• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Holy crap! The size of that building with the terracotta army! shocked

I have been to the biggest building in the world actually - the Boeing airplane factory in Colorado. BEYOND MASSIVE! punk

I thought it was the new Chinese airport that's opening?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

That's be the biggest terminal in the world, and is already openend. It's in Beijing, but we didn't go through when we arrived or departed from China.

Anyway, I've been to the building with the largest volume, and that is the Boeing factory in Seatlle, Washington. Not Colorado Anthony. You loose. tongue

More here, division between volume and area/surface
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la … _the_world

Did you enjoy the photo's Tim?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's be the biggest terminal in the world, and is already openend. It's in Beijing, but we didn't go through when we arrived or departed from China.

Anyway, I've been to the building with the largest volume, and that is the Boeing factory in Seatlle, Washington. Not Colorado Anthony. You loose. tongue

More here, division between volume and area/surface
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la … _the_world

Did you enjoy the photo's Tim?

Very much so Bregt, thanks a lot! cool

p.s. I wonder what the worlds smallest inhabitable building is?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008 edited
    Oh yeah, it was Seattle wasn't it (Everett to be more precise)! Colorado was the holiday before that and they've merged into one! dizzy shame

Did you get the bus tour and everything?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Did you get the bus tour and everything?

Yup.

And the tour lady's favourite quote was: "Boeing Seven ... (pause of 5 seconds) ... Seven .... (pause of 5 seconds) .... Seven."

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    did somebody say B777?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Cool pictures indeed. I've been browsing through them all and China looks to have been modernized immensely, not the image I... uhm imagined, I never would have thought China could look so western. They're playing catch-up with us. Yet they have an incredible history (architecture, culture) to boot... Those ancient buildings just look so fantastic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Great pictures Bregt! Too many to comment on them all.
    Looks like you had a wonderful experience.
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And the last days: Shangai!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 … =699097810

That tea house was awesome btw, and what a beautiful lady served us. If you're ever in China, you just to visit a tea house and take a traditional tea ceremony. So much fine stuff to learn!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    and what a beautiful lady served us.

Pervert.

So much fine stuff to learn!

Giggedy. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh dear.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Everything brought together here:
    http://www.maintitles.net/china
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ooh, I saw the link in your MSN. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    And now some stories? wink

About the food
    I was surprised by how tasty it all could be. I'm not a big tryout guy concerning food, but I enjoyed mostwhat was on the tables. In China, most tables are round and have a plate on it, with all dishes and food, that can be circled manually, so it goes around to easily take a plate and select your food. And getting used to the chop sticks is just a matter of days. Just make sure there's one stick that is always in position and one that can be moved. There's never big parts o meat in your plate anyway.

We had given the advice before we arrived, that when you are invited at a home for example, it is rude to eat lots of rice because that would mean the other food is not good. So, always keep the rice until the end, and never take too much. Though, it wasn't much a problem in the region we visited because the locals know Western people just like rice with everyting.

We also had food in that communist train, where Chinese were smoking like Turkisch. Our suspiciousness of that meal was the highest during our travel. wink

The first day in Beijing, actually at our first meal, we had a big bowl of some kind of soup. When taking out the spoon it came apperent that it looked and moved like nose snot! Disgusting. But it was good soup. biggrin

Most of te meals, there was always something on the table that we didn't knew what it actually was. I mean, there is sea weed, then there's the mysterious meat in red sauce and there's the also round balls with cheese slices on it, that tastes weird and we just didn't dare to look inside. biggrin

About the people
    Well, we met a couple of very cool students at Hangzhou University. One just had the combined interests and hobbys of a girlfriend and myself: Apple and Film Music. So you can see what enthousiasm suddenly came up there. wink

The people there, and I know this is just a very limited view, were mostly happy to see us. Some even made pictures of us, just because we were Western. Everyone there also seems to have a job because even the highways have their cleanup guys and gals. People stand on the stripes of those wide streets just to take away a little something of trash.What also was interesting was the low violence and hate over here (except towards Japanese, but it's not hatred). You just feel people are less agressive, even with having less. You could walk on the street alone at night, without having to worry, we were told. wink

Oh, an they all look younger then they actually are, except when they are 30+. biggrin And what they think of me? Well, we had an encounter with a fine woman in Shangai, who took us to a café and we had a drink and nice chat with (although, we were a bit suspicious, it was not necassary), thought that I was 14 years old, and the rest of the group 18. I know I've a babyface and I'm a late adult, but that was just hilarious. biggrin We thought she was 24, but she was actually 30.

