• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: QUO VADIS (Miklos Rozsa)

The Nic Raine/Prague re-recording. Fantastic music, but I can travel to Rome and back before the album finishes. It's probably not the right version for me.

How do you like the concert suite on the second CD?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote

Please, God, let Franglen get a ton more work.

Really? uhm The non-Horner'y bits are what let it down.

I was not let down at all, but even if you are, which is understandable, I really do not feel that it can be parcelled up like that. It's akin to the many scores where Hans Zimmer writes some themes and then a student and a bunch of underlings turn it into a complete film score. I feel like Franglen & co did a way better job emulating Horner than most of Zimmer's pupils have ever even come close to emulating Zimmer. The average quality of a Lorne Balfe score with themes by Hans Zimmer is much, much farther below Zimmer's real projects than Magnificent Seven is in reference to Horner's best works.

Not to mention I want to go back to Pandora and I dont' want to do it with any other musical voice taking me along for the ride. Given the recent revelations that Franglen was responsible for all of the synth and choral programming on Avatar, which were some of the strongest parts of the score, all we really need for the sequel scores to feel like they belong in the same universe is for Franglen to have the ability to come up with some decent new themes on his own. I believe he can do that. I think he at least deserves the chance. No one else is going to come closer to emulating Horner...I don't even want Zimmer to touch this even though Avatar was the most Zimmer-ish score of Horner's career and I'm the biggest Zimmer fan in the world*.

*not actually a true statement.
  3. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    The average quality of a Lorne Balfe score with themes by Hans Zimmer is much, much farther below Zimmer's real projects than Magnificent Seven is in reference to Horner's best works.

Really? Because I vastly prefer the at least partially Balfe-written Kung Fu Panda 3 to Zimmer's "real" score this year, Batman vs. Superman...I think it's more of a case-by-case thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: QUO VADIS (Miklos Rozsa)

The Nic Raine/Prague re-recording. Fantastic music, but I can travel to Rome and back before the album finishes. It's probably not the right version for me.

How do you like the concert suite on the second CD?

It's very good. A bit brief to be properly representative, but I'd like to see a 40-something minute album presented like that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016
    Rozsa recorded a 40 minute version in the 70's for Decca. You can find that album coupled with Ben-Hur. That'll be more you speed. Great sound, too.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. yeah
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    The average quality of a Lorne Balfe score with themes by Hans Zimmer is much, much farther below Zimmer's real projects than Magnificent Seven is in reference to Horner's best works.

Really? Because I vastly prefer the at least partially Balfe-written Kung Fu Panda 3 to Zimmer's "real" score this year, Batman vs. Superman...I think it's more of a case-by-case thing.

I agree, however not to be overly nerdy but...point #1) Batman vs Superman is more watered down by Holkenborg than KFP3 is watered down by Balfe. Zimmer is obviously so sick of superheroes he's about to throw up, but he still seemed halfway nostalgic about going back to KFP, so he tried harder on that one, whereas with BvS he was literally just cashing in a paycheck.

point #2) Balfe's greatest talent has always been pretending to be John Powell and that's exactly what he was asked to do with this score, which is an entirely different skill than pretending to be Hans Zimmer, which is seemingly what he usually actually gets hired to do, except in this particular case where he was specifically hired to replace Powell.

most importantly point #3) Balfe has matured greatly during the last few years, and this is Franglen's first try. If you go back to the beginning of Balfe's collaboration with Zimmer you get abysmal crap like Crysis 2 and a lot of really bland film scores. So Franglen is already much farther along the "Emulating a Master's Voice" Road....

....we all know this is really just because I want to believe there are more "Horner" scores to come even if there are no more Horner scores to come....but I believe Franglen can honestly be a pretty decent replacement.
  6. NP: The Light Between Oceans - Alexandre Desplat

This isn't doing anything for me at all. Desplat's command of the orchestra is solid, but none of the thematic material is particularly engaging.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Rozsa recorded a 40 minute version in the 70's for Decca. You can find that album coupled with Ben-Hur. That'll be more you speed. Great sound, too.

-Erik-

As I have been saying, even to Thor, roughly a zillion times!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. NP: The Bone Collector - Craig Armstrong

'New York City' is one of my favourite Armstrong tracks but I very rarely give the rest of the album a spin, which is a shame as it's a very solid album. I like the feel the composer gives to the score and - of course - whenever the 'New York City' theme appears (or fragments of it), it elevates the score further.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rocket Post - Nigel Clarke / Michael Csányi-Wills

This is one of Mikael's first MoveScore Media releases. I've had this in my collection since it was first released and according to iTunes I've listened to it only once 6 years ago. I'm sure I loved it back then too. It reminds me of a lush, Rachel Portman Celtic styled score. Beautifully performed by the Royal Philharmonic! Very nice Sunday afternoon listening!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016
    NP: Cafe Society

As per usual, the soundtrack to Woody Allen's latest -otherwise rather underwhelming- film, is a potpourri of jazz melodies, but this time he's had the excellent Vincent Giordano (who also re-recorded all the jazz greats for the Boardwalk Empire series) do a fresh recording of most of them. And it makes for swell listening.
    Apparently people don't feel comfortable saying 'swell' anymore.
    Well. I say it.

