• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

Probably the best MI score.

If by 'best' you mean the 'second worst' after the Giacchinos, then yes, you're right.

The best is Zimmer's, followed by Elfman's. The rest, I don't care for at all.

My list.
    1. Elfman's
    2. Kraemer's
    3. Zimmer's
    4. Giacchino's (his two contributions felt very anonymous to me, despite some excellent cues)
  1. Steven wrote
    Well, as you no doubt know, you're wrong.

He's right actually ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2015
    Zimmer's score is down right awful (like the film) and Thor is just saying Zimmer's the best just to be Thor.

The right answer and sequence to the M:I scores is the following.

1) Elfman
    2) Kraemer
    3) Giacchino M:I3
    4) Giacchino M:I4

5) Zimmer's piece of shit!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Well, as you no doubt know, you're wrong.

He is! Zimmer's score is awful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scratch that! Zimmer's score is, as Erik rightly points out, shit!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like a few of the tracks on Zimmer's score, mostly the flamenco/Spanish guitar stuff. But as a score, it's certainly the worse of the bunch. (As Thor and German-Thor will no doubt agree.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mission Impossible Danny Elfman

Crikey. This is better than I remember it.
  2. To me, Elfman's M:I score is one of the best things he's ever done. It's in my Top 5 from him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Zimmer's score is down right awful (like the film) and Thor is just saying Zimmer's the best just to be Thor.

Actually, no, that couldn't be further from the truth -- it's by FAR the best score. Gorgeous Latin-tempered grooves, some nice power anthems, it's just a fantastic concept album from start to finish. I have a soft spot for the film too.

Elfman's score I didn't like for a number of years, but have grown to appreciate it more despite very "dense" soundscapes and tons of counterpoint -- really the Elfman score that launched the composer's second 'sound style'.

Kraemer's score has some good things going for it -- especially the retro Schifrin vibe -- but is too bombastic overall (that's right, I used the 'b' word again).

Giacchino's stuff is shite.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And just to piss of EVERYBODY, my favourite Mission Impossible score is the highly energetic and enjoyable Zimmer one, followed closely by Giacchino's clever take on the franchise. smile

NP: Conan for organ - Basil Poledouris (Philipp Pelster, organist)

Initially slightly weary after John Rose's disastrous try at Star Wars for organ, I'm pleasantly surprised so far!
    The softer queues come off better than the action/epic ones (mainly I guess due to technical limitations: a certain level of staccato playstyle is necessary to avoid a chaotic aural stew...but it DOES have an impact on the compositions dynamics).
    So far so good, though!
    The track Riddle Of Steel/Ridesr Of Doom is FANTASTIC!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    To me, Elfman's M:I score is one of the best things he's ever done. It's in my Top 5 from him.

What's in your Top 5?

Mine includes
    - Batman
    - M:I
    - Spider-Man 1&2
    - ?
    - Sommersby
  3. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Zimmer's score is down right awful.

Actually, no, that couldn't be further from the truth -- it's by FAR the best score.

We certainly don't need to preface all our comments with 'In my opinion' as that's pretty implicit to the nature of a message board for opinions on film music but the 'Mission: Impossible' scores sure are stirring up a lot of definitive factual statements about something as subjective as music... ;-)
  4. And just to be really boring I think all the scores are pretty great! My favourite is probably Elfman and least is 'Ghost Protocol'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Zimmer's score is down right awful.

Actually, no, that couldn't be further from the truth -- it's by FAR the best score.

We certainly don't need to preface all our comments with 'In my opinion' as that's pretty implicit to the nature of a message board for opinions on film music but the 'Mission: Impossible' scores sure are stirring up a lot of definitive factual statements about something as subjective as music... ;-)

When disagreeing with Erik Woods, one has to rebutt with the same type of arguments one is given. This is one of the board's basic rules of survival. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP Berlin: Symphony of a Metropolis (1927) - Edmund Meisel

Symphonic score, reconstructed from the piano version, which is the only surviving source. The film is a silent experimental film that documents a day in Berlin in 1927. The Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Frank Strobel. Modernist expressionism.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Conan for organ - Basil Poledouris (Philipp Pelster, organist)

Initially slightly weary after John Rose's disastrous try at Star Wars for organ, I'm pleasantly surprised so far!
    The softer queues come off better than the action/epic ones (mainly I guess due to technical limitations: a certain level of staccato playstyle is necessary to avoid a chaotic aural stew...but it DOES have an impact on the compositions dynamics).
    So far so good, though!

This REALLY is VERY good!!! What a great adaptation and transcription!
    Enjoying the dickens out of this!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    To me, Elfman's M:I score is one of the best things he's ever done. It's in my Top 5 from him.

