• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015
    I have no particular opinions on the issue, but in general I think re-recordings should be free to re-interpret a bit as well. Re-recordings that try to replicate the exact sound of the original are often a bit boring (or a failure).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Clipped sound is a re-interpreting now? tongue

That doesn't bother me too much except on principle, I think I'm just too used to loudness wars by now to really notice it much anymore (plus my ears were never the most discerning). The missing "screech" in "Wheel of Pain", though, that is an issue for me as well. The bowed cymbal just doesn't have the same impact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I rarely hear this "clipped sound" anyway. Sounds fine to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CREED (Ludwig Göransson)

Boring. I don't know what everyone else is on about here.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. LSH wrote
    Having said all that, now that I have finished the album, this HAD to have been temped with John Powell...

never noticed the Powell influence. My first listen was okay but nothing memorable. Saw the film then this weekend and it sounded much better. Again nothing amazing, but it was far more moving than I remembered it to be

great film by the way, a (small) return to form for Pixar smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. 0:35 of the cue "Bloodhound" has some Powell influence for sure. Both the shape of the melody and the saxophones in the accompaniment seem inspired by him.
  4. Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Oboe versions of various popular Williams themes with a small orchestra. Quite charming indeed.

I adore that album. That Williams himself joins in on the piano on the last track is an extra treat.

How have I not heard about this album, sounds right up my alley! Unfortunately I can't find a copy anywhere online!
  5. Jaws Williams

This new release from Intrada sounds absolutely incredible, what a treat to have both the film tracks and rerecorded album restored in this way. In a year of absolutely stunning releases from all the labels this has got to be my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Of course it's boring because everyone else likes it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    If I want to listen to Conan, I listen to Intrada's stellar set.

Lovely set. And of course. Whatever suits your fancy.
    As it strikes mine to give the Tadlow many, MANY repeated listens.

Ah, the marvel of the age we live in.
    We do not have to choose. We have BOTH. And THEN some.

Agreed, and now we even have the whole thing performed by organ too, a marvellous age indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Of course it's boring because everyone else likes it.

-Erik-

Actually, I was all set to like it, since Göransson is an interesting newcomer, and it's in the ROCKY universe and all, but alas....
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I tried CREED once, but gave up on it because it was boring. Yes, the composer managed to create a sound that fits into the ROCKY series, but it just didn't do much for me. I'll finish the album, probably today, but I wasn't impacted at all by the first half.
  8. christopher wrote
    I tried CREED once, but gave up on it because it was boring. Yes, the composer managed to create a sound that fits into the ROCKY series, but it just didn't do much for me. I'll finish the album, probably today, but I wasn't impacted at all by the first half.

I didn't think it was boring at all during my first listen. In fact I liked it because the composer paid homage to the Rocky universe wonderfully well, whilst delivering his own take and sound of what Rocky should sound like to him. Hated the dialogue though. sad

I'm gonna listen to it again soon smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Kraemer

The album goes on a bit but this is great music.
  10. NP: Ender's Game (2013) - Steve Jablonsky

This was greeted lukewarm or dismissively. My boat it floats. It really moves me.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2015
    Revenge of the Sith - Johnny Williams

This is very good. Might be worth people picking it up if they haven't already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015
    Actually I discovered this web page which contains more details about the film. It did not escape my attention that it was nominated for an Academy Award, but this was ten years ago when perhaps the award did not carry the stature it does today. I apologise to all the foreigners here - the web page appears to be available only in English. However, I am willing to offer my translation services. I am reasonably fluent in conversational French and German. Should somebody require information in neither French nor German, perhaps he or she should consider using a paid translation service.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Carol - Carter Burwell

Can't get enough of this after seeing the staggering Todd Haynes film last night which is a near masterpiece. Burwell's score is remarkable too; it works brilliantly in virtually every scene it's employed.

I know we say this every year about certain scores, but I think it'll be one of the greatest injustices of all time if Burwell (not to mention Haynes and Cate Blanchett) misses out on an Oscar nomination for this. And it's not just a case of an artist being overdue either - this is genuinely great and I'd have absolutely no problem if it won Best Score.
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote
    I tried CREED once, but gave up on it because it was boring. Yes, the composer managed to create a sound that fits into the ROCKY series, but it just didn't do much for me. I'll finish the album, probably today, but I wasn't impacted at all by the first half.

