• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2016 edited
    Yeah, it's a lot better than I thought. Jaylah and Yorktown themes are two of the best from the series.
  1. Michael Giacchino - Rogue One: A Star Wars One

One of my favourite scores this year. I can't say much more without seeing the film. However, I have to point out how masterfully Giacchino includes licks of the Williams idiom into his own style. The brass writing here and there, usage of some themes (though I'm not sure if the Hope theme using a few notes of the Luke theme... I have to see the film to assess that). On the one hand I wonder, I really, do what Desplat has written. I was looking foward to that score (so was, seemingly, Giacchino). But this one I like. I like the respect for the original material while trying to make his own stamp on the franchise.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I edited the same album. Recommendable.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP - MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT - Naoki Sato

First listen. Sato almost always has a score in my top ten at the end of the year. This may be it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2016
    christopher wrote
    NP - MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT - Naoki Sato

First listen. Sato almost always has a score in my top ten at the end of the year. This may be it.

Great score. Not on my Top 10 list, but among the contenders. Sato had several scores out this year, but this was the only one that impressed me and that I decided to keep (from before, I have UNMEI NO HITO, PRICELESS and TSUNAGU).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. How many of his scores from 2016 did you get to hear? There are a few others I'm interested in acquiring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2016
    4 or 5; I can't remember what they were called at the moment.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Star Trek Beyond (2016)

The Force was strong with Giacchino this year. May he live long and prosper smile

Volker
  6. NP: Silent Running (1971) - Peter Schickele

Listening to this score makes my heart melt. I just ordered the film on BluRay (alongside FORBIDDEN PLANET and OUTLAND).

Volker
  7. NP: Tracers (1984) - Mark Ryder, Phil Davies

Terrific electronica music.
  8. Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time - Robert Folk

May 2017 boast feats of heroism and harmony that belie the general, inescapable disasters.
  9. If we get an adventure score as good as that one, I'll consider it an excellent year indeed. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017
    NP: RoboCop 3 [The Deluxe Edition] - Basil Poledouris

The additional material in fact holds pretty much all of the worthwhile material in the score, as it refers time and again to the fantastic and robust RoboCop theme (something the original release omitted entirely, save once).

It's this that makes the score worth listening to, as most of the tracks (and pretty much all othe ones on the original have a tendency to suggest working towards an emotional climax...and then petering out just before that point. In fact it reminds me of nothing so much as tantric sex: it's just banging away without going anywhere.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2017
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

It's taken me a while to get into this for some reason, but now I can see why people think it's one of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

It's taken me a while to get into this for some reason, but now I can see why people think it's one of his best.

Perhaps the only Giacchino score I can tolerate. But only barely.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Southall wrote

That and Jupiter Ascending are top of the line for me, from him. Wish Rogue One had been a bit more in that vein, but I guess the time constraints precluded anything this focused.
  11. I believe, that the impact of time constraints is speculative. People know there has been a late change in the music department, they expect to hear something diminishing the score as a result and hence they hear it. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Volker
  12. Nah, it's very clear to my ears that Rogue One is nowhere near as coherent or elegantly structured as those two Giacchino scores. Compare any action cue in Rogue One with the rhythmic drive and frequent thematic integration of "Sab Than Pursues the Princess" or "The Shadow Chase", and it's pretty clear to me which score comes out on top. Nothing to do with preconceived notions at all.
  13. Well, Jupiter Ascending is more of a symphonic poem than a film score really, given that Giacchino worked very early on the project, based on the script. The film was partly edited following the music, not vice versa. (Or at least that's what I read.)
    John Carter is still one of my least favourite Giacchino scores. I perceive some bad temp track bleeding there. (Jarre, Arabia, e.g.) Technically it's brilliant.
    I'm not free of preconceived notions myself. I "want" Giacchino's Star Wars score to be good. I'm well aware of that. At the end of the day every one likes what he does and does not what he doesn't.
  14. Captain Future wrote
    John Carter is still one of my least favourite Giacchino scores. I perceive some bad temp track bleeding there. (Jarre, Arabia, e.g.) Technically it's brilliant.

Temping? Nah. He's writing in the same idiom, maybe, but that's it.
  15. It has grown in my esteem, but still ... I'll revisit it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Figures that the only MG score I tolerate, you dislike, and the one I absolutely abhor, you like. Maybe the day has come when your and mine overlapping taste in music has finally ended.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Partly, my friend, just partly. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I believe, that the impact of time constraints is speculative. People know there has been a late change in the music department, they expect to hear something diminishing the score as a result and hence they hear it. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

A 'nocebo' effect, yes. That doesn't mean Edmund is entirely unable to discern between the scores objectively, but the knowledge would at the very least spur that sort of comparison and certainly colour an initial listen. You can't avoid it.

The same principle, but more extreme, would be to imagine if the exact same music was written by Junk XL. I wonder if our resident Norwegian hipster would have a different opinion of it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2017 edited
    Are you talking about ROGUE ONE still? I wouldn't have held a different opinion of that if the Pope himself had written it. That would have been fun, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then you really do have a brain like no other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thank you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rogue One Michael Giacchino

Rogue One by Michael Giacchino. #RogueOne #Michael Giacchino
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Light Between Oceans - Alexandre Desplat

The more I listen to this, the more riveting it gets.

(I love John Carter.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Josh B wrote
    The Light Between Oceans - Alexandre Desplat

The more I listen to this, the more riveting it gets.

I don't get the fascination for this either. Is there a parallell world I can move to where there is no Desplat or Giacchino?
    I am extremely serious.