• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016
    Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    They found Bear, who can do even MORE films and series in a FRACTION of the time it takes Tyler.

And his output is slightly a bit meh lately isn't it ?

Yes and no. I REALLY liked his OUTLANDER album last year. But except for the BASIC INSTINCT-y (sound wise) segments of 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE, that didn't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I agree with Thor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Steven wrote
    Gods of Egypt Marco Beltrami

If a score manages to top this one in 2016, I will be very suprised.

I certainly hope it does! Gods of Egypt is very entertaining once it gets past its slow start, but that would be a bit of a low bar for the very best of the year.
  2. Demetris wrote
    No no, not Tyler himself. I didn't put it out correctly. Studios on Tyler. He doesn't get that often assigned anymore. Not as 5 years ago for instance, it's my impression but i might be wrong.

Tyler still does 3-4 projects a year and actually managed to break out of the action film mold (the mold that made me so against his style at the time, because everything almost sounded same-ish, though not quite reaching the low point of the fourth Fast and Furious), now he's doing some more diverse stuff. Have you heard Truth? I think it's one of his best.

And he got in a conflict (from what I heard close to contractual breach on his side) with Marvel, therefore they don't really want him there anymore.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    No no, not Tyler himself. I didn't put it out correctly. Studios on Tyler. He doesn't get that often assigned anymore. Not as 5 years ago for instance, it's my impression but i might be wrong.

Tyler still does 3-4 projects a year and actually managed to break out of the action film mold (the mold that made me so against his style at the time, because everything almost sounded same-ish, though not quite reaching the low point of the fourth Fast and Furious), now he's doing some more diverse stuff. Have you heard Truth? I think it's one of his best.

And he got in a conflict (from what I heard close to contractual breach on his side) with Marvel, therefore they don't really want him there anymore.

I haven't (Truth) but some couple of new stuff i heard from him lately weren't really orchestral, i heard a lot of synths and samples and didn't like it. Can't remember the titles.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for what you say about Marvel, thanks, didn't know that bit. Makes sense now.
  3. From what I heard, Tyler was on an exclusive contract for the Avengers. When it came to rescore some of the film, he was either wrapping up or actually even recording the last Fast and Furious 7 instalment, so they had to bring in Elfman to finish the score. You can imagine Marvel wasn't all too happy.
  4. Oh, and while Expendables 3 is quite underwhelming (I REALLY like the second score though) to say the least, I think Into the Storm is really, really cool. One of his best themes, too, I would say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, and while Expendables 3 is quite underwhelming (I REALLY like the second score though) to say the least, I think Into the Storm is really, really cool. One of his best themes, too, I would say.

Score and film, flew way under the radar. Also FF7 feels like leftovers or electronic make-overs from fast five. Disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gods of Egypt Marco Beltrami

If a score manages to top this one in 2016, I will be very suprised.

I certainly hope it does! Gods of Egypt is very entertaining once it gets past its slow start, but that would be a bit of a low bar for the very best of the year.

Low bar? lol

Gods of Egypt is spectacular! It and Tale of a Lake are going to be hard to beat!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Gods of Egypt is very very good but it's the sort of thing that, in a really strong year like the last couple, usually ends up somewhere around fifth or sixth for me. It's Top 10, maybe even Top 5-worthy but not "score of the year" material IMO, so if that were to really be the highest that 2016 scores ever reach, then yes, that would indeed be disappointing to me. Hope that makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016 edited
    HALO 3 - Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori

Still one of my favorite videogame soundtracks. Because it has themes, and memorable ones too. It's a clash of orchestral and electronics, and some vocal goodness thrown in for good measure.

While I listen to these 2 discs of the sounds of Halo, I (Master Chief) imagine being on a virtual battlefield with my assault rifle in hand and killing one no-good terrorist after another, in retaliation of what has transpired in my country.

I.S. sucks, Halo rules !!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SECONDS (Jerry Goldsmith)

I like the use of the classical fugue, in contrast with the modern dissonance. Gives it almost a Jerry Fielding feel.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AIR FORCE ONE (Jerry Goldsmith)

I love 90s bombast! This is the original release (I'm taking for granted there's been an expansion, even if I have no idea).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Actually no, I don't believe there has been. One of the last remaining great "oversights", I'd say. I hope one appears soon, if only so that the Joel McNeely additional material sees the light of day (it's quite strong). Although I imagine that (rights etc.) is part of the reason why it hasn't, yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Actually no, I don't believe there has been. One of the last remaining great "oversights", I'd say. I hope one appears soon, if only so that the Joel McNeely additional material sees the light of day (it's quite strong). Although I imagine that (rights etc.) is part of the reason why it hasn't, yet.

Might I refer you to a playlist from the 2 disc version. Great stuff.
  7. Well I know there's that kind of expansion. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then... what are you complaining about? Official or not, the music is the same. Go download it if you haven't already, and use that playlist. Voilà.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016
    NP: The Little Prince - Hans Zimmer and Richard Harvey

What a delightful score. Quirky, wondrous, beautiful; highlighted by the heartwarming, exciting and emotional "Escape" cue!

Great discovery!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Nightmare on Elm St 2 - Christopher Young

Even early in his career Young was amongst the finest composers of music for genre films. This is first rate - creepy, inventive and with some interesting idea or another being explored in nearly every cue.
  8. Erik Woods wrote

What a delightful score. Quirky, wondrous, beautiful; highlighted by the heartwarming, exciting and emotional "Escape" cue!

Great discovery!

-Erik-

A nice score indeed, but "Escape" was very clearly temped with Zimmer's piece he wrote for the Oscars a few years ago...given your usual temp allergies I can only assume you haven't heard that one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Yeah, just found out that disappointing bit of info a few minutes ago. Jesus H. Fucking Christ!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Great discovery!

-Erik-

Loved it, and the movie is very touching. Almost cried when watching at some points. Music aided to that too. Told you i was getting soft wink
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Coneheads - David Newman

Inspired use of Herrmann's Day the Earth Stood Still motif, plus Newman incorporates an equally ingenious one of his own. Great little score.
  9. Steven wrote
    Then... what are you complaining about? Official or not, the music is the same.

It could be the fact that that's piracy?..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL - Batman Vs Superman: dawn of Justice

How can you not like "Beautiful Lie" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quite easily, I find.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL - Batman Vs Superman: dawn of Justice

How can you not like "Beautiful Lie" ?

Just one out of several fine, fine tracks on this album. I don't know what kind of pot people are smoking to be so dismissive of the WHOLE thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Too much GOOD stuff flying about to waste our time sifting to maybe find a zirconia in a sea of sharp, broken glass. smile
  10. John Chambers wrote
    Steven wrote
    Then... what are you complaining about? Official or not, the music is the same.

It could be the fact that that's piracy?..

C'mon where else would we fans get those precious additional cues of our beloved scores, if not for these unofficial leaks.

Some of the more impressive ones of recent times: Backdraft, Sphere, Batman & Robin (as Elliot himself would've released it). cool

Until it's released by one of the majors (LLL, Intrada, Varèse), I see no problem 'obtaining' those from the various sources on the net.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.