• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Well, actually I'm not wrong, the movie has been released like that in many countries.

Yes, and in China Guardians of the Galaxy is 'Interstellar Different Commandos'.

biggrin

I'll see if I can find James Bond titles, they're silly too.

Some of them are already a bit silly in english. smile

They at least have the virtue of being the correct titles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016
    http://www.universalexports.net/00Titles.shtml

My favourite is 'James Bond Chases Doctor No'
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad Rozsa

This new release from Intrada is absolutely terrific, I would love a full rerecording some day but if that never happens I'll always be happy to have this release.
  2. NP: Gods of Egypt (2016) - Marco Beltrami

This score legitimately inspires high hopes for Ben-Hur.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Gods of Egypt (2016) - Marco Beltrami

This score legitimately inspires high hopes for Ben-Hur.

smile Volker

I have high hopes for a Beltrami BEN-HUR too, but it's not necessarily because of this. Incidentally, the film has been totally lambasted by Norwegian critics. I haven't seen it yet, but I might do so for curiousity's sake. Strange to think I was such a big fan of Proyas once upon a time....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

007 Dies Twice. lol

Fucking well done, Japan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    GREMLINS 2 : THE NEW BATCH

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

This is a necessary expansion for every Goldsmith fan because it contains at least twice the fun that the 1990 album had. A prime example how much of a creative genius the man really was.

Get this disc before all 3000 copies are gone!

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

I emphasized this post because I would hate someone to not see it and miss out on this most excellent release. 200 % fun guaranteed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote

Happy to report that usually (with a few exceptions) the Polish translations of Bond titles are pretty good. Yes, Die Another Day is the one mentioned, but I'd like to point out these:

From Russia with Love - From Moscow with Love/Greetings from Moscow;
    Thunderball - Operation Thunder
    The Living Daylights - In the Face of Death

Steven is right on the money with the Japanese title for You Only Live Twice, but my other favorite is the Finnish title for For Your Eyes Only:

Roger Moore in VERY CONFIDENTIAL.

That sold many tickets for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Oh, well, German titles of English language films ... slant

- Finding Neverland: When Dreams Learn to Fly
    - Alien: Alien The terrifying Thing From Another World
    - Evil Dead: Dance of the Devils
    - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Two (sic) Glorious Scoundrels
    - Live Free or Die Hard: Die Slowly
    - About a Boy: The Day of the Dead Duck
    - Logan's Run: Flight to the 23rd Century
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surely languages are not so divided as to translate titles so badly? Why does this happen I wonder? uhm
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    That and "Burning Homestead" playing when Rey force-grabs Luke's lightsaber.

Really? I hated that! The last time I can remember being so violently jarred out of the film by a musical choice is when the Nazgul theme appeared in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. At least this one wasn't thematically inappropriate, but still - I found the obvious needledrop to be distracting in the extreme.

Didn't bother me. Abrams and Williams could've done much, much worse. And in the prequels Williams and Lucas did do worse. See Howard Shore's LOTR seduction theme in Revenge of the Sith. smile

Signs - James Newton Howard

Revisiting JNH scores from the early 2000s that I haven't listened to in ages. Love the gremliny violin.
  6. Sometimes English titles don't easily translate into German. One reason is that German needs more words to express the same thing. Take any multi language manual: The German text will be about one third longer than the English counterpart.
    That does not excuse coming up with dump titles that sometimes downright contradict what the film is about. In many cases I would wish for the original Title to be used, but then the average German's English isn't very good.
  7. J. Flaherty wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    That and "Burning Homestead" playing when Rey force-grabs Luke's lightsaber.

Really? I hated that! The last time I can remember being so violently jarred out of the film by a musical choice is when the Nazgul theme appeared in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. At least this one wasn't thematically inappropriate, but still - I found the obvious needledrop to be distracting in the extreme.

Didn't bother me. Abrams and Williams could've done much, much worse. And in the prequels Williams and Lucas did do worse.

Nope.

See Howard Shore's LOTR seduction theme in Revenge of the Sith. smile

I always assumed this happened on purpose and was meant as a nod toward the other franchise and from one composer to the other. After all LoR has been a main inspiration for Star Wars. And when the theme is hinted at to describe the lure of evil, the heritage is particularly evident. I love that cue.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I always assumed this happened on purpose and was meant as a nod toward the other franchise and from one composer to the other.

In Nerdsville, yes. But in reality, this rarely happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Star Trek Episode II: The Wrath of The Khan James Horner

Cuts through awful pop music like a samurai sword.
  8. What Horner does with the Spock music toward the end of the score and over the end credits is some of my favorite work of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's nothing short of brilliant. Essentially three themes (barring the original Trek theme), two of which make up the main narrative of the music. It's a simple idea to play the bad guy's theme when the bad guy is on screen doing bad things (and vice versa) but takes great skill to do what Horner did with that relatively simple idea. It's a lesson in basic film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hunting The Wolves & Return to the Wild James Horner

I rarely listen to the album, but this edited version of the two tracks gets a lot of listens. An incredible piece (or pieces) of music to go out on. The highlight is the relatively brief action moment in Hunting The Wolves. That's action scoring that very few composers could achieve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    By coincidence, I'm listening to the whole album (which to be honest is the only way I can imagine ever listening to this exceptional score - amazed you're not more enthusiastic).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me too, to be honest. I just haven't given it the chance it deserves.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016
    Are you talking about wolf on top of a stick score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Husky Pole? Yes. The very one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm still stuck in limbo at the moment but I need to hear it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Does this limbo involve the requirement of a fry up come the morning? The only known cure for limbo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Does this limbo involve the requirement of a fry up come the morning? The only known cure for limbo.

YES! English of course lick

In reality I'm 'couch surfing' as I'm technically homeless, in the process of buying my own flat but everything is A-Okay, I have the best of friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    WOLF TOTEM is not a "wow" score like many other Horners are, but it was great nonetheless -- easily in the Top 10 of last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016 edited
    Wolf Totem is also one I initially liked, but on subsequent listens left me a bit uninterested except for 3-4 tracks.

Of his final works I'd rather hear the longer but much more satisfying 'For Greater Glory'.

J. Flaherty wrote
    What Horner does with the Spock music toward the end of the score and over the end credits is some of my favorite work of his.

I've always been a big fan of ST III, but II is excellent of course.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Same here, ST III only just edges it for me.
  9. CLEOPATRA - Trevor Jones

Sorely missed this man's voice is. He has written some great scores and I consider this one of them.

Please come back, Mr. Jones. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    CLEOPATRA JONES?
    I am extremely serious.