What's in your Top 5?

Mine includes
    - Batman
    - Spider-Man 1&2
    - ?
    - Sommersby

In no particular order:

1. Mission: Impossible
    2. Black Beauty
    3. Edward Scissorhands
    4. Family Dog
    5. Anywhere But Here
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Actually, no, that couldn't be further from the truth -- it's by FAR the best score. Gorgeous Latin-tempered grooves, some nice power anthems, it's just a fantastic concept album from start to finish. I have a soft spot for the film too.

Martijn wrote
    And just to piss of EVERYBODY, my favourite Mission Impossible score is the highly energetic and enjoyable Zimmer one, followed closely by Giacchino's clever take on the franchise. smile

I will join you two and agree that M:I 2 by is awesome, if only for one of my favorite Zimmer cues: Injection.

And I like the film a lot, it may not be a true M:I film, but it's definitely a John Woo film... stylishly over the top, which for me, is more than enough to enjoy. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Thor wrote
    When disagreeing with Erik Woods, one has to rebutt with the same type of arguments one is given. This is one of the board's basic rules of survival. smile

A very good point, I suspect Erik may have a similar opinion when it comes to disagreeing with a Thor! ;-)
  9. So it's four of us who agree on the Zimmer score. Second for me comes Elfman. I have to admit that that is about all that I know about the franchise. (The original theme by Schifrin aside.) I'm not a big fan of thriller scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote

What's in your Top 5?

Mine includes
    - Batman
    - Spider-Man 1&2
    - ?
    - Sommersby

In no particular order:

2. Black Beauty
    3. Edward Scissorhands
    4. Family Dog
    5. Anywhere But Here

hmm, haven't heard of "Family Dog" or "Anywhere But Here" and I didn't care very much for Scissorhands. I'll check on those. I remember reading reviews about Black Beauty being much better than Sommersby. I'll try that too.
  10. Elfman:

Batman
    Spider-Man 2
    Sleepy Hollow
    Batman Returns
    Sommersby
  11. lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote

What's in your Top 5?

Mine includes
    - Batman
    - Spider-Man 1&2
    - ?
    - Sommersby

In no particular order:

2. Black Beauty
    3. Edward Scissorhands
    4. Family Dog
    5. Anywhere But Here

hmm, haven't heard of "Family Dog" or "Anywhere But Here" and I didn't care very much for Scissorhands. I'll check on those. I remember reading reviews about Black Beauty being much better than Sommersby. I'll try that too.

Unfortunately, a good deal of ABH wasn't used in the film and all we got on CD was a suite of score:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfhj-Mg6ctc

There's nothing I don't love about "Family Dog", an episode of "Amazing Stories":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcw_1Qf-Gsk

Unfortunately, again, only two cues from the score were released:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRdarQA5EU

When Intrada did their AS sets, they couldn't find the masters to do the full score, so scenes like the jazzy montage cue or the war march-like cue that leads up to the dogt wizzing on the carpet, could not be included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    Elfman:

Batman
    Spider-Man 2
    Sleepy Hollow
    Batman Returns
    Sommersby

I don't remember much about the Sleepy Hollow score beside a some big brass lines. What's special about it to you? Is it really thematic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Unfortunately, a good deal of ABH wasn't used in the film and all we got on CD was a suite of score:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfhj-Mg6ctc

Don't forget the song "Strange Wind" performed by Poe, but written by Elfman (the main melody obviously recurs in the score as well) -- also available on the soundtrack, and by far the best of the songs.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. lp wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Sleepy Hollow

I don't remember much about the Sleepy Hollow score beside a some big brass lines. What's special about it to you? Is it really thematic?

It's not very thematic, but it creates great Gothic soundscapes. There is some outstanding vocal and choral work here. The score comes close to what Kilar achieved with Dracula and The Ninth Gate, maybe not all of it but a big part.
    Also I happen to like the film and that always elevates the music for me. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote

A very good point, I suspect Erik may have a similar opinion when it comes to disagreeing with a Thor! ;-)

Thor's just Weirdtarded for Weirdtared sakes. He gets off on it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015
    The Counselor - Daniel Pemberton

I'm amazed how rarely - if at all - this one gets mentioned. What a brilliant score. Something interesting in virtually every cue. Totally in love with it after two listens only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote

Thor's just Weirdtarded for Weirdtared sakes. He gets off on it!

-Erik-

See what I'm talkin' bout, John? Gotta get down and boogie with this guy! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  13. David OC wrote
    The Counselor - Daniel Pemberton

I'm amazed how rarely - if at all - this one gets mentioned. What a brilliant score. Something interesting in virtually every cue. Totally in love with it after two listens only.

Seriously? I didn't care for it much at all!