• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Oh my. Are... are you okay?

I'm not just OK.
    I'm RIGHT! cool

(Yeah, I do tend to get a wee bit passionate about things I have strong feelings for.
    You may have noticed. wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013 edited
    Not only is Rota's score head and shoulders above any other ROMEO & JULIET adaptation -- classical or film music or whatever -- it's a strong score regardless of source material and genre. One of the true classics of film music history, and one of the most haunting love themes of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

Listening to the old GNP Crescendo album rather than the more recent expanded version.

One of THE greatest film score albums for me: there's not a single bad moment in this. Sometimes, if the wind is in the right direction, this pips Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture as my favourite film score of the franchise.

"Surprise Attack", "Kirk's Explosive Reply" and "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" are amongst my favourite Horner tracks and a highlight of his career. (IMO)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    Not only is Rota's score head and shoulders above any other ROMEO & JULIET adaptation -- classical or film music or whatever -- it's a strong score regardless of source material and genre. One of the true classics of film music history, and one of the most haunting love themes of all time.

yeah beer <- speciality beer wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013
    Except for Korzeniowski's who's a bit below wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

Listening to the old GNP Crescendo album rather than the more recent expanded version.

But the sound is so much better on the expanded album! uhm dizzy
  3. I thought the expanded album contained the LP version, but I see that it doesn't.

NP: Spartacus (1960) - Alex North

CD No one of the VS set featuring the stereo masters.

Man this is great, great music!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

...and it's BRILLIANT FROM BEGINING TO END! I've already given the GNP album away. I don't need it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I thought the expanded album contained the LP version, but I see that it doesn't.

NP: Spartacus (1960) - Alex North

CD No one of the VS set featuring the stereo masters.

Man this is great, great music!

Volker

So far today everyone is playing nothing but great music cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. So did I. I sold dozens of CDs that had been replaced over the years last sommer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Far be it for me to break that pattern....

NP : THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - Basil Poledouris

Have you received your copy yet Martijn?
  5. I have. Splendid!
  6. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes, the sound is better on expanded version. But iTunes gave me the original to listen to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) - Ennio Morricone

So subtle, so beautiful, so funny! One of my favourite scores of the maestro!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    NP: You And The Night - M83

Very strong early eighties electronics vibe in this, and it's thoroughly melancholic!
    Loads of echoes of Jarre jr. and Tangerine Dream, with a smidgen of Pink Floyd and, more modernly, Air thrown in.
    Quite good.
    But not very uplifting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    NP: You And The Night - M83

Very strong early eighties electronics vibe in this, and it's thoroughly melancholic!
    Loads of echoes of Jarre jr. and Tangerine Dream, with a smidgen of Pink Floyd and, more modernly, Air thrown in.
    Quite good.
    But not very uplifting.

Now those are some great references right there. Need to check this out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought you might. wink
  8. NP: Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1959) - Miklos Rosza / FSM

I considered myself lucky when I bought the Rhino/Sony set of this score several years ago for a bargain price of 7€. It's one of the most beautiful made sets in my collection. The liner notes are superb and the sound was al you could ask for back in 1996. So I'm going to keep that set at all events.

Even so the sound of the 2012 FSM edition is a revelation! A showcase of the development that has taken place in sound preservation in the intervening 16 years.

What a marvelous, timeless score!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a great release.
    But even owning all currently available versions, I will always return to Rozsa's Decca Phase 4 rerecording.
    It's the finest representation of the score, bar none.
  9. NP: The Ultimate Pink Panther (2004) - Henry Mancini

I am not the biggest fan of Mancinis easy listening scores. Yet this compilation is a wonderfully laid back pastime. It gives you all you need from this iconic film music universe.

I also recommend: The Pink Panther & Other Hits:

- The Pink Panther
    - Hatari
    - Sharade
    - Breakfast at Tiffany's (There is a new release coming.)

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It's a great release.
    But even owning all currently available versions, I will always return to Rozsa's Decca Phase 4 rerecording.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited
    Didn't know where to put this , so I'll mention it here ...
    Dunno if anybody mentioned this before but you can listen to some
    soundtrack mixes on Mubi right here ... wink
    The latest mix features music from Bernard Herrmann ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    It's a great release.

At this very moment in my life... yeah

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. That is shurely a great recording. Yet imo the suite Erich Kunzel recorded is on par with it.

Volker
  11. NP: Masada (1981) - Jerry Goldsmith
    Re-recorded suites MCA/VS

This CD was one of my first "discoveries" when I was still a newbie in film scores. I found it in a store in Bonn (Internet had not reached me yet.) and could not believe it. I had seen the mini series a short time before on TV and I had loves the score. I had recorded the film on VHS video. I transferred the Main Theme to CC and played it again and again.
    I still prefer this version to the OST which I also own.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    It's a great release.

At this very moment in my life... yeah

-Erik-

Hmm. I think I must locate a copy of that recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited
    I think you must.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Four Musketeers - Lalo Schifrin

A very, very worthwhile and evocative score, arranged for a wide palette of instruments and range of emotions.
    In fact, I'd say it's one of Schifrin's finest non-jazz/funk works. The main theme that runs throughout the score,Athos' Theme, is just so beautifully sour-sweet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes, the sound is better on expanded version. But iTunes gave me the original to listen to.

Delete that shit, yo! dizzy