Choristes
    "Vois Sur Ton Chemin" - Les Choristes
    "Caresse Sur L'océan" - Les Choristes
    "Live and Let Die" - Live and Let Die
    "Would Anyone Die For Me?" - Men Who Hate Women
    "We Have All The Time In The World" - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    "Streets of Philidelphia" - Philadelphia
    "No Good About Goodbye" - Quantum of Solace
    "Superfly" - Superfly
    "Abraham's Daughter" - The Hunger Games
    "The Bare Necessities" - The Jungle Book
    "That's What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song)" - The Jungle Book
    "I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song)" - The Jungle Book
    "My Own Home (The Jungle Book Theme)" - The Jungle Book
    "End Credits (The Bad Guy)" - The Legend Trip
    "The Living Daylights" - The Living Daylights
    "The Mystic's Dream" - The Mists of Avalon
    "The Morning After" - The Poseidon Adventure
    "Il Ritorno di Ringo" - Il Ritorno di Ringo
    "Into The West" - The Return of the King
    "The Touch" - The Touch
    "Over The Rainbow" - The Wizard of Oz
    "If I Were King of the Forest" - The Wizard of Oz
    "The Virgin Queen" - The Virgin Queen
    "The Work of The Lord" - The Virgin Queen
    "Miseria Nomine" - The Virgin Queen
    "Essex" - The Virgin Queen
    "Remember Me" - The Virgin Queen
    "The World Is Not Enough" - The World Is Not Enough
    "Thunderball" - Thunderball
    "When She Loved Me" - Toy Story 2
    "A Piece of Sky" - Yentl
    "The Great Western Road" - Young Adam
    "You Only Live Twice" - You Only Live Twice
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014 edited
    Wow! A lot more than I thought you would list. I like the majority of them too ( plus there's a small handful I haven't heard )

Here's my list of Bond songs I don't like. It's much easier than listing those I do wink

The Man With The Golden Gun
    For Your Eyes Only
    All Time High
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Die Another Day

...and from the unofficial Bond film

Never Say Never Again ( Only one Legrand in your list? )

...and that's it! To be fair, it is only Die Another Day that I really dislike, the others I just don't care much for.

p.s. There's a lot of great songs from Blaxploitation films. I didn't see SHAFT on your list?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014 edited
    And my list of non-James Bond John Barry composed songs that I love...

Born Free - Born Free
    Curiouser and Curiouser - Alice In Wonderland
    Sail The Summer Winds - The Dove
    The Good Times Are Coming - Monte Walsh
    Down Deep Inside - The Deep
    My Love Has Two Faces - Deadfall
    The Best Man In The World - The Golden Child
    The Man In The Mask - The Legend of The Lone Ranger

Plus ALL songs written for...

The Lion In Winter
    The Last Valley
    Mary, Queen of Scots
  17. New in the collection:

NP: Gormenghast (2000) - Sir Richard Rodney Bennett

I have been long after this score, but did not want to pay the rediculous prices for which it was offered. Now I could obtain a used copy in mint condition for a reasonable price from a gentleman in Kent / England.

It is a magnificent score!

Volker