• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

This is bound to go down in history as one of those great science fiction scores. Fabulous.

Day One is already the go-to track to accompany any feature on television about space/astronauts/the universe in the Netherlands.

Also in Germany.

I haven't noticed it for some time but the piece that kept recurring on British TV space-docus and the like was from VERTIGO, the best sc-fi music never written for a sci-fi film and still, IMO, the music that describes the vastness of the universe best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    VERTIGO... IMO, the music that describes the vastness of the universe best.

Now there's a description worthy of attention. Come to think of it, having racked my brains to think of a better example, I might have to agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Now there's a description worthy of attention. Come to think of it, having racked my brains to think of a better example, I might have to agree.

I'm racking my brain too. There are plenty of great examples like this * and I have heard parts of the symphony used for vast outer space stuff.

*That's also me slipping in a bit of the old RVW wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Been listening to mostly very good stuff today:

Luv - Nuno Malo

Keeps growing me even though it's melodies are low-key and the score overall is very much more 'textural' than anything.

Jennifer 8 - Maurice Jarre

First listen to the rejected in-progress score. Nice main theme that recurs quite a bit. 2 or 3 excellent suspenseful moments too. Started out non-plussed and ready to abandon it too but it gets better as it progresses and takes interesting shape.

Spy - Theodore Shapiro

Listened to this 2 or 3 times in recent days. Not a comedy score, of course - plays it entirely straight. The main motif isn't obvious at first but it actually opens the first cue, goes missing for stretches and then is brilliantly incorporated into some late action cues. Overall, highly entertaining and one of his best.

Red Eye - Marco Beltrami

This one is a massive let-down. Long stretches of boring suspense. Has two decent action cues and a catchy main title - and little else.

Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Really love this one. Cut out about 7 or 8 non-essential cues and the album would be perfect. Great to hear Doyle's voice back in full after some generic action scores of late. Appreciated it even more after seeing the film too (inadvertent screening hasten to add! Admitting to anything else would be slightly embarrassing.)
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Peter Pan scores, huh... I was going to do a radio show on the subject last year but never got around to doing it.

My order would be.... not including the Tinker Bell spin off movies or films like Finding Neverland.

1) Hook (Williams)
    2) Return to Neverland (McNeely)
    3) Peter Pan: Stage Play (Wallfisch)
    4) Peter Pan (Howard)
    5) Pan (Powell)
    6) Peter Pan (Wallace)

-Erik-

I'd put Powell's waaaaay above JNH's (although, granted, I haven't heard the complete score of the latter which is said to be revelatory). The Wallfisch one is absolutely fantastic.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Peter Pan scores, huh... I was going to do a radio show on the subject last year but never got around to doing it.

My order would be.... not including the Tinker Bell spin off movies or films like Finding Neverland.

1) Hook (Williams)
    2) Return to Neverland (McNeely)
    3) Peter Pan: Stage Play (Wallfisch)
    4) Peter Pan (Howard)
    5) Pan (Powell)
    6) Peter Pan (Wallace)

-Erik-

I'd put Powell's waaaaay above JNH's (although, granted, I haven't heard the complete score of the latter which is said to be revelatory). The Wallfisch one is absolutely fantastic.

Well that ranking is not surprising, isn't it? Bus yes, I also would place Powell over Howard here. Wallfisch left me rather cold but I have a soft spot for the score Wallace (et al) wrote for the original Disney animation.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some good scores but has there ever been a good Peter Pan film?
  3. Well I will always think Hook is a misunderstood masterpiece, so there's that one at least (for me).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Seriously? This leaves you cold, Cap?

I LOVE that cue. It reminds me of Thomas Bergersen's more orchestral side. Brilliantly detailed, soaring orchestral music a la Williams or Horner on peak form! Actually that cue reminds me a lot of "Buckbeak's Flight" from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and if I had to choose which one I like more I'm not so sure I'd favor Williams...
  5. My All American (John Paesano)

Ow boy, what a great score. Here's my review of it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Seriously? This leaves you cold, Cap?

I LOVE that cue. It reminds me of Thomas Bergersen's more orchestral side. Brilliantly detailed, soaring orchestral music a la Williams or Horner on peak form! Actually that cue reminds me a lot of "Buckbeak's Flight" from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and if I had to choose which one I like more I'm not so sure I'd favor Williams...

