• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013
    yeah

Pup-pup-pup-pup-puppies!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013
    All this talk about Shore's LOTRs scores got me playing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey again.
    Erebor and (especially) The Dwarf Lords from the "exclusive bonus tracks" just scream "BARRY-ESQUE"!!!
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

When you sit and listen to this - really listen to it - I think you hear one of the greatest of film scores. The pretty theme - which I've said before is probably my single favourite film theme (when I don't mention the other candidate, by M. Delerue) - well, it's so pretty. The contrast between that - and the other florid "love theme" - and the undercurrent of extraordinary turbulence is what makes it. It's incredible with or without picture. If there's a case to be made for film music to be considered alongside concert music, then Goldsmith at his best makes the case better than most. This is an exceptional film score and an exceptional piece of music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    All this talk about Shore's LOTRs scores got me playing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey again.
    Erebor and (especially) The Dwarf Lords from the "exclusive bonus tracks" just scream "BARRY-ESQUE"!!!
    cool

^
    Captain Future wrote

My friend, you seem to observe "Barryesque-ines" in every third score or so. cheesy

As you see, my dear Captain, I don't just pluck these things out of mid-air. tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    (Answering Scribe)

No, I honestly don't think so. I perceive Shore's style as being remarkably unique. Apart from obvious classical influences I always thought that Kilar's "Dracular" was "the road to" LotR. Maybe Goldsmith's "Omen III" should be mentioned, but not very much more.

Ah yes, Kilar's DRACULA, another Barryesque score cool wink

JG's THE FINAL CONFLICT, another Barryessssssss..... Well, a conglomeration of Stravinsky, Ravel and Debussy. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Eric wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Commandos Strike Force - Mateo Pascual

I love this one ! A rousing & heroic game score !
    The music is performed by the Bratislava Symphony and City Choir of Bratislava , which gives the score a more cinematic feel . No electronics here ... wink

is this an old game? I remember the first Commandos, but I assume this is a sequel?

It's the fourth installment in the Commando series Thomas . The game is from 2006 and now introduced the first person perspective in the series . The previous games used the overhead view .

ah, I remember the first being pretty cool, knew there was a sequel. But not that many. Thanks Eric
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

When you sit and listen to this - really listen to it - I think you hear one of the greatest of film scores. The pretty theme - which I've said before is probably my single favourite film theme (when I don't mention the other candidate, by M. Delerue) - well, it's so pretty. The contrast between that - and the other florid "love theme" - and the undercurrent of extraordinary turbulence is what makes it.

Sounds like the name of the third HOBBIT movie:

THE HOBBIT III: THE UNDERCURRENT OF EXTRAORDINARY TURBULENCE.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. So Ender's Game by Steve Jablonsky arrived this morning. ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    So Ender's Game by Steve Jablonsky arrived this morning. It was my resolve not to buy this score after all I have heard about it. But then you have to make up own mind, don't you? Also Science Fiction scores have been the core of my collection from the beginning and Ender's Game is a major series in the genre, like "Dune" or "Foundation". It is the same story as with "Prometheus": I end up buying such scores fore the sake of completeness, for it's "being there" regardless how much I like it.
    I'll voice an opinion about the score later this day.

Volker

Well, this is undemanding easy listening, with scratches of identity. Most of it we have heard dozens of times. Still there is some nice material here, that could serve as the basis for a far more interesting score. As it is: **1/2

Addition:
    Some of the score has a Tangerine-Dream feeling to it. 80s ambient electronica.
  4. OK. After listening to Ender's Game twice I will take back all the nonsense I scribbled above.
    If you free yourself from all clichès you might harbour about space opera film scoring and if you love - as I do - 80s ambient electronica - than this score is nothing short of a masterwork. This is in the tradition of Vangelis and Tangerine Dream, a celebration of multy layered atmospheric hybrid music. As such very much befitting the nature of the story it was written for. This truely is the music of Ender's Game. ****1/2

There! I said it! cheesy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ....were you just hired by an ad agency? confused

I don't hear the slightest hint of 80s in Ender's Game. Its nothing but tired RC-isms; endless ostinati used as an excuse for the composer's inability to build any sort of dramatic tension, music-school-style arpegggios used as an excuse for the composer not being allowed to write a theme that might convey any sort of emotion whatsoever.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Scribe wrote

[while counting his money]

wh ... what did you just say? dizzy
  6. I wouldn't go that far on ENDER'S GAME, but I do think it's better than most people have been saying. It has some decent moments in it, and it's competently composed. And don't typically like RC-scores much (for example, PACIFIC RIM is one of my least favorite scores of the year).
  7. I've recently played...

RED WING - Lorne Balfe

This is quite nice. It's pretty understated and lovely. Between this, SALINGER, and GIRL RISING, I think Balfe's had a pretty good year, this being my favorite of his for this year. The final cue is very nice.

KELEBEGIN RUYASI (BUTTERFLY'S DREAM) - Rahman Altin

This is also quite lovely, but so plagued by dialogue (probably half the cues have it) that it sort of ruins the experience. I'm not a fan of dialogue in the first place, but when it's a language I don't understand (Turkish, I think), it's worse still. If I did feel like sitting around listening to people speak softly in Turkish, I would play this album, because they're talking over some nice music. For a good example of what this score has to offer, check out the 2nd and 9th tracks, which are blessedly free of dialogue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    If I did feel like sitting around listening to people speak softly in Turkish,

I get that feeling every other Tuesday.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. christopher wrote
    I wouldn't go that far on ENDER'S GAME, but I do think it's better than most people have been saying. It has some decent moments in it, and it's competently composed. And don't typically like RC-scores much (for example, PACIFIC RIM is one of my least favorite scores of the year).

