• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016 edited
    NP: BROADCHURCH (Olafur Arnalds)

I met up (briefly) with Arnalds in Cannes this year; rather shy and introvert, much like his music. This one is predictably haunting and beautiful. This (promo?) album is only 21 minutes, and even I could have managed at least some 10-15 minutes more.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Really? I only heard it in the movie ( sleep ) and while it did seem to call back to a slightly older school of MV scoring, it also struck me as a pretty bland example of that sort of thing. Especially thematically it didn't leave anything like the impression of the other scores you listed there. But maybe I'll give it a shot on album. The track when they were boarding the train did stand out as enjoyable.

As for non-Zimmer RC scores recently, have you heard Jablonsky's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles score? I thought that one was really fun. So is Eddie the Eagle by Margeson, if you have a soft spot for 80s synths or really early Zimmer scores like Days of Thunder.

The themes did take a few listens to sink in but most worthwhile themes generally do, the more instantly memorable ones are usually so because they are of the 'whole orchestra playing the same note simultaneously' variety. Tarzan is most reminiscent of King Arthur, probably because RGW actually did a lot of the writing for that film if you look at the in-depth credits. It really shows.

Jablonsky's TMNT is more instantly entertaining as the main themes are pretty addictive but there doesn't seem to be much depth to it beyond that. As for Eddie the Eagle I posted some worshipful praise of it a few months back but I was thinking of it more of an early spring 2016 score. It's still entirely possible it will end up being my number one favorite theme of 2016. I adore that Days of Thunder style and was absolutely delighted to hear it randomly come back after all these years.
  2. NP: The Kaiser's Last Kiss - Ilan Eshkeri

I expected another score along the same vein as The Young Victoria. That is exactly what I received. This is a good thing. Anyone who found Eshkeri's other recent effort Swallows and Amazons to be promising but repetitive should check this out, it's a lot more mature and thoughtful. It's actually very similar to a Desplat score, except all the instruments are actually recorded at the same time...a novel concept!
  3. "Clan of the Cave Bear" (rejected demos)
    By: John Scott

For whatever reason, when Silvestri's score got a deluxe edition, Scott's efforts were not included.

The demos are done with synths, but I don't know if that's how Scott was going to do the score or if that's just demo form.

The first cue opens with a low rumbling synth line, with that wind-y sounding synth instrument that I don't know the name of but has been heard in the "Miami vice" series as well as the Art of Noise work Moments of Love. It's slow and moody and at times vaguely feels Conan like to me during it's 3:21 length.

The next cue has an etheral synth woodwinds approximating a flute, playing solo before it's joined sparingly by some other synth sounds.

The third cue features a synth choir repraising the theme from the first cue.

The fourth cue opens with what almost sounds like a real solo flute, with some warm X-Files-like synthy strings and switching out to an ethnic woodwind (synth) to play and dance around the main theme. Then a secondary theme develops, which is very similar to a main theme from Lee Holdridge's magnificent score to "In Search of Peace". It builds to a lovely fuller sound, playing around with the theme melodically.

For a change in pace, the fifth cue opens with a synth fretless base guitar and a synth snare, creating a beat. A synth pan pipe plays the main theme. The sound isn't so great, so I can't tell if what I am hearing playing with the music is a wooden zylophone or an anklung.

The final cue again uses a synth fretless base guitar with synth choir, before swiching out to another synth instrument and repraising the secondary theme again. A synth snare and synth kick drum keep a slow beat underneath as well as what I think might be a thick-sounding synth wood block. It repeated the choir lines again and again, fading out until the cue ends.

I don't know if this is all he did. I hope when somebody re-issues Silvestri's score, they include it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016
    I know that Timmer hates the Silvestri score. I don't. In fact, I love its moody Synclavier textures.

But I wasn't aware that Scott had written music for this. I like a lot of Scott's orchestral material, but I don't like it when he mixes it with pop elements (like the cheesy drumkit in many of those nature documentaries). So I'm naturally skeptical of anything Scott has done that includes synths. Doesn't seem to be his forte. I guess you could cal me mildly curious.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Ace Age (2002) - David Newman

This score is fun!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I know that Timmer hates the Silvestri score. I don't. In fact, I love its moody Synclavier textures.