Well, it certainly is not a bad score. The cue in question is quite effective but it's an idea rather than a theme and is repeated so often and with little development that even at 2:30 minutes length it becomes rather boring. I would have wished for an interlude to counter the idea and give the whole thing more structure.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Well I will always think Hook is a misunderstood masterpiece, so there's that one at least (for me).

Well, IMO the film does have some serious shortcomings but there are also some strong aspects to it. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but I am not as dismissive about it as others seem to be.
    As to the music I love the original album more than the expansion. The music has an operetta kind of feel to it, as has the film. The concept was conceived as a musical originally and maybe that's why. The expansion in this case is an overdose for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm racking my brain too. There are plenty of great examples like this * and I have heard parts of the symphony used for vast outer space stuff.

*That's also me slipping in a bit of the old RVW wink

Very Herrmannesque it is too, Herrmann was an anglophile and a huge supporter of RVW, there is no doubt that he was influenced by his work too. Goldsmith's Star Trek TMP owes something here too, didn't he say something to that effect at the time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't noticed it for some time but the piece that kept recurring on British TV space-docus and the like was from VERTIGO, the best sc-fi music never written for a sci-fi film and still, IMO, the music that describes the vastness of the universe best.

For me, interestingly, in any soundtrack that would be John Barry!
    Either the theme for The Black Hole or the Space Later Battle track from Moonraker.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2015 edited
    Back to the Future Part II - Silvestri (Intrada)

Man, I'm having fun with this... I remember it wasn't a very inspired effort back in the day, but now, with this new presentation and with the improved sound, it's a very good sequel score, exciting and memorable. I'm expecting part III to be even better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

For me, interestingly, in any soundtrack that would be John Barry!
    Either the theme for The Black Hole or the Space Later Battle track from Moonraker.

Never let it be said that you can't be full of surprises.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought this might elicit a remark from you! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I thought this might elicit a remark from you! smile

biggrin

From Black Hole this one floats my spaceship.

Oh, and this one from the 1.44 point.

Where else can you find a film with a cast that includes Caroline Munro, Christopher Plummer and The Hoff!!?

Prepare yourself for the greatest line in the entire history of film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Plummer looks either high or drunk here.
    Wouldn't blame him for a second.
  8. Nothing. Sometimes I just need a "a day off" from listening to any kind of music. Do you experience such days too?

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No.
    Never.

Clearly you need medical attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Nothing. Sometimes I just need a "a day off" from listening to any kind of music. Do you experience such days too?

smile Volker

Yes, often. Especially when I'm on holiday. But I need SOME kind of noise, due to the tinnitus and all that. I used to love absolute silence. Now I pretty much can't take it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Plummer looks either high or drunk here.
    Wouldn't blame him for a second.

Fans have long wondered what the hell John Barry was doing being involved in this, maybe he was high or drunk too!? wink

The film is so bad it's good, a guilty pleasure.
  9. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (Jason Hayes, Mike Patti, Glenn Stafford & Neal Acree)

Another enjoyable score from the Blizzard guys, I'm sure my brother will find something here he'll like
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM (James Horner)

This has never been a particular favourite of mine, but every time I play it I'm reminded of how good it actually is -- tropes and all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Volcano (Complete version) Alan Silvestri

The Varese 30 minute album does not do this score justice. Save for a few dud tracks, mostly near the start, this is an excellent action score that any action junkie should hear. One of his best.
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (Jason Hayes, Mike Patti, Glenn Stafford & Neal Acree)

Another enjoyable score from the Blizzard guys, I'm sure my brother will find something here he'll like

Oh yeah, playing the game right now and it's got some good stuff. Too bad main man Russell Brower didn't contribute to this one... he knows his way around an orchestra and choir. And the game's pretty awesome, the final installment in the SC II trilogy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Volcano (Complete version) Alan Silvestri

The Varese 30 minute album does not do this score justice. Save for a few dud tracks, mostly near the start, this is an excellent action score that any action junkie should hear. One of his best.

Good score to one of duh most stoopidest flims ever! So silly it's a must watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015
    It wouldn't be half as watchable were it not for Tommy Lee Jones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015 edited
    [spoiler]
    ──────────────▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ─────────────█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓█
    ────────────█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█──█▓▄▄▓█
    ───────────█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█───▀█──█▀
    ──────────█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█──█────█
    ─────────█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█──█──█
    ────────█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█──▀▀
    ───────▄████████████████▄