• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    Agree, to bad it´s only 38 minutes of score (a half of the music of the film), but what a 38 minutes they are!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MULHOLLAND FALLS - Dave Grusin

An excellent score and my favourite of the composer ( not that I have much by him ), this is very much in the vein of Goldsmith's Chinatown and every bit as listenable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008 edited
    NP: Shadows of the Empire - Joel McNeely

A spectacular effort. I love McNeely's new themes for the Imperial City, Xizor, and Dash Rendar. While I hoped to hear more of Williams' own Star Wars themes in the score McNeely's incorporation of Darth Vader's Theme and The Force Theme in "Night Skies" is absolutely spine tingling. Two of the most powerful renditions of those themes ever!

The Royal Scottish National Orchestra hit the ball out of the park with their performance with this very difficult piece and the open and deep sounds of the hall captured by Jonathan Allen is an asset! One of the best sounding RSNO recordings I own.

And the finale "The Destruction of Xizor's Palace" is a glorious 10 minute piece with influences from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky in the choir. IMHO, this is easily the best finale of ANY Star Wars score. Imagine if Jedi had ended like this. Oh baby!!!

Anyway, a fantastic work.

Now moving on to The Matrix Reloaded - Suite and then Son of the Morning Star by Craig Safan.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Shadows of the Empire - Joel McNeely

And the finale "The Destruction of Xizor's Palace" is a glorious 10 minute piece with influences from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky in the choir. IMHO, this is easily the best finale of ANY Star Wars score. Imagine if Jedi had ended like this. Oh baby!!!

-Erik-

Indeed. An impressive track, and the best finale possible for the score. I love the choir work present in the whole cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

This is a great score! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Agree, to bad it´s only 38 minutes of score (a half of the music of the film), but what a 38 minutes they are!

She's orchestrating on Horton Hears A Who! as well. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FILM MUSIC OF RON GOODWIN

As said by Erik and Steven over the past couple days this is friggin EXCELLENT!
    In your face film music at it's finest.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Spacecamp - John Williams

Symphonic gold! Themes a plenty, gorgeous orchestrations that are reminiscent of his work in Temple of Doom and Amazing Stories: The Mission. Rousing conclusions to some of the cues in patented Williams style. And a phenomenal End Credit piece to sum it all up. Hopefully, one day, we can get an expanded treatment of this score or at least a domestic CD release of the LP and Japanese CD presentation. I can't remember much of the film because I saw it when it was first released so I have no idea if there is anything good missing but this Japanese import sounds fine to me. GREAT SCORE!

Moving onto HOLLOW MAN by Jerry Goldsmith. I'm not fond of the Basic Instinct inspired main theme but I remember the action music to be quite good and the "Isabelle Comes Back" cue to be the highlight of the score... for me at least!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Goodwin mood continues, so
    NP The Battle of Britain (Ron Goodwin)
    He really knew how to write this kinda music. And another memorable main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    NP: Wojciech Kilar - Portrait of a Lady

Mmmmm...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    petersv wrote
    NP: Wojciech Kilar - Portrait of a Lady

Mmmmm...

Indeed! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    The Goodwin mood continues, so
    NP The Battle of Britain (Ron Goodwin)
    He really knew how to write this kinda music. And another memorable main theme.

Indeed! x 2 cool
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Moving onto HOLLOW MAN by Jerry Goldsmith. I'm not fond of the Basic Instinct inspired main theme but I remember the action music to be quite good and the "Isabelle Comes Back" cue to be the highlight of the score... for me at least!

-Erik-

Tracks 4 and 5 are also superb, but you're right, 'Isabelle Comes Back' is one of Goldsmith's last great cues. I know what you mean about the BASIC INSTINCT echo in the theme, but to me its remarkable how a slight shift in the chords - that was so teasing in the way it suggested Stone might be innocent in BI, becomes like a siren call to play God in this film.

NP: Luzhin Defence - Desplat

I particularly like the music for the 'chess' scenes, which anticipated his music for HOSTAGE, strangely enough.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indeed. And it scores the best sequence in the whole movie.

NP Terminator 3 (Marco Beltrami)
    After watching the season (or show?) finale yesterday I´m in the right mood. A score I didn´t pay much attention to when it was released but has incredibly grown on me through the years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed; T3 is such a marvellous score, it really deserves more attention than what it's already getting.

n.p. JOCELYN POOK - The Merchant of Venice

Oh it's been so long since i last enjoyed this lush, rich and captivating musical journey to eras past and colors long forgotten. Classy and pure quality.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fool's Gold - George Fenton

Hmm, it's good fun, but not quite on the level of Fenton's last album (to say the least!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Lol, you really expected it to be the Planet Earth of the Matthew McConaughey-movies? "Good fun" should be enough for Fool's Gold tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't expect it to be Planet Earth, but it's a bit more lightweight than I had hoped. Parts of it are terrific... but it does seem to drag in several places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KLAUS BADELT - Equilibrium

Top work sadly so few know about.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    KLAUS BADELT - Equilibrium

Top work sadly so few know about.

I know the hate it inspires in me. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I won't mention the obvious 'cause it's been really long since i last played this, one of my dearest, closest to me scores ever and one of my initial big loves in film music. A truly heartwarming and nostalgic musical gem, JAMES NEWTON HOWARD's SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS.
  3. Timmer wrote

An excellent score and my favourite of the composer ( not that I have much by him ), this is very much in the vein of Goldsmith's Chinatown and every bit as listenable.

I really like Mulholland Falls also, and much prefer this CD over Goldsmith's Chinatown.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Trevor Jones @ Madrid

Just listening to the LAST OF THE MOHICANS suite, which sadly elides the climactic 'The Promontory' cue. Re-recordings of 'Fort Battle' always seem to struggle with getting the percussion right, and this performance is no exception. On balance, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra re-recording is the better one, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN DEBNEY - Dragonfly

Together with PASSION OF THE CHRIST, my 2 favorite Debney scores, ever. So much melody, so much pathos, emotional tension and thematic beauty. A truly underrated gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008 edited
    ^I´d add "Cutthroat Island" and that would be my Debney top 3 (considering The Passion Symphony as an extension of the score and his best work to date IMO).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    2 favorite Debney scores, ever.

Ever!? wink

NP: The Golden Compass - Desplat

"Golden" is the operative word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, ever
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What is your favourite Atli Orvarsson score ever? kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I really like Mulholland Falls also, and much prefer this CD over Goldsmith's Chinatown.

Good to see someone else rating this score so highly, in fact I played it again earlier today.

A 5 / 5 from me! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams

No comment needed! cool