Anyway, it's absolutely heartwarming to hear Jeepers Creepers, Zing! Went the Strings Of My Heart Manhattan, and so many others in glorious hi-fi stereo (only Yera Son's violin on The Peanut Vendor is WAY off! yeeekkkk!) . Enjoying this almost as much as his Boardwalk Empire work!

Get the album, skip the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. What an elegant swellegant party this is! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What a swell time this is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Rocket Post - Nigel Clarke / Michael Csányi-Wills

This is one of Mikael's first MoveScore Media releases. I've had this in my collection since it was first released and according to iTunes I've listened to it only once 6 years ago. I'm sure I loved it back then too. It reminds me of a lush, Rachel Portman Celtic styled score. Beautifully performed by the Royal Philharmonic! Very nice Sunday afternoon listening!

-Erik-

I can't remember anyone ever talking about this. Thanks for making me aware of it!

NP - WE'RE BACK! A DINOSAUR'S STORY - James Horner

First listen. This is rather zany for the most part. I'm not finished with it, but I haven't heard much so far that would entice me to return to it. Not that swell, really.
  10. I love (kind of, in that I find it funny) the Beetlejuice rip in "Grand Slam Demons". I'm used to Horner nicking stuff from himself or from the Russians but for him to do such a baldfaced temp imitation of a colleague's work is pretty out of character...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016 edited
    NP: TSUNAGU (Naoki Sato)

Warm, lush and extremely melodic -- parts remind me of Morricone.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Chicken Run John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams

A defining score in my life as a film music fan.
  11. When did that life start?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good question. I suspect it started as early as I can remember, though it was getting Star Trek: First Contact on CD in 1996 as a present which probably cemented it. Then the usual suspects thereafter: Titanic, The Phantom Menace, Gladiator. I'd always been interested in music in film and TV from an early age; Chicken Run was a seminal moment in the process of becoming a film score nut. It was probably the first score I wanted to a film that I was less than proud to admit I liked the music to. (This was 16 years ago mind you, so being a teenager, social embarrassment was easier to come by.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Although I suppose Titanic was not one I was ready to admit either at that age (I recall asking a friend to buy the CD for me at a music store).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016 edited
    Damn. It's posts like that that REALLY age me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're an old fuck, grandpa.
  12. Funny, it makes me feel young! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016
    Where's Tom when I need to feel young?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016 edited
    NP: THE SIGNAL (Nima Fakhara)

I dig this film (and score), almost as much as Eubank's sci fi debut film LOVE (2011). It's a shame he was never picked up to do bigger stuff, like Denis Villeneuve, Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson etc. have. He's in that category, I think. Moody electronic score with hypnotizing effect; seems inspired by Eduard Artemiev.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    NP: TSUNAGU (Naoki Sato)

Warm, lush and extremely melodic -- parts remind me of Morricone.

That's a great score. I wish it were more widely available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016
    BFG John Williams

It's unsettling how much John Williams' newer scores go from being a disappointment, to mild approval and ultimately to wild enthusiasm.
  14. I had wild enthusiasm after the first time I listened to it wink I guess TFA primed me to have the correct expectations for what I was getting into and adjust my ears accordingly...

NP: The Legend of Tarzan - Rupert Gregson-Williams

It is:
    -the most pure and old school media ventures style score released in a very long time
    -the most entertaining score by a non-zimmer remote-control composer in at least the past year
    -my most listened to score of the summer outside the obvious legend's scores like Williams
    -exactly the sort of simplistic, exciting, invigorating fun that first got me into film music collecting in the first place in the early 00s with scores like Pirates, Time Machine, King Arthur, and Gladiator.
    -highly recommended if you like any of those things.
  15. Really? I only heard it in the movie ( sleep ) and while it did seem to call back to a slightly older school of MV scoring, it also struck me as a pretty bland example of that sort of thing. Especially thematically it didn't leave anything like the impression of the other scores you listed there. But maybe I'll give it a shot on album. The track when they were boarding the train did stand out as enjoyable.

As for non-Zimmer RC scores recently, have you heard Jablonsky's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles score? I thought that one was really fun. So is Eddie the Eagle by Margeson, if you have a soft spot for 80s synths or really early Zimmer scores like Days of Thunder.