• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. According to Jeff Bond, via a Facebook post:

...and you also can't go wrong with the new release of Take A Hard Ride--this is from completely different elements than the old FSM release (which didn't sound bad itself)--it's revelatory in terms of the detail you can hear in this score now. Another amazing restoration by Mike Matessino.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    One of Goldsmith's ever best themes, and I hope now it much improved sound quality. Great re release. Brother, better pick this one up quickly wink

Oh goodie ! Don't think I've ever heard one second of this and needs to be addressed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. From Lalaland's homepage:

GOLDSMITH WESTERN ROUND-UP SALE! We are celebrating the release of TAKE A HARD RIDE with a sensational price on these classic Goldsmith western scores: STAGECOACH, BANDOLERO!, RIO LOBO and BAD GIRLS are only $9.98 each! Sale price good thru 2/8.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. So which ones of those 4 would be must-haves? I already have Bad Girls, and I'm looking for one that can accompany 'Take a Hard Ride' for the journey to my mailbox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    So which ones of those 4 would be must-haves? I already have Bad Girls, and I'm looking for one that can accompany 'Take a Hard Ride' for the journey to my mailbox.

Tricky. BAD GIRLS and TAKE A HARD RIDE are the two best. If I had to choose one of the others, I'd say maybe BANDOLERO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    re-recordings just aren't affordable anymore considering the amount of sales involved. By coincidence I'm listening to a recording of Rebecca performed by the Slovak Radio Symphony conducted by Adriano. I've had email communication with him and he loves this score and Waxman as a composer. I'd pick this one up before it goes out of print.
    listen to more classical music!
  5. I have that CD in my collection and I second Tom's recommendation.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    re-recordings just aren't affordable anymore considering the amount of sales involved. By coincidence I'm listening to a recording of Rebecca performed by the Slovak Radio Symphony conducted by Adriano. I've had email communication with him and he loves this score and Waxman as a composer. I'd pick this one up before it goes out of print.

Not one of my favourite recordings of Rebecca. I prefer Varese's recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    So which ones of those 4 would be must-haves? I already have Bad Girls, and I'm looking for one that can accompany 'Take a Hard Ride' for the journey to my mailbox.

Tricky. BAD GIRLS and TAKE A HARD RIDE are the two best. If I had to choose one of the others, I'd say maybe BANDOLERO.

I'll just buy the new release.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'll just buy the new release.

I have Bandolera, no need to buy that one wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016 edited
    Just saw this announced at FSM...

NEW CD!! Music Written For The Film PLANET OF THE APES

To honor the 48th anniversary of the release of Arthur P. Jacobs production of Franklin J. Schaffner's film PLANET OF THE APES, Pithikos Entertainment is proud to announce the release of a New Digital Recording of Jerry Goldsmith's landmark score!

This project, more than two years in the making, is a logical extension of the work author, musician and recording engineer John O'Callaghan did for the acclaimed book Simians & Serialism. While in no way a substitute for the original recording conducted by Jerry Goldsmith and performed by Hollywood's finest musicians, this new Digital Recording makes this legendary score come alive again. It demonstrates for the listener that Goldsmith's serial compositions are more than mere "movie music" and deserve a place among the defining works of twentieth century orchestral repertoire.

[li]A 24-bit / 88.2kHz Full Digital Recording
    [li]Meticulous reconstruction of the Orchestrations written by Jerry Goldsmith, Arthur Morton and Herbert W. Spencer done by John O'Callaghan
    [li]Features Percussion Instruments from the Emil Richards Collection at L.A. Percussion Rentals—the same, unique instruments used in the original recording sessions
    [li]All music cues performed to the same tempo as the original performance
    [li]3 Bonus Tracks—including the famously deleted piccolo part in the “Main Title” that director Franklin J. Schaffner asked Goldsmith to change
    [li]A hybrid recording that seamlessly mixes "live" instrumental performances with VST instruments
    [li]12-page, full color booklet with an essay on the album's production, photos of Emil Richards' unique percussion instruments in action and more!

