• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015 edited
    STEVE JOBS | daniel pemberton

He's one of the composers of the year I think. Man from UNCLE probably is the coolest score of 2015, and certainly a favourite of mine (the track Unfinished Kiss is superb). The Steve Jobs scores is a very varied type of score, with operette-like pieces meeting modern electronic music (including some variations of familiar sounds from Mac computers) combined with tense dramatic scoring. Highlights are Change the World and Circus of Machines. Revenge reminded me a bit of Glass. I like it. The live performance of Circus of Machines at the WSA was a highlight.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015 edited
    He's been a great new discovery for me too. The entire UNCLE score is great but 'Circular Story' is my favourite, most played cue.

Still Alice - Ilan Eshkeri

Lovely pared back and brief score with two simply structured but effective themes. Along with Julianne Moore's performance, Eshkeri provides dignity for what is an otherwise very mediocre film.
  1. NP: Killing Season - Christopher Young

There's some beautiful passages of music here, but they tend to be buried within the 18-minute tracks, in amongst less interesting material. I would find it interesting to hear the original cues that Young didn't want us to hear.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Trishna - Shigeru Umebayashi

Excellent little score this one. Measured and deliberate scoring from the composer. Slow paced, this score reminds me of the mesmerising scores from Greek composer Eleni Karaindrou.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited
    NP: Trumbo - Theodore Shapiro

The jazz style reminds me of Herrmann's Taxi Driver (with its muted brass) and Shore's The Score - and I'd rather listen to either of these than this. The unusual percussion I'm hearing is quite quirky (it could be some sort of prepared piano?). But the rest just meanders along without much impact.
  3. NP: It Follows - Richard Vreeland

Grating and not very inviting. Only occasionally does it offer anything I'd want to listen to again, e.g., "Detroit."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015
    ^ It stinks. I get what the film makers wanted from the score but it's really not good at all.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    All the President's Men - David Shire

Brevity is the key to this unobtrusive, minimal but brilliantly constructed score that gets a hell of a lot of mileage out of two very malleable notes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: It Follows - Richard Vreeland

Grating and not very inviting. Only occasionally does it offer anything I'd want to listen to again, e.g., "Detroit."

My second favourite film of the year! Absolutely fantastic! And the score is brilliant too, although I agree with you in that it only occasionally offers something I'd listen to alone.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Seventh Son Beltrami

Well this is rather nice.
  5. Bit long though.
  6. The end titles from that is one of my favorite Beltrami pieces. So cool to finally hear him in an adventure mode, even if it's tinged with his usual darkness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Trishna - Shigeru Umebayashi

Excellent little score this one. Measured and deliberate scoring from the composer. Slow paced, this score reminds me of the mesmerising scores from Greek composer Eleni Karaindrou.

Thanks for pointing out this one. I just listened to the first track and it defenitely sounds like Umebayashi!
    Kazoo
  7. NP: La Revolution Fancaise (1989) - George Delerue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015
    NP: Paris Brûle-til? - Maurice Jarre
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Back to the Future (1984) - Alan Silvestri

In the mail today. I like this score very much better in it's C&C format than the re-recorded excerpts on the Varese "Trilogy" album. So I have changed my view on this score.

I think the only science fiction score from the 70s and 80s that I consider a vacancy in my collection is SILENT RUNNING.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mulholland Falls - Dave Grusin

The main theme doesn't particularly excite me especially in its more laid-back form. The up tempo variation, as in the last minute of the opening track however is great. 'Nuclear Madness/Hats in the Desert' is possibly the best dramatic cue but the score overall is middle of the road at best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Mulholland Falls - Dave Grusin

The main theme doesn't particularly excite me especially in its more laid-back form. The up tempo variation, as in the last minute of the opening track however is great. 'Nuclear Madness/Hats in the Desert' is possibly the best dramatic cue but the score overall is middle of the road at best.

I'm far more enthusiastic over this one than you, in fact I love it. It's a musical twin to Goldsmith's Chinatown.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer it to Goldsmith's score, though I prefer the concert version of Goldsmith's theme over anything in Grusin's score. Fact?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nah! Goldsmith's original all day and dailyyyyyyyy! fact!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I can definitely hear the connection and whilst its obviously inferior to Chinatown and other jazz/noirish type scores, it's certainly a lot better than I remembered it being.

The Cure - Dave Grusin

Now this is wonderful. Beautiful melodies and very heartfelt. The 3rd cue, 'Shopping Cart Ride' is brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2015
    The Counselor - Daniel Pemberton

Love this score which combines modern textures with an orchestra to great effect. And all of it is entwined with a wonderful main theme - surely the coolest Western theme written for a non-Western in recent memory!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2015
    Blood - Daniel Pemberton

Intriguing score. Only the last two cues really jump out at you with their melodic aspects. The rest you have to work much harder to define but I do like the fact that it's on this 3rd or 4th full listen that I'm finding more and more to like about it.
  9. NP: Planet of the Apes (1968) - Jerry Goldsmith

I didn't listen to this score in ages. It's far more accessible now for me than I remembered it. Who could imagine such wild creativity in a Hollywood production these days? Interestingly when I try to compare this to more recent productions, one score that comes to mind is Price's electronic ambient score for GRAVITY.

Volker
  10. NP: The Time Machine (1960) - Russell Garcia

The original recording on FSM. Brilliant!
  11. NP: Fantastic Voyage (1966) - Leonard Rosenman

The FSM edition. There is some great scifi film music to be found in the 60s.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    There is some great scifi fil music to be found in the 60s.

And some! Much of it in TV scoring. ( Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Star Trek, The Invaders, Doctor Who, All of the Barry Gray scored Gerry Anderson shows etc )
  12. Indeed.

NP: Star Trek TOS Volume Two - Alexander Courage, Fred Steiner et al.

I love those recordings, the National Philharmonic Orchestra did for Varese Sarabande and Label X.
  13. The 60s seem a bit like the "forgotten decade" within our ranks. Maybe because we tend to think of pop music driven scores automatically.
    What I like about the orchestral film music of this decade is that there is often a touch of avant garde to be found. (If not full blown avant garde.) This is even apparent in the Star Trek TOS scores. For Twilight Zone it was a trade mark. I find that Bear McCreary's scores for BG 2004 uphold that tradition.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015
    The Escapist - Benjamin Wallfisch

The opening piece is memorably dynamic. Some filler after that but also some interesting briefer cues, even those which lean heavily on electronics.