• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    Martijn wrote
    No! Actually I meant "Burn It All", simply for its exposure power.
    I think it's been used on every single reality show in America and Europe since the first Survivor series (not to mention a whole lot of other media outings).

Personally I like your pick better though. It is more melodic.
    But "Burn It All" to my mind has that quality that makes you go "what IS that again?", when you hear it even when you've never seen the film or heard a soundtrack in your life.

I was aware of this track about ten years before I quite accidentally found what it was from. smile

Are you sure it's not You Go We Go? Used in lots of trailers, it's a barnstorming cue that made me sit up and go WOW! who is this Zimmer guy!?

Fighting 17th is another great track cool

After this score I rapidly went off Zimmer save for the odd highlight here and there ( Thin Red Line, Black Hawk Down, Da Vinci Code, Hannibal ).

p.s. Am I the ONLY person never to have heard a single note from POTC : AWE ? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    How many Zimmer scores do you consider complex in composition?

wave

Complex in composition, for Zimmer's standards:

Hannibal
    Da Vinci Code
    The ring / the ring two
    Spanglish / The Holiday
    Matchstick men
    The action cues (battle, Am I Merciful?) from Gladiator

These come to mind now.

I don't like it when Zimmer goes too complex; apart that it's SO not his style, it usually ends up in huge pile of crap / totally forgettable messes (see The Simspons Movie).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. What about PotC 3?

I wonder if I wouldn't add Prince of Egypt here and Tears of the Sun (the whole dramatic string stuff, of course a Barber rip probably, but still, for his standard). Black Hawk Down and Tears have some to my book complex avant garde stuff, no, Demetris?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    BlackHawk down is an amazing musical achievement but essentially just a very good mixture of band-like rock approach with exquisite middle-eastern traits; musically it's very clever and inventive, but not complex.

I thought of TEARS OF THE SUN too, the later KOPANO parts and theme variations are complex works indeed although i think the best parts of the score are actually Jablonsky's.

POTC3 seems complex but in reality it is not. It’s a very long subject to analyze here but you see POTC3 is probably one of the cleverest things Zimmer has ever done for that reason alone! What he essentially did was nothing different than what he’s been doing all these years but covered ontop by some very clever layers which include basically simple but appearing-like-complex musical tricks as they make the musical surface denser for sure but not the whole piece; the trick lies within the fact that the latter is something which isn’t easily discernible and creates the illusion of actual thickness and complexity in the whole writing.
  2. BHD has some rather cool avant-garde orchestral ideas and when I was thinking of Tears of the Sun, I was thinking of those and what Zimmer did with pieces like Small Piece for Doumbek and Strings and those. I find some ideas complex, I don't know what you think of the Willis (Heart of Darkness) theme. The anti-heroic trumpet solo is a rather brilliant idea. The Ring, yeah.

Interesting you mentioned Matchstick Men. I would add maybe As Good As It Gets here (yeah). THe Peacemaker is not a very good work, I think he makes some mistakes there. I'm 1000% sure about Prince fo Egypt and The Thin Red Line, the latter not very complex musical work as it is, but very multilayered at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    BlackHawk down is an amazing musical achievement but essentially just a very good mixture of band-like rock approach with exquisite middle-eastern traits; musically it's very clever and inventive, but not complex.

I thought of TEARS OF THE SUN too, the later KOPANO parts and theme variations are complex works indeed although i think the best parts of the score are actually Jablonsky's.

POTC3 seems complex but in reality it is not. It’s a very long subject to analyze here but you see POTC3 is probably one of the cleverest things Zimmer has ever done for that reason alone! What he essentially did was nothing different than what he’s been doing all these years but covered ontop by some very clever layers which include basically simple but appearing-like-complex musical tricks as they make the musical surface denser for sure but not the whole piece; the trick lies within the fact that the latter is something which isn’t easily discernible and creates the illusion of actual thickness and complexity in the whole writing.

First) I guess you have forgot The Thin Red Line and As Good as it gets. And yes, Matchstick men is a very complex score.

Second ) Tears of the sun has just a minute or so from another composer in every track. The Longest pieces are Zimmer. So if it's complex or if it's not is by Zimmer.

Third) Agree about BHW, And almost agree in everything from POTC3. Take "up is Down" for example or "Hoist the colours suite" is not complex, it's just more orchestral. Anyway I find "i don't think now is the best time" or "lord cutler Becket" more complex than "the battle" and "lord Pirate of Singapore" a really Complex mixing ethnic stuff with western orchestra.

"The FInal Game" is pretty complex too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    How many Zimmer scores do you consider complex in composition?

wave

This question is not important. There is only good and bad music.

I couldn´t agree more Thomas.
    Complexity doesn´t mean good music IMO. Elliott Goldenthal may write the MOST complex music in the WHOLE world, but I can´t stand a single full score listen from him. The opposite side is our dear friend Gustavo Santaolalla: I think we all agree he does not write the most complex music but I´m sure that his FAN loves what he composes.

