• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMWippel
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    MWippel wrote
    NP: Kundun - Philip Glass

Even listening to this music for the estimated 1000th time - it´s still moving, fascinating just brilliant.
    Best Glass soundtrack in my view. I´d rate this 10/10 - a timeless masterpiece

I agree! Great score. Though I far prefer his non-film music works.

Yes indeed!!! - gratest works (for me) are Tirol Concerto, Symphony Nr. 9, Akhnaten and Satyagraha
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great choices. I wish someone would rerecord his work THE CANYON, there's nothing wrong with Robert Shaw's original performance but the recording is awful. At least the magnificent ITAIPU was rerecorded.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On the fly playlist playing on multiple speakers connected to wi-fi controlled via my iPad like a God John Williams

When it comes to pure magic and joy, there is no other composer in my arsenal that comes close to Williams. (Good album by the way.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams (composer)

I like all his music since the turn of the century, but this is my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2014
    What's with the composer meme?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Williams. Ralph Vaughan Williams.

In the mood it is not, repeat, NOT possible to get better! FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    What's with the composer meme?

It's how Sony Classical refers to him, to distinguish him from the guitarist, so it feels right for me to do the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My brain can't handle John Williams playing a theme by John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fuck off.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We have just been visited by the god of chunder.
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    NP: Rush - Hans Zimmer

Not the music I really love, but very, very effective score - hats off!!! 7+/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Reclaim - Inon Zur

Nice, Thomas Newman-ish romantic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    fuck off.

A little harsh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nah! I agree with Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha! biggrin shame

God, I was totally plastered when I wrote that last night (around 4 AM).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Angry Birds Transformers - Kenny Meriedeth & Vince DiCola

This is a lot more enjoyable that I thought it would be when I say that this had been released.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    fuck off.

I think I heard that in a 1980's movie:

"Fuck on, fuck off."

wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    St Vincent - Theodore Shapiro

A bit boring really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

A bit boring really.

It is. Time for Shapiro to get out of comedies. I know he has the chops.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote

A bit boring really.

Like most of his work anyway (Except for that one time in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

A bit boring really.

Like most of his work anyway (Except for that one time in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty )

I remember really liking his score for HEIST ( never released ) while watching the movie.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

A bit boring really.

I didn't think Walter Mitty particularly elevated itself above the rest of Shapiro's oeuvre, but I did enjoy parts of his score to Aardman's The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists (or whatever the name of that movie is).

He seems to be one of those competent composers who always knows what they're doing but rarely picks assignments that let him shine, like Christophe Beck or Christopher Lennertz or even John Debney. I find it kind of hard to make damning statements like "all their work is boring" about these guys, because it doesn't seem like they deserve it, but it does seem rather a waste. I guess someone has to score all those comedies, though. And Beck didn't exactly make much of his big opportunity on Edge of Tomorrow this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well they did have chances in their careers my friend, just go their imdb pages, esp. John Debney (he didn't have chances? he scored Dragonfly, gorgeous score, and Passion of the Christ, also Seaquest DSV, duma, zathura, the scorpion king, Cutthroat Island etc, it's after Lair that he started going downhill, he had plenty of chances. The other two as well. What about the choices they were given and screwed up?
  4. Demetris wrote
    What about the choices they were given and screwed up?

I mentioned Edge of Tomorrow, and frankly, no other ones really come to mind for me - Beck did fine on Frozen and his Percy Jackson movie, which are the only ones that really gave him much room. Lennertz has several very entertaining parody and video game scores amongst all the comedies. I agree that Debney hasn't been too impressive lately (his score for The Call is one of my absolute least favorites ever, by anyone), but he did do Dream House a few years ago and that was a pretty strong score, I thought. And all those you mention are pretty good. I never said Debney hadn't had any chances - just that he doesn't get enough lately. That's why I say it's a bit of a shame to see him scoring romantic comedies all the time. And it's the same with Shapiro, although for me he doesn't yet have the career highlights that the other three do (Debney, Beck and Lennertz). They're all good composers, but they're too workmanlike in their project choices (or maybe they just take what they're given).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or just deliver what the paycheck asks for, nothing more, no questions, fast in and out, by the numbers.
  5. There's a Shapiro score I'd DIE to hear outside of the movie, but it wasn't released even in not-so-legal form, as far as I know - Prince of Central Park. I remember it having an exquisite theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DIE for a Shapiro score? Man, your're bold, i give you that smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

A bit boring really.

I thought that one was even more boring! The ones that really stand out for me are the two he did for David Mamet, State and Main and especially Heist (though admittedly it's highly derivative).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean Tower Heist? I think that one's very entertaining too.
  6. That one was Christophe Beck. You might be forgiven for mistaking the two though. tongue