Waitresses are cute and smile all the time. And their noses! So cool. love

They even though I was cute! When I was at the airport, the woman that checked my pasport said "Hello Boooy". biggrin shame I should get my girlfriend there.

I defenitely want to go back!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    Oh, and when we were on Tian'Anmen Square (the biggest square in the world, and where the student revolution was crushed by te Chinse government), we wanted to hear of people knew about those tragic events. They don't tell you exactly, but when reading between the lines they say, you know they seem to know as well...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Great stories Bregt! I almost get the feeling myself I want to go back, but I haven't been there!
    I think I would like the tea ceremony and silk factory the most, the traditional stuff. I also enjoyed your pictures of the beautiful gardens and parcs and temples of course. And I'm just curious what the overall atmosphere is like, you know, the people and everything.

What was the weather like? I saw you wearing shirts, but was it very hot? It doesn't look too warm.
    And the pictures of Shangai, was it cloudy or smoggy?

You said the trip was organized by school and a travel agency. Where did you stay at night? In hotels or more like a youth hostel? How many people were in your group? What do they have for breakfast in China?
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    What was the weather like? I saw you wearing shirts, but was it very hot? It doesn't look too warm.
    And the pictures of Shangai, was it cloudy or smoggy?

It was good weather overall, mosty 16 to 24 degrees Celcius (we only had rain in Xi'An and lots of wind in Shangai). It was only smoggy in Beijing, really smoggy! We arrived in the airport and in the hall where the luggage arrives, there was already a cloud of smog. Then we came outside and it didn't take long before we felt it in our throats. That lasted for a couple of hours, an during our stay in Beijing, that feeling never really was gone. Dirty dirty air!

The smog was less noticable in Shangai, but perhaps that was because we were used to it by then, after 8 days of China. Suzhou and Hangzhou had clear skies, with blue air. So not muchsmog over there. smile

You said the trip was organized by school and a travel agency. Where did you stay at night? In hotels or more like a youth hostel?

We stayed in hotels, because that was the safest concerning food! Although, I found that it would've been cool if we did some hostels too. Hotels are so ... luxurious. wink

How many people were in your group? What do they have for breakfast in China?

We were with a group of 100 students and a couple of teachers, so quite a lot to all organise. Three busses, each one with a local guide, who talked some sort English.

And most breakfasts were partly western. Eggs, omelets, bread, croissants, bacon, cereals, .... Added with noodles, rice, sometimes chicken, weird bread like food, fruit and vegetables, ... That Chinese wasn't always very tasty, so it was good to eat something familiar in the morning now and then. cheesy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ah a college trip? I thought you went on your own or with a couple of mates. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The impression I get from Bregt and a couple of my friends who travelled around China is that you'd need to stay their a very long time to get a real feel of what the country is all about, a country so big you could spend Months in continual transit.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So, no goats in China?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt thanks for the wonderful trip report mate, photos and stories, so much more than what i could have expected!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Thanks for the trip report, Bregt.

The smog surely must be a bit worrying for all the competitors at the upcoming Games. Wasn't the same concern in Athens a few years back?

I've a feeling that the Bejing Olympic Games are not going to run very smoothly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks for the trip report, Bregt.

The smog surely must be a bit worrying for all the competitors at the upcoming Games. Wasn't the same concern in Athens a few years back?

I've a feeling that the Bejing Olympic Games are not going to run very smoothly.

Yep! Just wait till the torch bearer runs through Tibet.