• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hero (Tan Dun)

Totally gorgeous !!!!! I don't believe this is ever mentioned here. shocked

Track 02 - For the World - Theme Music

Track 04 - Gone with Leaves
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Independence Day (1996) - David Arnold

He wrote his own personal STAR WARS with this one.

smile Volker

I think it's safe to say he'll never top it. (Even if he was still scoring movies....which he isn't. Because he's an arsehole.)

I would like to know why he isn't scoring movies. Choice? Other projects? Not getting offers?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Because Steven said he's an arsehole I reckon? slant

Seriously though, Hollywood has changed, and not for the better...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Been there, done that? He isn't the first composer who dived into the world of film scoring for a while and then leaved again on his on volition.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Are you sure it's his own volition? He basically did Roland Emmerich, James Bond and other stuff that nobody ever talks about. Emmerich (unwisely) moved on to something very different. He'll probably get Bond back if Mendes doesn't do any more.
  4. Since I didn't ask him, I'm not sure at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't ask him either. I asked my wife, but she doesn't know.
  5. And Leonard Nimoy is'n around any more either. He used to know everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One thing's for sure, there's no point asking Tony Christie. He doesn't even know the way to Amarillo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The latest teaser trailer for Insurgence is up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Grande Silenzio - Ennio Morricone

It isn't silent but it is grand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn Charles Gerhardt

One of my first forays into Golden Age film music, and still a favourite album. A perfect storm of an album: recording, performance and music are all worthy of the highest praise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015
    Southall wrote
    One thing's for sure, there's no point asking Tony Christie. He doesn't even know the way to Amarillo.

Him and Dionne Warwick should get together.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. MARIA DI NAZARETH - Guy Farley

'Tis the season, after all. Lush is the right word for this, I think. It's very Barry-esque, and just totally gorgeous from start to finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ash vs Evil Dead Joseph LoDuca

I'm looking forward to watching the first season when its last episode has been aired. For the time being, this is an excellent appetite whetter. Some fairly brutal stuff here, not for the faint of heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015 edited
    BACKDRAFT - HANS ZIMMER

The complete score. The film mixes. This exists. In glorious sound. It's brilliant. That is all.
  7. Some people who loved the album may not like the complete score, because, for example, it turns out that the score is much more electronic than the album shows. They literally erased synth parts from the mix.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. I honestly thought the leak from a couple of years ago would result in us getting it officially, but so far zippo.

But wait, 2016... 1991... you do the math ! cheesy
  9. NP: STAR WARS - My prequel playlist.

I'll try not to read anything about TFA from this point on. Just warming up with music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Krampus Douglass Pipes

There's a nice level of fun to this one I wasn't expecting, and some pretty engaging action writing. Like like like!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2015 edited
    Np: The Force Awakens - John Williams

I heard The Force Awakens this morning. Gonna wait to make my final judgment call after seeing the film on Sunday [spoiler]but I was left rather underwhelmed by the album. It's technically good writing but minus a few moments here and there I really didn't feel this one like I did the other six. No real goosebump moments and no genuine emotional moments (minus hearing familiar themes.) The new themes are Ok but they didn't stick with me. The problem I'm having with it all, and most of Williams' music written in the past little while, is that it all sounds interchangeable. The new Star Wars music could easily be unused material from Tintin or Indy 4.

Again, this is all based off of one listen this morning and I might change my mind about it all once the weekend is over but right now Jupiter Ascending is still my favourite score of the year.
    [/spoiler]

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. [spoiler]I find your lack of faith disturbing.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2015 edited
    [spoiler]I had faith... but God didn't respond.[/spoiler]

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2015
    Under Fire Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry Christmas, everyone!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I remember a quote from Ned Rorem which basically said that every composer says all he has to say within the first decade of his career and after that, he's just rewriting himself. I think it's a bit of an overstatement (and certainly doesn't apply to the greats like Beethoven) but it's hard to deny that Williams has basically reached that point (and Goldsmith before him).
  11. NP: The Hunger Games 4 (2015) - James Newton Howard

For me one of the scores of the year. Love it.

wink Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: The Force Awakens - John Williams

I heard The Force Awakens this morning. Gonna wait to make my final judgment call after seeing the film on Sunday [spoiler]but I was left rather underwhelmed by the album. It's technically good writing but minus a few moments here and there I really didn't feel this one like I did the other six. No real goosebump moments and no genuine emotional moments (minus hearing familiar themes.) The new themes are Ok but they didn't stick with me. The problem I'm having with it all, and most of Williams' music written in the past little while, is that it all sounds interchangeable. The new Star Wars music could easily be unused material from Tintin or Indy 4.

Again, this is all based off of one listen this morning and I might change my mind about it all once the weekend is over but right now Jupiter Ascending is still my favourite score of the year.
    [/spoiler]

-Erik-
    Josh B wrote
    I remember a quote from Ned Rorem which basically said that every composer says all he has to say within the first decade of his career and after that, he's just rewriting himself. I think it's a bit of an overstatement (and certainly doesn't apply to the greats like Beethoven) but it's hard to deny that Williams has basically reached that point (and Goldsmith before him).

Most classical composers are exempt from that simply because their works are fewer and with longer time periods between.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Most classical composers are exempt from that simply because their works are fewer and with longer time periods between.

Depends on the composer. Ironically enough, Rorem himself fits the rule (and is probably aware of it). But especially pre-20th century, most composers didn't live long enough to have the chance to start repeating themselves.
  12. STARGATE - DAVID ARNOLD

Where the flying fuck has all this talent gone??? sad

The Deluxe Edition... Everytime I hear this music it sends me to high heaven.
    More precious to me, than life itself, the CD is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015
    Ash vs Evil Dead Joseph DoLuca

Add this to another winner from 2015. It's great.