• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. This is quite a good score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Jesus, the Desire of Ages - Patrick Rundbladh

I really like this score, beautiful uses of harmony, ethnic instruments and vocals which are more pleasant/mysterious than wailing.

Its like Passion of the Christ on a lower music budget.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. "Ages"! I first read "Agnes". dizzy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Last Mimzy - Howard Shore

Underrated. It's like a bleak E.T. set in Dudley.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MY WEEK WITH MARILYN (Conrad Pope et.al.)

Not sure how the album holds up as a whole yet, but I was taken by the track "Colin Runs Off To The Circus", which sounds VERY much like John Williams. Not so strange, perhaps, since Pope has worked with Williams on numerous occasions, but still.....

I think I've seen the film, but I can hardly remember anything from it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Love that score to pieces!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Bright Star (Mark Bradshaw)

Funnily enough, marking an essay about this score, so just returning to it to see if the student is right. Scores for Campion's films are pretty distinctive. If someone can identify what this has in common with things like The Piano, Portrait of a Lady, In the Cut and Holy Smoke, I'd love to hear what it is.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote:
    NP: MY WEEK WITH MARILYN (Conrad Pope et.al.)

I think I've seen the film, but I can hardly remember anything from it.

Lovely little film, with a veritable tour de force by Kenneth Brannagh as Laurence Olivier whose initial lust for Monroe turns to sheer exasperation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013
    NP: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey ~ Howard Shore

Waiting for the new one! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey ~ Howard Shore

Waiting for the new one! smile

Definitely!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. NP: Venus In Fur - Alexandre Desplat

I'm enjoying this new score from Desplat for Polanski's film. Very Desplat-ish.

It has been released as a single, 37-minute single track (though at the moment iTunes is confused and is only offering the digital booklet for sale). I have edited it down to a 14-track collection for convenience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013 edited
    NP: RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (Patrick Doyle)

2011 was an amazing year for Doyle, and while this is far from the highlight (too many Zimmer-type ostinati for that), it still has his trademark melodic finesse and some great exotic textures.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Will - Nigel Clarke & Michael Csanyi-Wills (title track from Varese 35th collection)

Why did this not get a proper release? I only knew it was worth listening to due to D's recommendation almost 2 years ago. Its a bloody fantastic huge epic choir and orchestra explosion.
  6. It did -- Varese Sarabande released it; here's an FSM thread on it with more information, back from the time it was released:
    http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Will - Nigel Clarke & Michael Csanyi-Wills (title track from Varese 35th collection)

Why did this not get a proper release? I only knew it was worth listening to due to D's recommendation almost 2 years ago. Its a bloody fantastic huge epic choir and orchestra explosion.

Absolutely! I just discovered it for the first time too. A superb score! I posted my comments in the FSM thread Justin linked to. Thankfully, it has a proper release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Venus In Fur - Alexandre Desplat

It has been released as a single, 37-minute single track (though at the moment iTunes is confused and is only offering the digital booklet for sale). I have edited it down to a 14-track collection for convenience.

Want!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LAST OF THE DOGMEN - David Arnold

Very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: The Debt (Thomas Newman)

This score seems pretty good. Why didn't anyone like it again?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Venus In Fur - Alexandre Desplat

Nice! Is it one suite without any stops and did you make the tracks at random, or are there obvious music-breaks in which you could split the track up? I love an ongoing suite, but I hate a 1-track-with-pauses like Poledouris' Les Miserables...
  8. From listening to the suite there are only one or two points at which (I think) are specific breaks - but I have no idea whether they are actual breaks between "cues" or whether they are just pauses within cues.

I've really just made personal judgements based on what I hear: is there, say, a resolution of a string phrase with a natural fade, is there a point where there seems to be a pause with the end of a specific musical idea and the beginning of a different musical idea, etc.

Listening back to the 14 tracks I made, a lot of them begin with variations of what I would call a recurring musical motif (a theme?) - making it seem that it's the beginning of a different treatment/interpretation of this motif. This fits in with something Jon Broxton mentioned about there being the possibility that Desplat wrote very little music for the film - perhaps only a title and end cue. If this is the case and the composer has expanded these ideas out to make a suite based upon variations of this central composition then the splices I have made may reflect these different treatments? I've no idea, but it all sounds plausible.
  9. King Arthur time! Today playing:

Camelot - Brothers Danna
    Knights of the Round Table - Miklos Rozsa
    Suite from Lancelot and Guinevere - Ron Goodwin
    The Mists of Avalon - Lee Holdridge
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith
    Excalibur: Siegfried's Funeral March from Götterdämmerung - Richard Wagner

knight Volker
  10. "Along Came A Spider" (expanded)
    Goldsmith

Giving this it's last fair shot listen. I'm picking parts of cues that are good, to make a suite or two if there's enough good material.

I feel there's nothing particularly great about this score -- certainly not a strong point in his career.
    It's got some of that later scoring style in it, with some ST:9 and "U.S. Marshals" ideas breifly throughout.

It's even got some Jerry meandering. Even when his cues went nowhere, they sounded so professional. A lot of composers today could learn a thing or two about this.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    King Arthur time! Today playing:

Camelot - Brothers Danna
    Knights of the Round Table - Miklos Rozsa
    Suite from Lancelot and Guinevere - Ron Goodwin
    The Mists of Avalon - Lee Holdridge
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith
    Excalibur: Siegfried's Funeral March from Götterdämmerung - Richard Wagner

knight Volker

May I commend you for having no Zimmer in that line-up and for saving the best till last cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. I also commend you for having no Zimmer in that line-up biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Thirded.
  13. Well ...
    Firstly: I do not have King Arthur in my collection.
    Secondly: IMO Zimmer has done worse than he did with KA.
    Thirdly: Even so, his style simply would not have fitted in this distinctly symphonic play list.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Zimmer's KA is one of the albums that solidified my film music obsession.
  14. Personally, KA would be a "must include" for me, but maybe we can settle on adding "Merlin" by Trevor Jones and, if available, some tracks from the BBC series as well.
  15. I truely forgot that one! shame Of course it belongs in this line up!

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, I'd have added MERLIN. I'd also add Ron Goodwin's SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT and Paul Lewis ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS.

I think I could even find some room for Zimmer's KING ARTHUR wink ( I dislike a lot of it but it does have some moments )