I´m not musical trained, so my reasons are pure and simply about my personal taste, but the conclusion is, quoting Thomas, "There is only good and bad music". Here is where the discussion can begin.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Is it true that a guy named Henry Jackman composed the "Up is Down" part of POTC 3 ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can't.Stand.Goldenthal.?!. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Henry Jackman took the music that Hans had already done in the Love Theme Suite and basically added the orchestral decrescendos at the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

Not many people like dissonant music. Goldenthal can write gorgeous passages, but his dissonant, "avant garde" stuff can be hard to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    Henry Jackman took the music that Hans had already done in the Love Theme Suite and basically added the orchestral decrescendos at the end.

How You know that??? spin Because Zimmer said jackman was very responsable about the Jig structure on this theme, and I think the suite it's more composed with the material of the whole score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not many people like dissonant music. Goldenthal can write gorgeous passages, but his dissonant, "avant garde" stuff can be hard to listen to.

Exactly. That´s what I was talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

How You know that??? spin Because Zimmer said jackman was very responsable about the Jig structure on this theme, and I think the suite it's more composed with the material of the whole score.

Hans said that he suggested (and I'm paraphrasing) that Henry approaches it in term of a jig for the scene. I know you saw the behind the scene clip from the DVD release, so you should remember that the Suite was "premiered" in the recording room. For me the whole score were, more or less, spun from the suites the Hans wrote. Up is Down is from the suite, extended for the scene with revised arrangements and orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007 edited
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

Hans said that he suggested (and I'm paraphrasing) that Henry approaches it in term of a jig for the scene. I know you saw the behind the scene clip from the DVD release, so you should remember that the Suite was "premiered" in the recording room. For me the whole score were, more or less, spun from the suites the Hans wrote. Up is Down is from the suite, extended for the scene with revised arrangements and orchestrations.

Hans said to the editor of the movie (you can see that in the sountrack collection video ) he was recording the suites because then the editors put every cue in his place (obviously, the cues from the suites), so Probably the suites was composed with the whole score in mind. So it's not so obvious if Jackman contribuition was before or after the suite.

How I said , I think the suites was a mix between what Zimmer composed before and the things scored in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    I remember an interview with Hans where he said that he would write (paraphrasing, of course) all the ideas he had and give it to the editors (of whatever movie he's working on at the time) so they could listen to it in the car and have ideas about where it would work in the movie. Same situation applies.

I don't think the suites is a compilation of various cues. Hans did say in interviews that he has suites of music composed for the movie and was interested in releasing them.... And the orchestration on Up Is Down is different than in the suite, more clarity in instrumentation and sound too.

BTW, anyone think that Track 5 on the Peacemaker album is the original suite that he wrote for the movie? The orchestra is very "synthy" and mushy compare to the other 4 tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    Can anyone more crazy like me say when is played each part (A, B and C) of the love theme in Marry me suite?

thanks beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    Can anyone more crazy like me say when is played each part (A, B and C) of the love theme in Marry me suite?

thanks beer

Marry Me: A Theme (0:00 until 1:08), C Theme (1:09 ´til 1:37), B Theme (1:38 ´til 2:07). And then you have many combinations of the three themes until we hear the improved version of "Up Is Down". punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
  3. On Pirates, Day One at 4:56 PM, Zimmer got infected with the Heart of Davy Jones and said: "Marry Me, Lord Cutler Beckett". When The Pirate Lord of Singapore head Jack's Theme Bare Bones version, he decided to Hoist the Colors, for it would mean Just Good Business.

Or maybe not spin christmas_biggrin
  4. Hoist the Colors! Let there be Black Rain and Green Cards, Crimson Tides and Thin Red Lines! Guide the Black Hawk Down! dizzy
  5. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hoist the Colors! Let there be Black Rain and Green Cards, Crimson Tides and Thin Red Lines! Guide the Black Hawk Down! dizzy

biggrin

p.s. I think the word COLOUR looks so much better when spelt the English way, that U makes a lot of sense cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Yeah!

Hoist the COLOURS!
  7. I´m sorry. I just repeated the spelling of the guy who went before me. I prefer oxfordian spelling, too, but I find it hard to remember all those tiny differences between english and american and to use them properly. I hope to be forgiven. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  8. Who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Southall wrote
    Lordy Miss Claudy

Do you have heard the suites James?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Lordy Miss Claudy

Do you have heard the suites James?

Swap the 'you' and the 'have' round, and ditch the 'Do'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Wich instrument is played in "Lord Cutler Becket" in the 2:05 minute mark? Is it a buggle? or what?

And Wich is this kind of barroque Harp? And those Crystals? and is there and Slow Piano?

thanks

beer