• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    It's hard for me to believe now but I was actually disappointed when I found out Meco's Star Wars wasn't from the original soundtrack shame

I hear what you're saying. I was surprised when I heard that the actual score was played by the London Symphony Orchestra!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013
    The shame brothers shame shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    shocked Holy Moley!

This is a bit like those STAR WARS and SUPERMAN versions by Meko. I bought these a few years ago for five € along with a 16 minutes suite of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA by Giorgio Moroder!

http://www.amazon.de/Movie-Themes-Disco … B003616M6G

Volker

It was quite a fad for sci-fi movie themes to be Disco-ified in the late 1970's.

Even GEOFF LOVE got in on the act. cheesy

When you look back on it, some of these albums had some very interesting "beyond the usual" selections.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Dune - Toto

I love this. And the film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - J Williams

Spectacularly good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    :whip:
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Best Indy score! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013
    ^ Wrong!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Best Indy score! punk

It's definitely my favourite. Quite possibly my favourite Williams score, actually.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Wrong!

Bahahahaha, my Erik-baiting was successful. bounce

Southall wrote
    It's definitely my favourite. Quite possibly my favourite Williams score, actually.

I find it pretty hard to narrow Williams down to a favorite, but if I were to try, Temple of Doom would certainly be in the running. It's probably his most frenetic and explosive score, full of underrated themes, it's just pedal to the medal action and adventure and exotic bombast from A to Z and back again. Never a dull moment with this one. punk

Unlike Raiders...I'm looking at you, "The Well of the Souls"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Wrong!

-Erik-

yeah

Raiders all the way! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Finally, some sanity around here!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Feel free to never come back any time now!

-Erik-
  4. THE BOOK THIEF - John Williams

Hearing a new Williams score for the first time is kind of like Christmas morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Very true. Nicely said!
  5. Thanks, Atham smile

After my first full listen of the score I can see why people are comparing it to ANGELA'S ASHES. It's definitely a close relative of that score, though the main theme from TBT (it has a main theme people - a proper main theme that's not, like, five notes or something) is not as memorable as that of AA. It also doesn't have anything nearly as uplifting as "Coming to America" from ANGELA'S ASHES, but that would be asking a lot, as I consider that to be one of the finest compositions of Williams's career.

Still, being in the same family as that score is enough for me to enjoy THE BOOK THIEF quite a bit. More listens will either cement my enjoyment of this score or expose my initial over-excitement at hearing a new Williams score, but for now, I say this is one of the best five scores of the year, and my favorite thing that Williams has written in the last decade or so.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Wrong!

-Erik-

yeah

Raiders all the way! punk

Reasoning sais "Raiders".
    My heart sais "Last Crusade". That Grail theme is incredible.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. The Hunt for Red October and Cocoon (both Intrada) arrived today.

"Red October" (Poledouris) replaces the original edition.
    "Cocoon" fills one of the few remaining gabs in my collection when it comes to romantic orchestral scoring from the 80s. I was never able to lay my hands on one of the former releases for a reasonable price. So this is very welcome indeed.

Since I'm buisy with marking tests, I'll propbably have to wait till Sunday evening before I can give a proper listen to each score.

Volker
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Come on, even you have to admit that cue isn't the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    !!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ARABESQUE - Henry Mancini

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Would you like a new spade!?? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ARABESQUE - Henry Mancini

cool

Why do I not play this more often????? What a wonderful album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I'm admitting nothing. The Well of the Souls is brilliant musical story telling and if you can't hear it or feel it then I actually feel sorry for you.

EDIT - And it's a cue that instantly recognizable. Case in point. I'm playing the cue right now and my seven year old came down stairs and asked, "Hey Dad, is that Indiana Jones?"

I said, "Yes it is son."

Liam then responds with, "Is that the part where Indy is finding the ark? You know, where Indy's friend asked him to go first even though he's scared of snakes."

Liam has only seen Raiders three times.

:whip:

-Erik-
  9. Oh, screw it. It's weekend now plus I got to listen to Cocoon! Etheral music combined with Horner in Glenn-Miller-mode. I so dig this laid back score!

Volker
  10. The Hunt for Red October (1990) - Basil Poledouris
    Intrada

Well, this is an upgrade in sound quality if ever I listened to one! What a superbely produced CD this is!

(And, Tim, I believe this score does have something Barryesque about it.) wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

What's wrong with that cue? uhm
  11. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

What's wrong with that cue? uhm

Nothing. He is just trying to tease Erik.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The Hunt for Red October (1990) - Basil Poledouris
    Intrada

Well, this is an upgrade in sound quality if ever I listened to one! What a superbely produced CD this is!

(And, Tim, I believe this score does have something Barryesque about it.) wink

Volker

I can think of a lot of cues throughout Basil's career that are Barryesque, not surprising that he was a big John Barry fan who was 'in awe of Barry's genius' ( as he said to me personally )