• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009
    I am trying to understand your reasons Erik, i am not "yelling" at you smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One of the things that should be considered that I think is somewhat successful at FSM is the board is split into two areas. Music and offtopic. Perhaps this is something that we could do. I agree with Erik on this one. When I go to a topic on Thomas Newman that is all I expect to read about. Nothing else.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William, Thomas, Steven, Bregt, and others came out with this rigidity problem in regards to starting too many threads, thus the issue. As you know I don't start new threads anymore it made so angry once. My compromise on this whole thing was to stick around.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    One of the things that should be considered that I think is somewhat successful at FSM is the board is split into two areas. Music and offtopic. Perhaps this is something that we could do. I agree with Erik on this one. When I go to a topic on Thomas Newman that is all I expect to read about. Nothing else.
    Thomas

Actually, this board already HAS an off-topic section.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think making so many off-topic discussions in relevant topics is just making things natural. That's how conversations are held. We TEND to go off-topic. I don't mind this naturality, makes the place more like "a pub with friends" place, which is actually a lot enjoyable and I know that some people on this board treat other members as their friends. Hell, when I admitted to some of my problems that make me take anti-depressant medications the reaction was immediately sending me good vibes.

I love it here and don't plan to quit soon! We have a place for almost everyone!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think making so many off-topic discussions in relevant topics is just making things natural. That's how conversations are held. We TEND to go off-topic. I don't mind this naturality, makes the place more like "a pub with friends" place, which is actually a lot enjoyable and I know that some people on this board treat other members as their friends. Hell, when I admitted to some of my problems that make me take anti-depressant medications the reaction was immediately sending me good vibes.

I love it here and don't plan to quit soon! We have a place for almost everyone!

Indeed.

People what you're describing is a forum like everything else; with snobbish (and sometimes even persons clearly problematic with complexes and self-esteem issues) moderators who'll bug the hell out of everyone and jump in-between otherwise NATURAL conversations with the usual "off topic" warning tags, deleting messages and annoying people. I am a mod here (one of the mods anyway) and i was under the impression that WHAT SETS MT APART all those places is the nature of relationships and debates our members enjoy here, otherwise why not hang out at the "successful" FSM board for instance? Why would someone choose to come and join us here if we'd end up imitating them (and other places)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    I for one would like to see the threads a bit more clearly defined. A discussion of Fiedel should be in his own thread not mixed in recent viewing. Get my point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    I for one would like to see the threads a bit more clearly defined. A discussion of Fiedel should be in his own thread not mixed in recent viewing. Get my point?

That CAN be done smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gramps has spoken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What CAN be done and what WILL be done are two concepts that are seldomly aligned...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll wait and see.
  2. all hail, Bartley's our new member of the week
    sadly, he's been absent for a while, so let the cheering be minimal wink

Plus, I'm happy to report we are now a review site we can be proud of
    because

We have a 150 reviews online shocked
    Of course you can expect lots more where that came from, because as you've noticed, we are finally on a roll shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    punk for Barney... punk for reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Does that mean that the system that Bregt set up for you Thomas to put the material up will be something I'll be able to do also?
    Thomas
  3. sdtom wrote
    Does that mean that the system that Bregt set up for you Thomas to put the material up will be something I'll be able to do also?
    Thomas

I think that was the main idea yes. But I don't know if it will work with you yet, best wait until his return.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    You wouldn't argue about getting "off-topic" when with your mates at the pub, right?

Apples and Oranges.

-Erik-

How come? A great forum is where you can hang out with people you know and appreciate and talk, debate, have fun, imo. Just like you would do if you were to physically have them around you.

What I don't like is having to sift through 3 pages of OT discussion in a composer thread to find up to date info concerning said composer. That's the issue! There are places for discussions concerning Speed Tickets, Food, Cats, etc... they don't belong in a composer thread. But hey, I'm in the minority here and if there rest of you like the way discussions get hijacked and taken for OT spins then fine.

For what it's worth, Erik, I agree with you. It couldn't hurt for people who have something to say off topic to link their comments to the relevant off topic thread.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Agree 100% Alan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You guys are way off topic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Steven wrote
    You guys are way off topic.

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The point that I, Erik, and Alan have been trying to make. This has little to do with statistics. Change is in order.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. sdtom wrote
    The point that I, Erik, and Alan have been trying to make. This has little to do with statistics. Change is in order.
    Thomas

I'm not sure that change needs to be made. I think that all the necessary things are in place - on-topic & off-topic areas, specific topics, etc - but the discussions just tend to amble off a bit. And it's clear that this is fine for the majority of posters.

We just need to accept that this is how the majority of people want to have the board function. If we're not that happy we just have to move on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It would be a daunting task in my opinion if one wanted to find this conversation at some point down the road. A separate thread would have made it easier.
    Thomas
  7. sdtom wrote
    It would be a daunting task in my opinion if one wanted to find this conversation at some point down the road. A separate thread would have made it easier.
    Thomas

This is the trouble, Tom. It's just too natural to carry on a topic where it started rather than link it to a more appropriate topic (once an off-topic ramble has developed and it becomes clear where the ramble should actually go!!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I know your right Alan but crazy
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure nothing will happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    At this point I would respectfully point all the members to the most excellent SEARCH function which will yield any post (yes, POST, not just THREAD) anyone would like to reference.

Now, let's talk about bananas.
    Or about how statistically Timmer has referenced two composers so far without even the semblance of relevance, which makes him wonderfully on topic.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never been that desperate to find a past discussion to warrant being so anal about staying on topic, but there you go...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    I've never been that desperate to find a past discussion to warrant being so anal about staying on topic, but there you go...

True! Most of what we have to say is worthless