• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (James Horner)

I think I prefer this over Elfman's scores (which is saying much, given my love of Elfman), but what kind of feedback did it get from us film music fans and critics? I can't remember.

Now playing. My feedback is overwhelming. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Gods of Egypt - Marco Beltrami

I've had it for a week or so. It's EXACTLY what I expected it to be. A mix between Goldsmith and Silvestri's MUMMY scores with nods to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA all meshed together with Beltrami's distinct voice. it's melodic, exciting, old fashioned, romantic, adventurous. This might very well be one of the best scores Beltrami has produced! Beautifully recorded by John Kurlander! Another candid for great score, shit film!

-Erik-

I have high expectations for this as a long-time Beltrami fan. It sounds quite exciting from your descriptions too (yes, I do enjoy an old-fashioned, classical score now and then).

OK, I've had a listen. Some individual tracks that were OK, but mostly this did absolutely nothing for me. Noisy and grating, with tons of directionless bombast. Disappointed. Here's hoping Beltrami gets to do something a bit more lowkey next.

On a second listening, and I think maybe I could make a decent playlist by removing many of the action cues etc. Still, it's not my cuppa tea.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2016
    Thor wrote
    He used to be such an original voice, always adding a sense of melody and 'deliciousness' in the orchestration, even in genre films (I don't like horror scores, but I did enjoy most of his!).

That's all there... you're just choosing not to hear it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, that's one way to put it. If I can't hear it, I can't hear -- whether I choose to or not. There's little "Beltrami" here, the way I knew him. But a handful of nice tracks in and of themselves.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Best of Ennio Morricone (1984)

A classic LP compilation from yesteryear that I bought on CD sometime in the 90s. Great playlist!

Volker
  3. NP: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973) - Bob Dylan

Still one of my favourites.
  4. NP: The Italian Western of Luis Bacalov (1996)

On goes my journey through the west ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Italian Western of Luis Bacalov (1996)

On goes my journey through the west ...

Good stuff!
    While Bacalov certainly also taps into the Morricone-defined "spaghetti western" (a phrase he hates, incidentally!), I think his work still has a very distinctive voice. Django is one of my very favourite western scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

This is starting to turn into an addiction...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens - JW

First time in a few weeks. So, so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016
    NP: Operation Dumbo Drop - David Newman

It's been far too long since I've spun this hidden gem. Sensational!

-Erik-
  6. NP: Woodlawn - Paul Mills

This is a score that taps into the rousing heroics type of music (with blaring brass and pounding percussion) I've heard for a lot of NFL Films. Hans Zimmer influences abound too. Mixed in with this are more low-key moments.

It has its highs and lows in terms of interest but, as a whole, it's not that engaging on album. It reminds me of the sort of trailer albums you get where there's track after track but there's little connecting them emotionally.

But, as a positive, the opening 9-minute "Opening and The Run" (plus several others) would make a "best cue" list.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Operation Dumbo Drop - David Newman

It's been far too long since I've spun this hidden gem. Sensational!

-Erik-

it's time they re release this in expanded format. Stealing the Parachute is bloody brilliant punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (James Horner)

I think I prefer this over Elfman's scores (which is saying much, given my love of Elfman), but what kind of feedback did it get from us film music fans and critics? I can't remember.

Now playing. My feedback is overwhelming. smile

Horner's is the best Spidey score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016 edited
    NP: MEMPHIS BELLE (George Fenton)

I've been on another Fenton binge lately. Something about my interview with him last year re-ignited my interest for him (always been a fan). The period music is fine, but the real highlight is the orchestral material, references to "Danny Boy" and "Amazing Grace" and all.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Humanoids from the Deep + Wolfen

Crazy how similar both main titles are. Almost note for note similar. Not crazy when you consider both are from Horner, just 1 year apart. But still, they share the same basic melody, which is inspired by Jerry's Alien anyway. But during the rest of the score Wolfen is the better of the two, showing his trademark sound. A tad more interesting and robust, better suspense cues, more entertaining as a whole.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. The Hateful Eight

Yay for Ennio's win ! Everytime I hear this I like it a bit more. That long 'Neve' cue is deliciously hypnotic. And never boring... I love music like that. I can't stand the dialogue and songs in this, they break up the flow of the score. They don't bother me in something like Kill Bill, which is a song compilation, but here? No, that was a mistake on Tarantino's part. It should've been score only. Still I like the 50 minutes of dark, agressive score we have, and even if the man didn't necessarily deserve the win for this one, he sure as hell deserved it for 'The Ecstasy of Gold' alone, and the many other brilliant tunes he has written.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. I managed to make a Spotify playlist with the score alone. Though I actually left the Lincoln Letter with dialogue in my playlist, as it also features the score cue.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Now playing it too. In it's own way this is a masterful score. I immersed myself in Morricone's western scores from yesteryear lately and found that TH8 is not that different after all. Many of the aspects that define this score are present in these older scores already, these dissonant, hypnotic cues. I am very pleased with this score winning the Oscar.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    In it's own way this is a masterful score.

As opposed to another way?
  12. I meant to say that Morricone's score, with its special styling, the dissonance, the repetitive structure, the vocals that seem tribal in nature ... this is all very different from the lush and melodic score that Williams wrote for SW 7. They are both masterful in their respective ways.
    This sprang to my mind because those to legendary composers met in LA as nominees of the Academy Award. Also because I read some quite dismissive commentary concerning Morricone in general and his score for TH8 in particular. Not here, mind you, but elsewhere. Listening to the score again satisfied me that those rants have no basis at all.
  13. NP: Titus - Elliot Goldenthal

Love it.

Interesting to see the "Making of" documentary for the film. Goldenthal had a chance to draw parallels with the use of music from different periods in both Titus and Interview With The Vampire.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    That long 'Neve' cue is deliciously hypnotic. And never boring...

I agree with words 1-5 and 7 of this sentence, but not 6 or 8-11.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

One of 2015's many highlights. I pray to the score gods Kraemer becomes the next in-house composer for the Mission Impossible films. Or better yet, every Tom Cruise film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

One of 2015's many highlights. I pray to the score gods Kraemer becomes the next in-house composer for the Mission Impossible films. Or better yet, every Tom Cruise film.

Nah. I rather hope he does more electronica-style scores like DAWN PATROL.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thankfully, despite your name, you are not a score god.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I'm on board with that!

-Erik-
  15. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    That long 'Neve' cue is deliciously hypnotic. And never boring...

I agree with words 1-5 and 7 of this sentence, but not 6 or 8-11.

dizzy

Is this like a word puzzle?