• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016
    NP: HALT AND CATCH FIRE (Paul Haslinger)

Brilliant! More of this, Paul, and less of the droney horror.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHALERIDER (Lisa Gerrard)

Beautiful. Johan Söderqvist meets Vangelis.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM - James Newton Howard.

Watertower records debuted the full album on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … iBAHyz19fD
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OBLIVION (M83)

Not all tracks are equally strong, but the ones who are, are REALLY good.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Arizona Dream (1993) - Goran Bregovic; Iggy Pop

Anarchic, melodic, wildly creative. I love film and score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Ian Fleming's James Bond 007

NP: The Living Daylights (1998) - John Barry

Fabulous!

James Bond will return.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Fantastic Beasts - James Newton Howard

My worries that JNH would be asked to indulge his inner-RC side have been relaxed but as much as I enjoy this composer in his native mode, this score is all over the place (and much too long). Many lovely moments though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Ian Fleming's James Bond 007

Fabulous!

It is! It was also released in 1987 or were you talking about the expanded Ryko release?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Ian Fleming's James Bond 007

Fabulous!

It is! It was also released in 1987 or were you talking about the expanded Ryko release?

Oh yes, I got something mixed up here. wink
  5. Southall wrote
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert GW

There's a kind of "so bad it's good" quality to this. The second half, with the power anthems suddenly appearing from nowhere, bearing absolutely no relation to the first half, is like a parody, a joke, but despite seeming so comically inappropriate it's got real entertainment value. Whatever John Debney wrote must have been the worst music of his career to be dumped for this, but the amusement value is as strong as in any recent soundtrack album and that means I really rather enjoy it.

The tonal shifts make a hell a lot more sense in context of the film. I saw the film before hearing the score on it's own but otherwise I imagine I would have been similarly baffled.

It's a film that goes from having literally nothing but dialogue, literally not even a single gunshot, for half the movie, to suddenly having a battlefleet doing a massive bombardment of Okinawa at full blast. It's also a film that somehow manages to go from hell-in-heaven to heaven-in-hell within a few minute stretch. Those two moments mark the transition between styles that are reflected in the score. Definitely a clear three-act film and Gibson left zero room for transition. At least no room that he wanted scored.

As for the Newman-y part, there was a clear danger of straying into Pearl Harbor levels of saccharine and I'm glad some restraint was exercised even if it ended up in less crowd-pleasing sweeping melodies. The film was better for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE CINÉMA DE... (Michel Legrand)

The fantastic 4CD longbox set. cool
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Doctor Strange Giacchino

Been listening to this a lot the last few days, probably my favourite Giacchino score in the last few years. If 'Rogue One' is as good as this I'll be very happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Chambers wrote
    Doctor Strange Giacchino

Been listening to this a lot the last few days, probably my favourite Giacchino score in the last few years. If 'Rogue One' is as good as this I'll be very happy.

I'll be surprised if it turns out as good as Doctor Strange. Giacchino's score turned out so better than I was expecting -- and I already had high hopes. It's pretty quickly become my favourite Marvel score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fantastic Beasts JNH

Sometimes bland; frequently grand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2016
    NP: WINNIE MANDELA (Laurent Eyquem)

A fine score, but in retrospect, I don't quite understand why I let this and COPPERHEAD share my 1st place of my 2013 best scores of the year programme. It's not THAT good. Oh well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2016
    Pan John Powell

My second favourite Powell score. Sans a few tracks, it's 58 mins of pure highlights.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2016
    Bloody cold here.

NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Ahhhh! Much better. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: The Martian (2015) - Harry Gregson-Williams

Somehow this score flew under my radar despite me having seen the film and it being a scifi score, also by HGW whom I really like.
    A fine score all around.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fantastic Beasts JNH

Pretty pretty pretty good.
  8. It Follows - Disasterpeace

The most successful element of the film. It's not giving me as much love as a standalone experience, which isn't totally surprising. The throbbing in "Old Maid" does bring back nice memories of Clint Mansell's score to Pi.
  9. Evil Dead - Roque Banos

That's more like it: Three-dimensional orchestral horror music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    It Follows - Disasterpeace

The most successful element of the film. It's not giving me as much love as a standalone experience, which isn't totally surprising. The throbbing in "Old Maid" does bring back nice memories of Clint Mansell's score to Pi.

Yeah, it's better in context than on album. But I like the Carpenterisms nonetheless. I thought the film was a masterpiece -- one of the best movies of the whole year.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. First a demo cue, very detailed demo cue, of the opening cue from "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", then the film version (a minute and-a-half longer). Interesting to hear the differences Jones made.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016 edited
    NP: PLANET EARTH II (Hans Zimmer's minions)

Unfortunately, a lot of this wanders around in rather aimless 'trailer' territory. Big, muscular chord there, a little bit of awe and wonder there -- but with very little to latch on to. And the 2CD album is of course much too long. But some fine individual moments; I'm confident this would work much better in a neat, 50-minute programme. Guess it's another one added to my 'to make playlist' list.

I wish Zimmer had done this all on his own.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Try and break it down into the individual (6) episodes. It looks like that they may be ordered chronologically.

And, as far as it all being done by Zimmer, that's the last thing I would want! So far, I think that the music fits well with previous BBC natural history documentaries.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016
    After getting 2/3rds through, my patience evaporated. So I deleted it. I may have to download it again at some point, though -- once I have the stamina to do playlists. I'm fairly confident a solo Zimmer score would be 10 times better, and -- more importantly -- have a more pronounced voice of its own. This just comes across as an unsatisfying mix of standard RC tropes and wannabe-Fentonisms. Caught hopelessly inbetween.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016
    NP : NOCTURNAL ANIMALS - Abel Korzeniowski

Gorgeous. probably my favourite score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NOCTURNAL ANIMALS - Abel Korzeniowski

Gorgeous. probably my favourite score of the year.

To recap what I said over at FSM: After having heard through the promo once, I must say I feel rather the opposite as you. Probably my least favourite Korzeniowski so far, as far as albums are concerned. Don't get me wrong, there are good cues here, but some of the insistant minimalism becomes a bit too much for me. It passes the limit into 'grating'. Maybe it will be better in the movie itself.
    I am extremely serious.