CD Track Listing:
    Planet of the Apes (Main Title) 2.19
    Crash Landing 6.53
    The Searchers 2.32
    The Search Continues 4.59
    The Clothes Snatchers 3.13
    The Hunt 5.14
    A New Mate 1.13
    The Revelation 3.23
    No Escape 5.42
    The Trial 1.47
    New Identity 2.29
    A Bid For Freedom 2.39
    The Forbidden Zone 3.27
    The Intruders 1.11
    The Cave 1.25
    The Revelation Part 2 3.26

Bonus Tracks:
    Planet of the Apes (Main Title) 2.19
    The Searchers 2.32
    The Revelation 3.23

Total CD Duration: 60:14

Price: $19.95 plus Shipping/Processing/Applicable Taxes

http://www.pithikosentertainment.com/products.html

An exciting CD for any fan of Jerry Goldsmith, Planet of the Apes or twentieth century serialism, be sure to purchase your copy today while supplies last!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016
    I'm skeptical, but curious nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. A hybrid recording that seamlessly mixes "live" instrumental performances with VST instruments

VST? confused

Sounds a bit artificial.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    A hybrid recording that seamlessly mixes "live" instrumental performances with VST instruments

VST? confused

Sounds a bit artificial.

Software Synthesizer, used as a stand alone application or as a plug-in in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I don't mind synths that try to mimic the real thing, but it's worth pointing out this ain't a full orchestral recording.

Then again, if it sounds like what that guy did for the re-scored The Force Awakens trailer a while back... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That album sounds like garbage!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    That album sounds like garbage!

-Erik-

Hmmm? I'm definitely not sure? I won't be buying it, I'm more than happy with the original but I'd like to at least hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Would you believe I have heard Apes only once many years ago, found it a most challenging listen and haven't returned to it since because of that. I don't even own it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Would you believe I have heard Apes only once many years ago, found it a most challenging listen and haven't returned to it since because of that. I don't even own it.

It's one of those challenging works that rewards on multiple listens.
  10. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Would you believe I have heard Apes only once many years ago, found it a most challenging listen and haven't returned to it since because of that. I don't even own it.

It's one of those challenging works that rewards on multiple listens.

I found it not as challenging a listening experience than I remembered it to be when I revisited it some weeks ago. An unconventional, complex composition that does not cease to fascinate me.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Funny you should bring that up now.

I'm doing a 2-day seminar on film music this weekend, as I've been invited by the film club in my hometown. First day is film music history, second day is about John Williams. The film we will be screening on the first day is PLANET OF THE APES. Even though the film has some cheesy qualities, it is a rightful classic, and that is largely due to Goldsmith's score. Yes, it's challenging, but there's a structure to the chaos which makes it more listeable than other avantgarde works, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Well, yeah, that ape-human romance s a bit cheesy, but it has its place in the overall story. Apart from that I don't find anything cheesy. The score is a vital part of the film but it was elevated to cult status for many reasons: The story, costume, make-up, the cast, cinematography ... all top notch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, some of the acting is a bit over-the-top (even by the standards back then), so that's a somewhat cheesy aspect. Then there's the make-up, of course -- great for its time, but not dating terribly well. But I think these hints of 'camp' (far more prevalent in the sequels) are what makes it the cult classic it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016
    Not seen this one despite having been posted on YT some years ago.

JG 1983 interview
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

JG 1983 interview

Thanks. Embarassing error, though, as the reporter says Bernard Herrmann composed the TWILIGHT ZONE theme. Herrmann did work on the original series, but the famous theme was Marius Constant, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016 edited
    Herrmann did compose a theme for The Twilight Zone though I don't believe it was ever used ( Alan will know better than me )

I've seen/heard loads of interviews and commentaries over the years with cringingly wrong comments made about film music and there's sure to be plenty more to come.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Herrmann did compose a theme for The Twilight Zone though I don't believe it was ever used ( Alan will know better than me )

My understanding is that Herrmann's theme was used for the first season of The Twilight Zone but was then replaced by Constant's more famous one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

JG 1983 interview

Good grief, I hope this isn't anyone's first encounter with Goldsmith's music. The sound quality would make anyone wonder why he was so 'sought after'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...still, I could listen to Goldsmith all day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016 edited
    Sorry for the double post, but Bear McCreary's blog has a new entry about his score for the new Damien TV series and how he used Goldsmith's classic Omen scores for that one, which might be of interest to Goldsmith fans, too.

The original post is at Bear's topic here if you want to join the discussion.