I didn't think it was boring at all during my first listen. In fact I liked it because the composer paid homage to the Rocky universe wonderfully well, whilst delivering his own take and sound of what Rocky should sound like to him. Hated the dialogue though. sad

I'm gonna listen to it again soon smile

After finishing the score, I concede all your points. You are completely right. Yet it was never a style of music that I enjoyed listening to away from the films. While I was impressed with the composer's skill, I was unmoved.
  12. Southall wrote
    Actually I discovered this web page which contains more details about the film. It did not escape my attention that it was nominated for an Academy Award, but this was ten years ago when perhaps the award did not carry the stature it does today. I apologise to all the foreigners here - the web page appears to be available only in English. However, I am willing to offer my translation services. I am reasonably fluent in conversational French and German. Should somebody require information in neither French nor German, perhaps he or she should consider using a paid translation service.

Your gentlemanly scholarship moves me. I too shall offer my services, as I am moderately fluent in Biblical Spanish. Such a webpage deserves to be enjoyed by all.
  13. David OC wrote
    Carol - Carter Burwell

Can't get enough of this after seeing the staggering Todd Haynes film last night which is a near masterpiece. Burwell's score is remarkable too; it works brilliantly in virtually every scene it's employed.

I know we say this every year about certain scores, but I think it'll be one of the greatest injustices of all time if Burwell (not to mention Haynes and Cate Blanchett) misses out on an Oscar nomination for this. And it's not just a case of an artist being overdue either - this is genuinely great and I'd have absolutely no problem if it won Best Score.

That is some high praise. I'll have to keep an eye out for this score.

NP - BROOKLYN - Michael Brook.

This is lovely. It's very soft, melodic, and calming, for the most part. The highlight of the score for me is the elegaic "Goodbye Ellis." It's a slow build, but by the end it's just heartbreaking.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015 edited
    The Flash, Season 1 - Blake Neely

The synth orchestra outside of the pilot cues is grating (although given the budget, understandable) but this is otherwise very solid television music. I much prefer it to the same composer's work on Arrow.

My next project is to listen to all six Star Wars scores in preparation for the Force Awakens!
  14. Southall wrote

Da wollen wir doch einmal herausfinden, ob dieser aufgeblasene Dummschwätzer tatsächlich Deutsch versteht. Sein sarkastischer Unterton deutet hoffentlich nicht darauf hin, dass James den Spaß an der ganzen Sache hier verloren hat. wink
  15. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ender's Game (2013) - Steve Jablonsky

This was greeted lukewarm or dismissively. My boat it floats. It really moves me.

smile Volker

Your lone flag for this score is quite intriguing to me. I must admit I like the main theme as heard in the opening cue, but not after it's repeated in the exact same arrangement multiple times throughout the score. You can really tell it was a replacement by how very static/stagnant it is, IMO.

Care to share some favorite aspects/cues? Maybe I overlooked something...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

smile Volker

Your lone flag for this score is quite intriguing to me. I must admit I like the main theme as heard in the opening cue, but not after it's repeated in the exact same arrangement multiple times throughout the score. You can really tell it was a replacement by how very static/stagnant it is, IMO.

The score is OK (without some standout pieces), but the film was pants.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I rather liked the film.
    Don't remember a damn thing about the score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  16. I just started listening to Steven Price's "The Hunt" and was shocked to hear how good it was (at least in the first half hour?). I can find almost no mention of it online anywhere, in fact the most verbose description I saw was in this very thread (so hi!) but even that was tiny, nowhere near review length. To me this score sounds right up there with the best of Fenton so it's surprising that it's gotten so little visibility. I guess there are just too many new scores these days and things like this get drowned in the deluge. That, and Price is so far known for atmospheric, unlistenableish scores. But this is assuredly proper nature documentary score. To me it sounds halfway between Fenton, and the Gold/Foster sound as most similarly heard in "Hidden Kingdoms" last year. Definitely recommended smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015 edited
    Thanks for the heads-up, Morgan (and welcome to the forum). I'll check it out. Even if I disagree with you in your assessment of Price. I adore GRAVITY and think ATTACK THE BLOCK works wonderfully in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

smile Volker

I too love the theme. I don't think you overlooked anything. It's just that the very aspect of repetitiveness that bores you has a deeply relaxing effect on me. You know I also love to listen to ambient electronica, like Klaus Schulze or Brian Eno. I believe it is just a matter of taste.
    I liked the film well enough. Nothing special though. The novel is way better.
  18. There's a big, big difference between ambient electronica and playing the exact same RC power anthem the exact same way five times in a row, though! dizzy