• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Eddie the Eagle

The novelty wears off long before the end of the album, but it's good fun for a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Hmm.

Good talk! Same time next week?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hmm.

Good talk! Same time next week?

If we're both still around. I'll be wearing a big hat though so I won't be able to hear you if you're directly above me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    This is the Horner piece I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqaIDmePsq8

I'm struggling to hear Interstellar. uhm

Me too. I can hear a bit of Land Before Time, does that count?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You left Bristol so it's possible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James' is right. Horner's Land Before Time and Once Around sound eerily similar to Zimmer's Interstellar theme!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, Horner and Zimmer were inspired by Béla Bartók's The Wooden Prince

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

I haven't played this score since 2010 but once the first notes of "Never An Absolution" streamed through my speakers all of those wonderful feelings of when I first heard the score in 1997 came back instantly! One of my all time favourite Horner scores!

Film score perfection!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, Horner and Zimmer were inspired by Béla Bartók's The Wooden Prince

-Erik-

Bingo! Thank you.
  1. Erik Woods wrote

I haven't played this score since 2010 but once the first notes of "Never An Absolution" streamed through my speakers all of those wonderful feelings of when I first heard the score in 1997 came back instantly! One of my all time favourite Horner scores!

Film score perfection!

-Erik-

Really? I HATE the opening 30 seconds of "Never an Absolution"! That f*cking pipe screaming in your ear. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Film score perfection!

-Erik-

Really? I HATE the opening 30 seconds of "Never an Absolution"! That f*cking pipe screaming in your ear. crazy

You're too young to have 'been there' at the time, Edmund.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's not even that I mind pipes - it's just that particular performance seems so shrill and ear-piercing to me. Maybe something about how it's mixed? It seems to be shoved up really close to the mic compared to something like Braveheart.
  3. Erik Woods wrote

Film score perfection!

-Erik-

There exists a 5.1 DTS mix of the Titanic score that is absolutely incredible. You need to hear it to know how much of an improvement it is. Especially the action music.

Oh and the score still is in my Horner top 5, loved it from the first spin, and back in the day I spun that one as frequent as you did with TFA. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Eddie the Eagle

The novelty wears off long before the end of the album....

Not for me. It's not really a 'novelty' either, it's just composed in an idiom I could stay in forever. Also, the album is excellently arranged, with beautiful ebb and flow while also building for a climax. This is -- in short -- my favourite score of the year so far!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Film score perfection!

-Erik-

I love the pipes. Love the recording (Shawn Murphy's last for Horner.) I love everything about this score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith

It's times like this that I'm glad religion exists. Feel free to take this out of context! angelic
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith

It's times like this that I'm glad religion exists. Feel free to take this out of context! angelic

It was only when the Varese deluxe edition came out that I truly started playing this score as it deserved, I always knew it was brilliant from a cinema showing on release but the original Varese album ( released years after the film ) had horrendous sound quality, I don't think I'd ever been as disappointed by an album I'd yearned for so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never heard the original album, so it was love at first listen for me! I was relatively young when I first heard this score (I've never seen the film), so I've got nostalgic feeling towards it too. It's great when nostalgia meets something deserving of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I never owned the original album either. My first exposure was the Varese re-issue, so I've never experienced the poor sound. Also, even though it's C&C (I assume), it's not a terrible listen. It isn't expanded by THAT much, anyway. Great score!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Patton - Jerry Goldsmith

This is a unique score. I don't know that I'm aware of another score that blends meditative, rollicking, and technically arresting music as successfully as this one. I always come back to it for the quiet parts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I've never heard the original album, so it was love at first listen for me! I was relatively young when I first heard this score (I've never seen the film), so I've got nostalgic feeling towards it too. It's great when nostalgia meets something deserving of it!

Can you believe I saw the film multiple times ( just so I could hear that score...mostly ). it's rather silly but does have a number of things going for it, great cinematography, very atmospheric and a superbly charming yet sinister turn by a charismatic Sam Neil as Damien Thorn, it wouldn't be a waste of time on some late night TV showing with a few beers.

Thor wrote
    even though it's C&C (I assume), it's not a terrible listen. It isn't expanded by THAT much, anyway.

From memory I don't believe there's any notable music, if any at all, left off the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Film score perfection!

-Erik-

I love the pipes. Love the recording (Shawn Murphy's last for Horner.) I love everything about this score!

-Erik-

Me too. The film only enhances it further.

I absolutely love the Hard To Starboard cue. It's main action motif had been used by Horner a few times before but never as well as here. The feeling of absolute and utter panic is as clear in the music as it is in the scene it accompanies. Those anvils! Love it.
  5. I would go as far as to say that Horner was never better during 1994-2000. It was his golden era.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    I would go as far as to say that Horner was never better during 1994-2000. It was his golden era.

A golden era for many i think. Films and film scores weren't way different in that period, than now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016 edited
    Hunters are for Killing - Jerry Fielding

An outstandingly funky 70s score that nobody's heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016
    Nobody may have heard it but I haven't.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Nobody may have heard it but I haven't.

Nobody
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.