• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014
    Perhaps you prefer the outstanding artwork for the download edition?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Perhaps you prefer the outstanding artwork for the download edition?

Crikey. I imagine this is a popular poster amongst teenage girls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HARRY POTTER & THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Patrick Doyle)

Listening to all my Doyles in preparation for my interview in Helsinki on Friday. This is a pretty fantastic score in its own right, beaten only by Williams' efforts (and perhaps even superior to Williams' second score).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    I can't be sure but I think I may have played Doyle's Potter score more than any of the others. I love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

What a debut score! There has hardly been any more impressive, I dare say.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. ^ Wonderful score!

NP: Jane Eyre - (1944) Bernard Herrmann
    Naxos
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Pfah! I just hear Poledouris. tongue

biggrin from 00:56 on pure gorgeous Barryesque homage

I need a dismissive-handwave emoticon.
    Bregt! DO something!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The Postman Olivia Newton Howard

Excellent score. True 4 star material.

Great and lovely score, apart from the songs wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

What a debut score! There has hardly been any more impressive, I dare say.

His level of writing is significantly inferior to this anymore i am afraid.
  2. NP: Jane Eyre (1970) - John Williams

Very accessible, but Herrmann's score is the more sophisticated symphonic work. I am with Tom here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014 edited
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    beer

NP: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Michael McCann
    This game score sort of plays like a darker and more techno-ish take on Daft Punk's TRON.

It's not bad. Quite good even, in places, especially when there's a strong burst of percussion coming through.
    But overall it's way too gloomy and oppressive to really enjoy for over an hour.
    Icarus - Main Theme is MASSIVELY epic track, though!

I like the score too, but it's the definition of a "me-too" score. Icarus is pretty much TRON with a wailing vocal.

This is an excellent game score, loved it. This year, with the exception of RYSE:SON OF ROME which kicks ass but it's basically a 2013 late release, it's been poor for game scores so far, with few exceptions (Wiedmann's SON OF BATMAN is very kick ass as well wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Pfah! I just hear Poledouris. tongue

PawelStroinski wrote
    [Murder In The First]

There is some Delerue to it, yeah.

shocked

And I don't have this score?
    MUST. HAVE!

You don't ? It's absolutely beautiful. Same as Sweet November and The Tower. You'll love them, must-have's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    In the right mood I could go through all of those and enjoy. Most likely on a Sunday when it's unlikely I'll get disturbed and I can in turn disturb any possible Jehovah type callers away.

I would answer the door, ask them to wait, turn the volume up to an obnoxious level and then get them to give me the spiel.

Or open the door wide open and greet them with loud black metal playing in the background wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man - JR Horner

Love this.

Now compare with Zimmer's noise: Go!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Jane Eyre (1970) - John Williams

Very accessible, but Herrmann's score is the more sophisticated symphonic work. I am with Tom here.

Sophisticated, schmofisticated....this is plenty sophisticated, thank you very much, and has a whole other level of emotional appeal. It's lyricism at its finest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Sophisticated, schmofisticated....this is plenty sophisticated, thank you very much, and has a whole other level of emotional appeal. It's lyricism at its finest.

yeah Yea, verily! THOR hath spoken.

Thine argument faileth!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, let's bring some exceptional Jablonsky compositions on the table for a change, some musicianship at last! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    You don't ? It's absolutely beautiful. Same as Sweet November and The Tower. You'll love them, must-have's.

Those two I have (I prefer Sweet November over The Tower, but they're both very good).
    I'll seek Murder In The First out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Maleficant James Newton Howard

This is good, and it's a relief to hear Howard return to his own style, but much of it tends to pass me by unnoticed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just lacking... something? Perhaps a stronger theme is what this needs? The 'filler' stuff is excellent, but I can't say the themes really hold it up as well as I would hope.
  3. Demetris wrote
    This is an excellent game score, loved it. This year, with the exception of RYSE:SON OF ROME which kicks ass but it's basically a 2013 late release, it's been poor for game scores so far, with few exceptions (Wiedmann's SON OF BATMAN is very kick ass as well wink )

I don't know, I think Castlevania 2 and The Banner Saga are holding their own. I haven't heard too many others though.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah Yea, verily! THOR hath spoken.

Thine argument faileth!

I have a reasonable good ear in music.
    (A Midsummer Night's Dream, 4.1.28) cheesy

Nobel simplicity as opposed to ambitious sophistication: That could be an interesting discussion that I am not interested in leading at this time. Williams' score is a bit monothematic. Great theme but the only one.
  5. NP: The Right Stuff / North and South - Bill Conty
    Varese Sarabande

Great music, great recording, great album.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IMPRESSIONS OF AMERICA (Patrick Doyle)

It's not BAD, but it doesn't make much of an impression either (pun intended). I had such high hopes for this when it was announced, but alas it's basically loads of directionless symphonic colours with a little bit of minimalism thrown in.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

I don't know, I think Castlevania 2 and The Banner Saga are holding their own. I haven't heard too many others though.

Castlevania 2, yeah that is kick ass. As for Baner Saga, no wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: IMPRESSIONS OF AMERICA (Patrick Doyle)

It's not BAD, but it doesn't make much of an impression either (pun intended). I had such high hopes for this when it was announced, but alas it's basically loads of directionless symphonic colours with a little bit of minimalism thrown in.

High hopes? this is a flop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't quite go that far. But from the tantalizing announcement (with track titles that -- given one's knowledge of Doyle's 90s efforts and the inspiration in magnificent nature -- had extreme potential), it was a definite letdown.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh come on, it's childishly written, flat, uninspired, ages behind the music icons he is trying to emulate. If it wasn't by Doyle it would be ignored, at best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JIG (Patrick Doyle)

This is more straightforward minimalist and quite pleasing. But it's not exactly a soundtrack cover I push in someone's face to show how butch I am! :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A dangerous cd cover to own for any bachelor.
  6. I just saw a documantery about Saladin and Richard Plantagenet. This gave me the idea to now play

Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Harry Gregson-Williams

which was used in said documantery. A great score.