• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Speed 2: Cruise Control | Mark Mancina

For a late 90's action score, this hasn't aged as badly as one might expect. The Speed theme is still brilliant.

That addictive rhythm throughout the whole score... Can't get enough of that type of Mancina. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    NP: MIO MIN MIO (Anders Eljas & Benny Andersson)

Wonderful score (except some of the suspense cues, which are rather grating) for this childhood favourite film of mine.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Hair (1979)

The film cast / soundtrack.

cool Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Speaking of rousing orchestral music:

THE BLUE MAX - TADLOW RECORDING

Sweet mother of jesus ! Now this is how you do a classic score justice. So much more detail is heard, the action cues sound totally badass now, and the themes are even more uplifting and glorious in such crisp sound. If you only want to own one edition of The Blue Max, this is the one to get.

Combined with the excellent bonus material we have here over 2 hours of top-notch Goldsmith, performed to perfection.

This exceeded my expectations. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Saving Mr. Banks Thomas Newman

Some typically gorgeous Newmany music here. One of his easier albums to enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

Superb. Grows on me with age.
  3. It's always been a personal Goldsmith favorite for me. I think, on a personal level, it has actually always been my favorite Goldsmith score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I gave Dances With Wolves another listen just now, and I thoroughly enjoyed it... As in much more than the initial one, when I was simply too tired .

It is, however, one of the most repetitive gorgeous scores ever written. Its beauty is undeniable, but so is its repetitive nature, hearing it in complete form thanks to the good people at Lalaland. The same themes appear over and over and over again, almost to a point where I end up shouting... give us something new, Mr. Barry !!!!! slant

But what am I complaining for? Fuck if I know... rolleyes No seriously, it's almost 2 hours of musical perfection, it's a masterstroke of melodic, emotional, and totally effective scoring, something that's getting out of fashion in Hollywood.

And for that this music deserves my utmost respect. smile
  5. NIGHT CROSSING

Masterful Jerry... terrific score... stunning release (Intrada's latest).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016 edited
    Night Crossing! Yes, I must put that on later today. One of my favorites.
    Love that main title! Capricorn One's not so distant cousin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016
    Night Crossing - JerryG

Since everyone else is. Great score.
  6. I happen to think this is one of his most exciting scores, and I haven't owned a release for the longest time.

What's more, I only discovered Night Crossing a couple of years ago.
  7. NP: Zootopia (Michael Giacchino)

Meh. It's effective yes, but it's so standard too. A lot of Mickey Mousing, typical genre and character music for the specific characters, a theme that isn't that interesting, and music that I do not connect to emotionally at all. Only the final track is quite lovely, but then which end credits of Giacchino aren't wink

Love Actually (Craig Armstrong)

Now this is more like it smile Orchestral flourishing romantic music meets calm intimate piano music. punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Zootopia (Michael Giacchino)

Meh. It's effective yes, but it's so standard too. A lot of Mickey Mousing, typical genre and character music for the specific characters, a theme that isn't that interesting, and music that I do not connect to emotionally at all. Only the final track is quite lovely, but then which end credits of Giacchino aren't wink

That style of score and anything 'Lost-y' and I check out when it comes down to Giacchino!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Love Actually (Craig Armstrong)

Now this is more like it smile Orchestral flourishing romantic music meets calm intimate piano music. punk

It's brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Zootopia (Michael Giacchino)

That style of score and anything 'Lost-y' and I check out when it comes down to Giacchino!

I'm not sure Zootopia counts as Lost-y (boring-y, perhaps). But then that's his style distilled, so I'm not sure how much a fan of Giacchino you can be if you don't like that sound? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's not what I meant... any scores in the style of Zootopia and any scores in the style of Lost are big turn offs for me.

Sorry, English is my first language. shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm with you on the first thing! Zootopia is a huge disappointment after the previous four Giacchino scores. Still, a minor blip. I suspect Star Trek 2 Fast 2 Furious will provide ample opportunity for him to write something spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

His last Great™ score. There's a wealth of material in the recording sessions.
  8. How does Zootopia compare to Inside Out? Because I wasn't a big fan of that one either...
  9. Steven wrote

His last Great™ score. There's a wealth of material in the recording sessions.

For me it's For Greater Glory. I'm aware I may be in the minority on that one. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2016
    The last truly great Horner score was Wolf Totem, or did the rest of you just skip last year?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    How does Zootopia compare to Inside Out? Because I wasn't a big fan of that one either...

It's worse (IMO). Inside Out isn't really my cup of tea either but it at least has some solid themes in it and decent emotional scoring at times. Zootopia is all over the place and never really settles on a tone (which isn't entirely unsurprising for the type of film). The music burns through a lot of different genres and mickey-mouses a lot but is either being actively irritating or actively unmemorable.
  10. NP:
    Firefly (2002) - Greg Edmonson
    Serenity (2005) - David Newman

I dig both scores of that franchise. The blend of science fiction and western vibes is something special.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    The last truly great Horner score was Wolf Totem, or did the rest of you just skip last year?

-Erik-

It doesn't do as much to me as I would've hoped, unlike FGG. In that one I hear more emotion, more action, more old-school Horner. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    FGG.

FGG? uhm
    Sounds like someone coughing up phlegm.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. You don't say. vomit
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    That's not what I meant... any scores in the style of Zootopia and any scores in the style of Lost are big turn offs for me.

Sorry, English is my first language. shame

-Erik-

for once I didn't understand what you meant, sorry Erik wink
    but yeah, I was disappointed by it too.
  14. NP: The Program (Alex Heffes)

That opening track "Gloria", just marvelous punk , the rest is okay too
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (James Horner)

I think I prefer this over Elfman's scores (which is saying much, given my love of Elfman), but what kind of feedback did it get from us film music fans and critics? I can't remember.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Largely positive. A lot of predictable backlash among film critics, though. slant