• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2015
    Mine is

Wait, I'll get back to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Be sure you do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wow, have five minutes passed already? It feels more recent than that.

Still considering this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Be sure that you do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015
    Keep a man in suspense why don't you. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They're catching up!

( fast ones don't count, they're shit )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm closing soon for Christmas so it might be next year before I respond I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015 edited
    NP: THE GOOD DINOSAUR - Mychael & Jeff Danna

First listen. Some very pretty stuff - I like the Americana twang it has.

Would still like to have heard Newman's take on it. He needs to do far more animated films, especially those with the sort of heart that Pixar can offer.

EDIT: Actually, given the Dannas' world instrumentation leanings, this is probably the closest it could have gone towards a Newman-style score. The final result actually sounds like a Powell/Newman effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Having said all that, now that I have finished the album, this HAD to have been temped with John Powell...
  1. I listened to half a dozen cues. Nothing grabbed me at all. I think the project has just been one big misfire, with the composers as well. While I'd be way more interested in hearing what Newman may or may not have come up with, I think they needed a different composer altogether.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Oboe versions of various popular Williams themes with a small orchestra. Quite charming indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Oboe versions of various popular Williams themes with a small orchestra. Quite charming indeed.

I adore that album. That Williams himself joins in on the piano on the last track is an extra treat.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He does? I didn't know that. Well, that makes it a little more precious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

The Prometheus recording. Bloody awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Indeed! Too bad the Conan The Barbarian re-recording does sound like this!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I don't hear anything wrong the Barbarian re-recording. Must be my hearing... Both are great fun IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Barbarian sounds compressed and clipped in parts especially during the louder moments. And there are some performance issues and bizarre musical choices.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Probably I lack the musical expertise to hear that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Barbarian sounds compressed and clipped in parts especially during the louder moments. And there are some performance issues and bizarre musical choices.

-Erik-

Bah humbug!
    I can't hear the compression or clipping, so I don't care. And the performance is beeding TOP NOTCH!
    EXCELLENT! And I really, really, REALLY love this score, so would NOT have listened to a damn note if they'd even fucked up one triplet.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with Martijn and The Captain, I just don't hear a problem, it's brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Be sure you do.

War Horse - John Williams

Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I agree with Martijn and The Captain, I just don't hear a problem, it's brilliant.

Notes are missed, especially in "Riddle Of Steel/Riders Of Doom" which carries over during the needle dropped "Orgy Fight" cue. Anvil of Crom is a mess once it reaches high volume levels. Very muddy. And the use of a cymbal instead of that screeching sound effect that we hear on the original track "Wheel Of Pain" was a misstep.

Tadlow's Conan is quite disappointing especially after listening to the rest of their brilliant catalog of releases... especially the superior Conan The Destroyer release.

If I want to listen to Conan, I listen to Intrada's stellar set.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Be sure you do.

War Horse - John Williams

Brilliant.

Yes, I suppose that counts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

Lovely set. And of course. Whatever suits your fancy.
    As it strikes mine to give the Tadlow many, MANY repeated listens.

Ah, the marvel of the age we live in.
    We do not have to choose. We have BOTH. And THEN some.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

The re-recording flipped my appreciation of this score 180 degrees!
    Due to the lacklustre, messy original I never got into it (excepting a brief 50 second bit in Chamber Of Mirrors. You know the bit I mean smile ), but the rerecording really brought out the marvelous detail and power of the score. Absolutely adore it now.
  4. yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. I think that Conan cymbol effect was the one they said they couldn't figure out how it was done.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015
    ^ They knew it was a sound effect but they thought instead of trying to replicate it they decided to do something more "musical." Not a good choice, IMO. But it's not my money paying for it.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

The re-recording flipped my appreciation of this score 180 degrees!
    Due to the lacklustre, messy original I never got into it (excepting a brief 50 second bit in Chamber Of Mirrors. You know the bit I mean smile ), but the rerecording really brought out the marvelous detail and power of the score. Absolutely adore it now.

As you know, I long championed this score and the Prometheus recording is exceptional ( and the one I reach for, it is an astoundingly rewarding listen ) but I still say the original is much more deserving than a "brief 50 second bit", warts and all, particularly the 'magical, mystical' parts with the keyboards, I'll still get it out to play at some point in the future.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Lovely set. And of course. Whatever suits your fancy.
    As it strikes mine to give the Tadlow many, MANY repeated listens.

Ah, the marvel of the age we live in.
    We do not have to choose. We have BOTH. And THEN some.

yeah

Though on this I agree with Erik as in I will reach for the sublime Intrada set before the re-recording and also on his view of The Wheel of Pain track, that metallic screeching sound is quite unique, I'm not surprised it was impossible to replicate.