• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    '14 is the year of the great tv music that almost outshames film music (good wife s5, house of cards s2, hannibal s1 etc).

uhm

Hannibal is the most obnoxious score I've heard in a TV series. It's atrocious.

Also, Hannibal season 1 is 2013!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    '14 is the year of the great tv music that almost outshames film music

False.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Demetris wrote
    '14 is the year of the great tv music that almost outshames film music (good wife s5, house of cards s2, hannibal s1 etc). This new Crispy Bacon's BATES MOTEL is wholly orchestral, thematic and very touching. Have you heard it?

Yeah, I don't think that's true at all.

Plus, you seem to be developing this strange habit of automatically equating "wholly orchestral" with "good", whereas anything with any hint of synths or electronic elements - regardless of the reasoning, design choices, etc. - is automatically bad. That's more than a little short-sighted of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    Bacon's best score is still SOURCE CODE, IMO -- especially the masterful main titles. Haven't heard anything yet that can match that.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That Source Code main titles is a fantastic piece indeed. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014 edited
    Not true Jon. There are a lot of mixed or purely electronica scores I like but you have to realize that few of them are actually well done and by people who know how to use electronics together with physical instruments. It is nice of course to understand why a composer chooses which instruments but also it has do be done properly.

We know that most of the cases it is being done in an effort to stay cool and modem, you know hang out with the cool guys and satisfy the studio execs , producers and directors. No matter what excuses some come up with to justify their usage (well Zimmer usually explains his musical devices pretty well but everyone mocks him. I say the reason why the majority of the rest do electronics is quite obvious and sad in comparison. At least Z experiments).

Now, if the result is musically not good, often messy and all over the place or unreasonably loud then i cannot digest it. And there are a lot of composers out there who could previously write perfectly good scores and who know produce shitty sounding stuff with no musical value In them, trapped in the changing times, music business and modern cinema, all in efforts to still have jobs tomorrow which is perfectly understandable yes. Still, i can't celebrate bad music cause this is what we often have now. And since when orchestral music with themes is not something to celebrate in a business with all the traits described above prominent ?

Also if you missed it, i celebrate Hannibal which is wholly electronic and dissonant. Works fantastically creepy and effective ways in the show and you must really watch it to understand why it is so good. And also heavily disliked Shore's second hobbit score which is completely orchestral. So I don't understand where you got that impression from me?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014
    What exactly makes the use of electronics well integrated with an orchestra in your opinion?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014 edited
    Electronics knowing their place. Enhancing the arrangments and blending in with the orchestra like a new, different and unique instrument they are. Now writing perfectly well for orchestra and then adding a whole wall of noise ontop, crushing it, in efforts to make it sound ' modern'. Very few composers know how to properly incorporate electronics in orchestral writing , with a properly musical way and treat them like an independent instrument. I struggle to believe so few people understand and listen to this? It's so easy to spot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014
    But seriously though, who calls themselves crispy bacon ffs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014
    If your first name is Christopher and your last name is Bacon, who wouldn't?
  3. I think that's perhaps why he dropped the "P." from his name.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I think they made a commercial about his name...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_iluxQ1IQ
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that's perhaps why he dropped the "P." from his name.

He did?

Reminds me of Thomas Wanker, who had to change his last name to Wander when he arrived in Hollywood.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that's perhaps why he dropped the "P." from his name.

He did?

Reminds me of Thomas Wanker, who had to change his last name to Wander when he arrived in Hollywood.

It's very much a British insult. I think the Americans are cottoning on to its meaning now. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I heard that Chris Bacon's middle name never started with a P, but that he started listing it that way because it was funny. Then when he started getting serious scoring assignments, he discontinued the joke.
  6. Synchrotones' review of Bates Motel. Nice place, but breakfast is a bit poor and there is no wifi in the room.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014
    christopher wrote
    I heard that Chris Bacon's middle name never started with a P, but that he started listing it that way because it was funny. Then when he started getting serious scoring assignments, he discontinued the joke.

Nice one!

Synchrotones wrote
    Synchrotones' review of Bates Motel. Nice place, but breakfast is a bit poor and there is no wifi in the room.

I enjoyed it a lot, especially cues like "the end of a horrible day" , "bradley needs dylan's help", "norma's story", ""emma's meditation", "shelby and norma", "motorcycle ride".