• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Gods of Egypt (2016) - Marco Beltrami

This score legitimately inspires high hopes for Ben-Hur.

smile Volker

I have high hopes for a Beltrami BEN-HUR too, but it's not necessarily because of this. Incidentally, the film has been totally lambasted by Norwegian critics. I haven't seen it yet, but I might do so for curiousity's sake. Strange to think I was such a big fan of Proyas once upon a time....

The film (Gods of Egypt) is trashed everywhere. Must be huge crap.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    CLEOPATRA - Trevor Jones

Sorely missed this man's voice is. He has written some great scores and I consider this one of them.

Please come back, Mr. Jones. sad

Love his style too. I think he has retired? or even unofficially?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wolf Totem is also one I initially liked, but on subsequent listens left me a bit uninterested except for 3-4 tracks.

Of his final works I'd rather hear the longer but much more satisfying 'For Greater Glory'.

J. Flaherty wrote
    What Horner does with the Spock music toward the end of the score and over the end credits is some of my favorite work of his.

I've always been a big fan of ST III, but II is excellent of course.

Love those 2 themes. SO strong and sentimental, some of the best he's written; trademarked Horner big and passionate. Film music really misses him.
  1. Thor wrote
    CLEOPATRA JONES?

That time of the week again? tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    CLEOPATRA - Trevor Jones

Sorely missed this man's voice is. He has written some great scores and I consider this one of them.

I think he has left Hollywood behind him, I read on IMDB he returned to live in South-Africe, his native country. And his output hasn't been much the last 10 years.

Anyway, I'd happily welcome him back in replacement of some lesser hotshot composers.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Gods of Egypt (2016) - Marco Beltrami

This score legitimately inspires high hopes for Ben-Hur.

smile Volker

I have high hopes for a Beltrami BEN-HUR too, but it's not necessarily because of this. Incidentally, the film has been totally lambasted by Norwegian critics. I haven't seen it yet, but I might do so for curiousity's sake. Strange to think I was such a big fan of Proyas once upon a time....

The film (Gods of Egypt) is trashed everywhere. Must be huge crap.

There's a magazine in our country that gives it a favorable review, and most of the time the reviewer has a keen eye on the quality of film. He even went as far as saying it's extremely entertaining and fun.

So it could turn out to be a bit like Independence Day or Godzilla (enjoyed by me, hated by almost everyone else). smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Once Around - James Horner

Hmm. First track of score - "The Apology" - first few bars - there's the theme from Interstellar. Which presumably means Horner nicked it from something classical and Zimmer did the same (it is hard to imagine that Zimmer would be familiar with Once Around!)
  4. He MIGHT be familiar with Once Around, but it may still be a classical reference as both composers love(d) their classical music smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016
    It may well be Benjamin Britten. Sounds a bit like him and Horner took from him frequently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Southall wrote
    This is the Horner piece I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqaIDmePsq8

The opening phrase sounds very close to the Catalani aria "Ebben?... Ne andro lontana." It's in the same key too (E-major).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1mvuPk47Xg
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    CLEOPATRA - Trevor Jones

I think he has left Hollywood behind him, I read on IMDB he returned to live in South-Africe, his native country. And his output hasn't been much the last 10 years.

Anyway, I'd happily welcome him back in replacement of some lesser hotshot composers.

But we are OK now, we have Junkie XL
  5. Demetris wrote

But we are OK now, we have Junkie XL

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit
    vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit
    vomit
    vomit
    vomit
    vomit vomit vomit
    vomit vomit vomit
    vomit
    vomit
    vomit
    vomit
    vomit
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016 edited
    NP: I Am Sam - John Powell

It would be nice to hear John Powell do another, smaller, experimental score of this sort.

Quite an underrated score when it first came out. Admittedly, I've only listened to this score once (minus the opening cue, which according to iTunes I've heard 5 times) I really love the carefree, relaxing, folksy tone of the score. It's nice to look back at Powell's career before animated dragons and dinosaurs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Perhaps with all that's happened to him recently he may channel his feelings towards these more intimate scores?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Miscounduct - Federico Jusid

Disappointing. Exactly what happens to these Spanish composers on the plane over to Los Angeles? Iglesias, Velazquez, now Jusid - distinctive and creative at home, generic in Hollywood.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2016
    The film should be called Conformity. I haven't heard this score but I'll take your word for it as I'm familiar with your other examples of which I'd add Javier Navarette.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

It would be nice to hear John Powell do another, smaller, experimental score of this sort.

Quite an underrated score when it first came out.

Yeah, but not sure why. To me it's one thing of my favourite Powell works tgat I revisit often.
    Exactly like you say: there's a lovely sense of lightness in it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. I've never found much to cling on to in that score. In fact, I don't actually hear much of Powell's voice in it at all. It's a pleasant listen, but one of the Powell scores I return to the least.
  8. NP: Eddie the Eagle (2016) - Matthew Margeson

So I bought this too. Initially I thought this was a digital release but eventually discovered the CD which I had shipped over from England.
    Pure 80s nostalgia, mostly a Moroder pastiche, but a very well done one. I also dig the quieter piano cues.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Quite an underrated score when it first came out. Admittedly, I've only listened to this score once (minus the opening cue, which according to iTunes I've heard 5 times) I really love the carefree, relaxing, folksy tone of the score. It's nice to look back at Powell's career before animated dragons and dinosaurs.

-Erik-

Gigli
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've never found much to cling on to in that score. In fact, I don't actually hear much of Powell's voice in it at all. It's a pleasant listen, but one of the Powell scores I return to the least.

That's what I love about it. It's so radically different than anything Powell has done before or since.

A really, really good score

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2016 edited
    Southall wrote
    Miscounduct - Federico Jusid

Disappointing. Exactly what happens to these Spanish composers on the plane over to Los Angeles? Iglesias, Velazquez, now Jusid - distinctive and creative at home, generic in Hollywood.

Yes. They start off symphonic and thematic, and end up as cheap Zimmer substitutes. Gotta pay the bills, right? You can add Navarette and Lucas Vidal to the list as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bullet - Lalo Schifrin

This album plays more like a very good funk-jazz concept album riffing off one major theme.
    Excellent stuff.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Bullet - Lalo Schifrin

This album plays more like a very good funk-jazz concept album riffing off one major theme.
    Excellent stuff.

Brilliant score and album.

Never get anything like this again unless it's retro.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've never found much to cling on to in that score. In fact, I don't actually hear much of Powell's voice in it at all. It's a pleasant listen, but one of the Powell scores I return to the least.

That's what I love about it. It's so radically different than anything Powell has done before or since.

-Erik-

Hmm, but you could say the same of United 93 and Stop-Loss (both superior scores), and I hear Powell loud and clear on those two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

-Erik-

Hmm, but you could say the same of United 93 and Stop-Loss (both superior scores), and I hear Powell loud and clear on those two.

Indeed but they are dramatic scores. I am sam is light. Could be a breezy Howard Shore or Thomas Newman score. Very delightful smile I think Powell injects his usual style easier in dramatic and / or animated / epic music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

The measure of all things.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

-Erik-

I am Sam, Two Weeks Notice, Gigli and P.S. I Love You are pure john powell. even the emotional guitar parts in all his others scores have the same style as the 4 mentioned. the themes and melodies are typical john powell. when you hear the guitar parts in D-Tox or Shrek, Robots or Knight and Day etc....have the same kind of felling as his romantic/light drama scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    This is the Horner piece I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqaIDmePsq8

I'm struggling to hear Interstellar. uhm