• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. edit
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    What most people don't realise is that not one single track in BLADERUNNER is original score. Ridley Scott plundered the Vangelis and Aphrodite's Child extensive back catalogues to fill his film with pre-existing music.

This was the reason that an "original" soundtrack release took so long.

April Fools Tim?

angry Timmer? Timmer? Timmer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014 edited
    Ha, ha...good one! A mid-conversation April Fool's works much better than creating a new thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014
    Starting a new thread for an April's Fools is pitiful, but this.... this I liked. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    angry Timmer? Timmer? Timmer?

gotcha! cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Well, half way. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    Excellent reviews James.
    Can't wait to receive Psycho 2!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014 edited
    Great review of a great score! beer

( goodness me, you finally got it then spin )
  4. Intrada are releasing (again) Goldsmith's score to Night Crossing - a good chance for those who missed the opportunity when it was released before.

With these re-re-releases it's funny to read the inventive 'blurb', trying to describe a new release in terms of same music but slightly better sound.

But this release is the height of inventiveness - trying to make the inclusion of more silence within tracks an appealling selling point. Apparently the original releases omitted these pauses to help the listening experience. But now they have been put back in.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014
    ...presumably to deter from the listening experience.
  5. a score that deserves this re release. More people need to hear this one.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014
    Apparantly Nick Redman has access to the original tapes for UNDER FIRE. Does this mean we'll finally get the original score? I hope so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
    Intrada releases DEEP RISING complete.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8 … egory=-113
  6. Timmer wrote
    Intrada releases DEEP RISING complete.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8 … egory=-113

just saw it now, great score. Curious to see whether longer album will be as fun as the 30 minute release
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014
    I'm just glad the score has been remixed because the original was crushed to hell!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Empire has an article about Goldsmith's two Gremlins scores:
    http://www.empireonline.com/features/gremlins-music/p1
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A bit topical, so I wrote a review of Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes:

http://www.movie-wave.net/planet-of-the-apes/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    A bit topical, so I wrote a review of Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes:

http://www.movie-wave.net/planet-of-the-apes/

Great review beer

This as the music ( not just film score ) that opened the way for me to "understand" and enjoy atonal and avant-garde works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jesus, for a moment there I thought you were referring to Deep Rising. I was worried we were going to have another Michael Bay fiasco on our hands.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jesus, for a moment there I thought you were referring to Deep Rising. I was worried we were going to have another Michael Bay fiasco on our hands.

I didn't like DEEP RISING, film and score are big pants IMO. Now I've said that I'll go read James review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014 edited
    Oh so do I, but I think avant-garde is a stretch (unless you happen to share a name with a certain Norse god).

Edit: Oh wait, you said film AND score. Never mind! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talking about how many of Goldsmith's 90's efforts got bashed at the time ( I was there and indeed they did get bashed ) James, in his Deep Rising review pointedly says...

'Perhaps it was just a case of not knowing what you’ve got till it’s gone.'

...and maybe it is? JG was getting "bashed" at a time when there were a lot of strong film scores, in todays climate of Z-clones I guess a score like this can sound very fresh and exciting. Maybe I should give it a re-listen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014
    First Knight is the one that really sticks in my mind. I remember how floored I was when I first heard it and I expressed that opinion on one of the film music mailing lists or newsgroups at the time and was met by a parade of abuse from people calling me an idiot for liking such a piece of shit, I should go and listen to The Wind and the Lion if I wanted to hear a real film score, etc. It was exceptionally odd. (And virtually all Goldsmith scores after Basic Instinct were absolutely panned until he died, when people suddenly said how great they all were.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I must admit I wasn't enamoured with a lot of JG's 90's out-put but came to re-evaluate more positively later on. First Knight was among a number of exceptions though, loved that one right from the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like Z-clone.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!