I like my "prehistoric" scores more brutal and stark, One Million Years B.C. and Quest For Fire and the like.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Denial Howard Shore

Intensely serious, at times overpoweringly so as his music often is for me, but undeniably high quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For Love of the Game Basil Poledouris

At the other end of the spectrum. Very pleasant if unmemorable for twenty minutes then the great final ten.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ace Age (2002) - David Newman

This score is fun!

Volker

Aces, even.
  6. Thor wrote
    I guess you could cal me mildly curious.

Well, I'll add it to my list of things to call you. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016
    Southall wrote
    For Love of the Game Basil Poledouris

At the other end of the spectrum. Very pleasant if unmemorable for twenty minutes then the great final ten.

I love all of it! It's a very personal score. "Relationship Montage" was the first piece of music I heard after seeing my daughters ultra sound 7 and a half years ago.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ace Age (2002) - David Newman

This score is fun!

Volker

Aces, even.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KATMANDU (Pascal Gaigne)

Maybe my favourite Gaigne score. He almost always delivers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: KATMANDU (Pascal Gaigne)

Maybe my favourite Gaigne score. He almost always delivers.

I should give this another listen, I remember liking it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You've even been there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Multiple times even. I wonder what it looks like now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote

Much the same, I guess. Wish I could go there (or Tibet in general), but I think the window of opportunity is long since closed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LOREAK (Pascal Gaigne)

On a bit of a Gaigne binge. After KATMANDU, it was LAS MANOS DE MI MADRE, and now it's on to this hypnotic affair. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about Gaigne's music that appeals to me.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP - AN AMERICAN TALE: FIEVEL GOES WEST - James Horner

It's fun to hear Horner in old-timey western mode. There's a lot of energy here, which is also fun. I hadn't realized until this listen how similar "In Training" is to Copeland's famous "Hoe Down." What I really wish this score had is a big swelling orchestral statement of the "Dreams to Dream" theme, like what Horner did a few times with the melody from the song in LAND BEFORE TIME. There's a really nice appearance of the theme in "A New Land," I just wish is had more volume. And a cymbal crash or two smile
  9. Plenty of cymbal crashes in my airspace at the moment:

NP: Black Beauty - Danny Elfman

One of my favorite Elfmen, and among my very favorite scores by any film composer.
  10. NP: Mundos de Agua - Iván Palomares

Score from 2009 natural world documentary. Palomares goes for quirky and expressive orchestrations on a budget rather than sweeping symphonic grandure.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: The Driver - Michael Small

Gritty, tension-filled score from a composer that I struggle to really enjoy when listening to his scores away from the movies..
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Much the same, I guess. Wish I could go there (or Tibet in general), but I think the window of opportunity is long since closed.

I was referring to the huge earthquake that destroyed so many ancient buildings. So many iconic sites that I was familiar with were destroyed and so many people killed and displaced, including some of the famous trekking areas.

It's never too late to go to Nepal or Tibet ( though if you want Tibetan culture proper you'd have to go to Northern India, Dharmasala/McCleod Gange in particular ), in Tibet you'll only get a feel for what China wants you to know. As for Nepal, once you get over the expensive air fare it's one of the cheapest countries you could visit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited
    Ah yeah, I had forgotten about the earthquake.

It's never too late to go to Nepal or Tibet, of course, but I was thinking more in terms of my own health and money situation. That ship has passed. In the unlikely event it could happen; if I suddenly got much better, for example, well then it would need to be in combo with a trip to India.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MATKA EDENIIN (Pascal Gaigne)

Not an easy listen. Very abstract, somber string textures aplenty -- even moreso than that of Jonny Greenwood for Paul T. Anderson's films. But somehow captivating if you're in the mood.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited
    NP: CALVARY (Patrick Cassidy)

More depressing-beautiful music -- slightly more accesible than the Gaigne.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JIG (Patrick Doyle)

If anyone saw me play this, they'd probably think I was a pedophile or otherwise disturbed, but the music is quite good -- one of Doyle's best in recent years.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    NP: JIG (Patrick Doyle)

... they'd probably think I was otherwise disturbed ...

Yeah, well ... biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ATLANTIS: THE LAST DAYS OF KAPTARA (Peter Bateman)

It's a very "Erik Woods" score, not quite my cup of tea these days, but it's one of the fully orchestral, contemporary adventure scores that have managed to stay in my iTunes collection since I got it a couple of years ago. That's something, I guess. But I wish he'd cut about 20 minutes off the top for more fluid listening.
    I am extremely serious.