I never used to be a big fan of RC, too. Yet this year there have been exceptions from that rule. MAN OF STEEL grew on me, PACIF RIM I liked instantly, RUSH is outstanding, well and now ENDER'S GAME.

Volker
  9. Captain Future wrote
    christopher wrote
    I wouldn't go that far on ENDER'S GAME, but I do think it's better than most people have been saying. It has some decent moments in it, and it's competently composed. And don't typically like RC-scores much (for example, PACIFIC RIM is one of my least favorite scores of the year).

I never used to be a big fan of RC, too. Yet this year there have been exceptions from that rule. MAN OF STEEL grew on me, PACIF RIM I liked instantly, RUSH is outstanding, well and now ENDER'S GAME.

Volker

None of those scores are even close to the best that RC has produced. dizzy
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    christopher wrote

Volker

What are your favourites?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

I don't hear the slightest hint of 80s in Ender's Game. Its nothing but tired RC-isms; endless ostinati used as an excuse for the composer's inability to build any sort of dramatic tension, music-school-style arpegggios used as an excuse for the composer not being allowed to write a theme that might convey any sort of emotion whatsoever.

I'm inclined to agree. It's nice enough and didn't offend my ears but it'll not bother me if I never hear it again.
  11. christopher wrote
    I've recently played...

RED WING - Lorne Balfe

This is quite nice. It's pretty understated and lovely. Between this, SALINGER, and GIRL RISING, I think Balfe's had a pretty good year, this being my favorite of his for this year. The final cue is very nice.

This is also quite lovely, but so plagued by dialogue (probably half the cues have it) that it sort of ruins the experience. I'm not a fan of dialogue in the first place, but when it's a language I don't understand (Turkish, I think), it's worse still. If I did feel like sitting around listening to people speak softly in Turkish, I would play this album, because they're talking over some nice music. For a good example of what this score has to offer, check out the 2nd and 9th tracks, which are blessedly free of t.

Re the dialogue. I ended up editing out all the talking and tried to generate a talking-free album. Seems to work great that way.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

Terrific score!
  12. Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    christopher wrote

Volker

What are your favourites?

Keeping fairly strictly to the "classic" MV/RC action score formula and discounting those scores which have managed to largely distance themselves from that sound (mostly John Powell, though also some others like Jablonsky's Steamboy and Badelt's The Promise and The Time Machine, all fantastic), I'd name (roughly in descending order of how much I like them): Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, King Arthur, Gladiator, The Rock, Angels and Demons, The Last Samurai, Twister, Transformers (the first one), Backdraft, Planes, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, The Peacemaker, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, Team America: World Police, Pearl Harbor, Tears of the Sun, Your Highness, The Da Vinci Code, Remember the Titans and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron all as excellent examples that are better than any of the scores you mentioned. I'd give any of those scores four or more stars.
  13. And there's gaps in even that list, because I haven't heard (for instance) Armageddon or Speed 2: Cruise Control in their totality, but based on what I have heard they seem like they're towards the top of this particular subgenre as well. smile
  14. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    If I did feel like sitting around listening to people speak softly in Turkish,

I get that feeling every other Tuesday.

biggrin
    Get this album, Thor. Your Tuesdays will be so satisfying.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    christopher wrote
    I've recently played...

RED WING - Lorne Balfe

This is also quite lovely, but so plagued by dialogue (probably half the cues have it) that it sort of ruins the experience. I'm not a fan of dialogue in the first place, but when it's a language I don't understand (Turkish, I think), it's worse still. If I did feel like sitting around listening to people speak softly in Turkish, I would play this album, because they're talking over some nice music. For a good example of what this score has to offer, check out the 2nd and 9th tracks, which are blessedly free of t.

Re the dialogue. I ended up editing out all the talking and tried to generate a talking-free album. Seems to work great that way.

Yeah, that would work well. It would also go a long way to cutting down the lengthy album time.
  15. Thanks, Edmund!

NP: Rush (2013) - Hans Zimmer
    Sans songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CHILLERAMA ZOM-B-MOVIE (Bear McCreary)

Hmmm....I don't know. It has a couple of fun pastiche tracks, but for the most part this doesn't do it for me. It might have to go.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And there's gaps in even that list, because I haven't heard (for instance) Armageddon or Speed 2: Cruise Control in their totality, but based on what I have heard they seem like they're towards the top of this particular subgenre as well. smile

You must rectify your lack of Armageddon ASAP. Its one of the 5 most important scores that got me into film music as a hobby and its an absolutely classic visit to every RC-ism in the book, most of the tropes done much better than they have been for the 15 years hence. But make sure you get the recording sessions version, which I would hope will be released officially within the next few years. The regular score album includes only the material written by Trevor Rabin which, while one of his best scores, doesn't hold a candle to the extra stuff written by Gregson-Williams and Jablonsky. 3 of the 5 best cues in the score are completely missing from the regular release!
  16. Is that recording sessions version a promo or ... something else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes.
  17. Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And there's gaps in even that list, because I haven't heard (for instance) Armageddon or Speed 2: Cruise Control in their totality, but based on what I have heard they seem like they're towards the top of this particular subgenre as well. smile

You must rectify your lack of Armageddon ASAP. Its one of the 5 most important scores that got me into film music as a hobby and its an absolutely classic visit to every RC-ism in the book, most of the tropes done much better than they have been for the 15 years hence. But make sure you get the recording sessions version, which I would hope will be released officially within the next few years. The regular score album includes only the material written by Trevor Rabin which, while one of his best scores, doesn't hold a candle to the extra stuff written by Gregson-Williams and Jablonsky. 3 of the 5 best cues in the score are completely missing from the regular release!

And two cues by HZ himself smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website