• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Lady in the Water (2006) - James Newton Howard

Let's see ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    I just saw a documantery about Saladin and Richard Plantagenet. This gave me the idea to now play

Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Harry Gregson-Williams

which was used in said documantery. A great score.

A wonderful score! I particularly like 'Ibelin' and its use through the score especially in 'Jerusalem'. But for me 'Sibylla' is one of the highlights, like a breath of fresh air.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Oh come on, it's childishly written, flat, uninspired, ages behind the music icons he is trying to emulate. If it wasn't by Doyle it would be ignored, at best.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

What a debut score! There has hardly been any more impressive, I dare say.

Citizen Kane by Bernard Herrmann.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: HARRY POTTER & THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Patrick Doyle)

Listening to all my Doyles in preparation for my interview in Helsinki on Friday. This is a pretty fantastic score in its own right, beaten only by Williams' efforts (and perhaps even superior to Williams' second score).

I'd place this in third spot just behind Azkaban and the criminally underrated Chamber of Secrets.

-Erik-
  2. NP: Piedone l’africano (1978) - Guido & Mauricio De Angelis

Just fun pop music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man - JR Horner

Love this.

Now compare with Zimmer's noise: Go!

I actually prefer Zimmer's score, which is NOT just noise.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA LIGNE DROITE (Patrick Doyle)

This is probably Doyle's best score in recent years -- yeah, it's minimalism again, but very delicious and "sparkling", in lack of a better word.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There is some gorgeous music in that score but it's a terribly produced album. Far too repetitive!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, that's the purpose of minimalism!

But yeah, there could have been more of an 'arc' to the whole thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Well, that's the purpose of minimalism!

For sure.

Thor wrote
    But yeah, there could have been more of an 'arc' to the whole thing.

Absolutely.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    NP: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Patrick Doyle)

One of his best, ever. "Sigh No More Ladies" is about as elegant as it comes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: LA LIGNE DROITE (Patrick Doyle)

This is probably Doyle's best score in recent years -- yeah, it's minimalism again, but very delicious and "sparkling", in lack of a better word.

Absolutely. Loved this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

What a debut score! There has hardly been any more impressive, I dare say.

Citizen Kane by Bernard Herrmann.

-Erik-

I think Erik just won the thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Mercenario - E Morricone

Spaghetti western genius from the maestro.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Love this.

-Erik-

Could you tell a bit more about your thoughts on Horner's Spider-Man?

I actually was in a funny, if irritating, argument about the Horner score. Actually, because me and the other guy loved Horner's score (which I actually do and I think Hans' work is on the same level, but for different reasons), but we were arguing about how differently we saw it.

Basically, Horner's score, heralded as a return to the more traditional sound of superhero films, is not as "traditional" as people may see. And it's not because it features a lot of electronics. The technical aspects of Horner's orchestral writing are quite modern. The harmony is quite modern. It's actually interesting how at times Horner, rather than going with a more "classical" approach, so to speak, goes from a major chord to another major chord in quite an unexpected fashion (not that it's new for him, he often goes "all-major" in his heroic music and that might be a Britten influence, maybe?). So my discussion was:

My interlocutor: This is a great score, so traditional (recently throw in bashing Zimmer's score with that)
    Me: It's not so traditional as you say.
    Interlocutor: Yeah, it has electronics.
    Me: But I don't mean the electronics, it's modern in its orchestral approach too
    Interlocutor: Yeah, but the electronics fit better than Zimmer to the orchestra...

ad infinitum :mrgreen:
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    A dangerous cd cover to own for any bachelor.

One of the worst cd covers i've seen in ages.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Love this.

-Erik-

You're the last person on earth i'd expect to hear such a statement from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I just saw a documantery about Saladin and Richard Plantagenet. This gave me the idea to now play

Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Harry Gregson-Williams

which was used in said documantery. A great score.

A wonderful score! I particularly like 'Ibelin' and its use through the score especially in 'Jerusalem'. But for me 'Sibylla' is one of the highlights, like a breath of fresh air.

Love it. The 3-disc recording sessions something that circulater later, helped me appreciate it even more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Love this.

-Erik-

You're the last person on earth i'd expect to hear such a statement from.

I'm not that predictable even though most of you think that there is only one style of score that I like.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VISITORS (Philip Glass)

I think I've come to the realization that I love minimalism-influenced music, but not necessarily hardcore minimalism like his. But I'd love to see the documentary; it seems fascinating.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Now playing:
    Kaguyahime no Monogatari (The Tale of Princess Kaguya) - Joe Hisaishi

If Kaze Tachinu was the most 'Mediterranean' sound of his, I'd say this one is his most Japanese sound. Love both albums anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

I think I've come to the realization that I love minimalism-influenced music,

No you don't because you hate Signs.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014 edited
    X-Men: The "Last" Stand John Powell

The pessimist in me doesn't think we'll ever get a true 5-star Marvel score (I suppose it would be odd if the optimist thought that), but this is the closest anything has come so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Pure class all the way! Easily the best score starring Marvel characters.

Can't call it a Marvel film or nerds everywhere would lose their shit!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

As much as I love Signs (though a bit less than you, I do prefer Unbreakable and The Village over it), I wouldn't say that Signs are a minimalistic score. Unless, of course, you would call Bernard Herrmann (who was a bigger influence than, say, John Adams or Phillip Glass on that particular score) a minimalist.

However, Thor calling a Phillip Glass score influenced by minimalism does raise an eyebrow.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Signs is INFLUENCED by minimalism, I didn't say it WAS a minimalist score. wink

PawelStroinski wrote
    However, Thor calling a Phillip Glass score influenced by minimalism does raise an eyebrow.

lol

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

As much as I love Signs (though a bit less than you, I do prefer Unbreakable and The Village over it), I wouldn't say that Signs are a minimalistic score. Unless, of course, you would call Bernard Herrmann (who was a bigger influence than, say, John Adams or Phillip Glass on that particular score) a minimalist.

I never said that. I said that "I think I've come to the realization that I love minimalism-influenced music, but not necessarily hardcore minimalism like this". LA LIGNE DROITE and SIGNS are minimalism-influenced, Glass is obviously hardcore minimalism. Your confusion probably stems from the fact that Erik cut out half my sentence.

Also, I don't hate SIGNS. But I don't particularly care for it either.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Psycho (1960) - Bernard Herrmann
    Re-recording on VS

One of my favourite thriller scores, second only to JAWS.

Volker
  7. NP: The ThornBirds (1983) - Henry Mancini

Sweet. love