• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013 edited
    NP: FAST FIVE (Brian Tyler)

My first Tyler score (although I've obviously heard more of his stuff in the movies themselves). Pretty good; some great riffs going on. Loads of JASON BOURNE, obviously. Let's see if I feel the same once I've been through it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013
    Alright, a few more tracks in and I'm getting tired of the constant attacks.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Alright, a few more tracks in and I'm getting tired of the constant attacks.

Brian Tyler and his 79-minute bombastic loud as hell wall-to-wall action music albums are not going to sit well with you in general, Thor, I'd better warn you right out the gate. biggrin

Pretty much the only thing about his albums you'll like is that they're not chronological, but I've never gotten the impression from him that he cares much about album structure. Generally speaking it seems like he tries to put his best cues in the first third or so of the album. It's not always the case, but with a lot of his scores you can point to an exact place where you could press stop and not be missing out on anything essential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013 edited
    Yeah, it quickly wore out its welcome. Now that one's going out the virtual window too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013
    NP: FEAR IS THE KEY (Roy Budd)

Now THIS is cool! Don't like the sound effects in the "Car Chase" track, but Budd is the swing master for sure!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: FEAR IS THE KEY (Roy Budd)

Now THIS is cool! Don't like the sound effects in the "Car Chase" track, but Budd is the swing master for sure!

The car chase music has often been complained about by us purists but unfortunately it seems it's incorrectable slant

Budd is/was one hell of a musician, a brilliant pianist and a bloody fine composer who, if GET CARTER is the only piece of music he's remembered for is damn good going because there are a lot of A-list composers out there today who have done heap loads more scores than Budd ( who died at a tragically young 49 years of age ) who haven't got a single piece as iconic, memorable and legendary as that one theme.

You may have seen this before but it's well worth while putting up again...

ROY BUDD PLAYS GET CARTER

A theme of GENIUS!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I have the GET CARTER DVD where that one is included. Great stuff. Superb film too. I did a 'favourite film' article on it here (in Norwegian): http://montages.no/2012/08/get-carter-1971/
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: White Fang 2 - Myth of the White Wolf - John Debney

I've not heard this for some time and I had forgotten how good it is. Dramatic, sweeping, exciting & tender.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I have the GET CARTER DVD where that one is included. Great stuff. Superb film too. I did a 'favourite film' article on it here (in Norwegian): http://montages.no/2012/08/get-carter-1971/

Yes, it's a very good film. I was sure you did this as one of your FSM film posts?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, it's a very good film. I was sure you did this as one of your FSM film posts?

Yeah, that too. It's one of my favourite films.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, that too. It's one of my favourite films.

Guess I'll have to check it out then.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...while we have a similar taste in music, we don't necessarily have one in films.

But yeah -- I recommend checking it out!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I double recommend it. Would make a brilliant Brit gangster flick double-bill with the also excellent The Long Good Friday
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I double recommend it. Would make a brilliant Brit gangster flick double-bill with the also excellent The Long Good Friday

Absolutely. And the latter has some cool music by Francis Monkman too which I think Volker would like. The main theme has a certain Alan Parsons Project/"Gold Bug" vibe.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely. And the latter has some cool music by Francis Monkman too which I think Volker would like. The main theme has a certain Alan Parsons Project/"Gold Bug" vibe.

Here's THE THEME cool A perfect theme for Hoskins swaggering character.

I saw Monkman play at Glastonbury once, unfortunately he didn't play any of this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Here's THE THEME cool A perfect theme for Hoskins swaggering character.

I saw Monkman play at Glastonbury once, unfortunately he didn't play any of this score.

And here's Gold Bug (the stylistic similarity comes in at about 1:30, in particular).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very! I'm well aware of that one. cool
  4. (Sorry, I didn't find a more suitable thread.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuKULCgqTQ4

This is a tune by British composer Richard Harvey that I first heard in a documentary about astrophysics. As of now I was not able to determine a CD that would contain this track. The discography on his own site does not goe into very much detail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Gorgeous track! I have no idea which CD it is from, but I know that Harvey has composed a great deal of library music that production companies can licence. I'm guessing it must be one of those?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: STAR WARS (1977) - John Williams
    The Fox/Arrista version. The edit is identical to the original release.

The Force ist strong with this one.

punk Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Capricorn One - J Goldsmith

The original album. Fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : APOLLO 31 - James Horner

classic!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Capricorn One - J Goldsmith

The original album. Fantastic.

Top man! The only one I actually play.
  6. Timmer wrote
    NP : APOLLO 31 - James Horner

classic!

The sequels in Hollywood are getting out of hand, aren't they? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely! biggrin
  7. Last time I did this I managed to confuse Jay Rifkin with Lalo Schifrin biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013
    Hey Captain, this one is for you...

cheesy THE BLACK HOLE cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...it don't stop there, here's some more...

cheesy ALIEN cheesy
  8. shocked Holy Moley!

This is a bit like those STAR WARS and SUPERMAN versions by Meko. I bought these a few years ago for five € along with a 16 minutes suite of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA by Giorgio Moroder!

http://www.amazon.de/Movie-Themes-Disco … B003616M6G

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    shocked Holy Moley!

This is a bit like those STAR WARS and SUPERMAN versions by Meko. I bought these a few years ago for five € along with a 16 minutes suite of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA by Giorgio Moroder!

http://www.amazon.de/Movie-Themes-Disco … B003616M6G

Volker

biggrin cheesy

It's hard for me to believe now but I was actually disappointed when I found out Meco's Star Wars wasn't from the original soundtrack shame