• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008
    It's Williams' music, but he didn't actually score that scene. They tracked music from The Phantom Menace to "fit" that scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    It's Williams' music, but he didn't actually score that scene. They tracked music from The Phantom Menace to "fit" that scene.

Wow. I'm surprised I didn't know this. Hmmm, are you saying that the music featured in Love Pledge and the Arena is actually unused material originally written for The Phantom Menace? Or are you saying that, aside from that music, which was written for Attack of the Clones, they used music from The Phantom Menace? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    Tracked music from The Phantom Menace score as heard in The Phantom Menace. They even did it in Revenge Of The Sith If memory serves. All three of the prequels have some of the messiest and worse music editing I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Tracked music from The Phantom Menace. They even did it in Revenge Of The Sith If memory serves. All three of the prequels have some of the messiest and worse music editing I've ever heard.

OK... Wow, I'm confused. Ah well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I edited my post. They use music from The Phantom Menace in the clone battle in Attack Of The Clones. Simple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    I edited my post. They use music from The Phantom Menace in the clone battle in Attack Of The Clones. Simple.

Ah, OK. Now I understand better. Thanks! wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I presume you've got the regular album for The Phantom Menace? Even though many will kill me for recommending this to you, I'd say check out the "Ultimate Edition" soundtrack. It has every note that was used in The Phantom Menace, and yes, even though it has some dire editing in places, it's still worth it to hear a lot of the material missing from the original album.

Some fantastic cues in that 2 disc set, there's a certain piece they use in a few of the trailers for various Star Wars films and games that I think you would recognise.
  1. Ok, so I misunderstood the meaning of tracked music, I thought it came from another composer. Thanks for clearing that up.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    I presume you've got the regular album for The Phantom Menace? Even though many will kill me for recommending this to you, I'd say check out the "Ultimate Edition" soundtrack. It has every note that was used in The Phantom Menace, and yes, even though it has some dire editing in places, it's still worth it to hear a lot of the material missing from the original album.

Some fantastic cues in that 2 disc set, there's a certain piece they use in a few of the trailers for various Star Wars films and games that I think you would recognise.

Yes, I have the regular release, but I have already known about and been contemplating the Ultimate Edition for quite some time. It looks interesting; I may buy it. I just don't get why they don't also release Ultimate Editions of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, though... ?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Tracked music from The Phantom Menace score as heard in The Phantom Menace. They even did it in Revenge Of The Sith If memory serves. All three of the prequels have some of the messiest and worse music editing I've ever heard.

Ha yes! Duel Of The Fates when they're using the grappling hooks to scale the building in TPM....it just cuts out! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ok, so I misunderstood the meaning of tracked music, I thought it came from another composer. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yep, I had the exact same misunderstanding. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Only "The Love Pledge "plays in it's entirety... then the music cuts off and then only the latter half of "The Arena" in used in the movie. The big battle afterwards (what I call the beginning of the Clone War) is tracked music from The Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi. Williams didn't write any music for the big battle. Maybe he didn't have time or didn't get the scenes in time before the recording sessions. Who knows. It's sad that one of the biggest battles in the Star Wars universe didn't get any original music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I just don't get why they don't also release Ultimate Editions of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, though... ?

Because they are utter failures. All they are is the isolated score as hear din the film with all the bad cuts, tracked music and whatnot. While it a good release because we do get some awesome previously unreleased music is still no t what the fans wanted. We wanted to hear the complete score as written by Williams. No edits, no tracked music... just everything that was recorded at the sessions as is.

A Clones and Sith UE would have been terrible if produced the same way at The Phantom Menace UE.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    Only "The Love Pledge "plays in it's entirety... then the music cuts off and then only the latter half of "The Arena" in used in the movie. The big battle afterwards (what I call the beginning of the Clone War) is tracked music from The Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi. Williams didn't write any music for the big battle. Maybe he didn't have time or didn't get the scenes in time before the recording sessions. Who knows. It's sad that one of the biggest battles in the Star Wars universe didn't get any original music.

-Erik-

Or maybe they just felt no score was needed for something which would rely on visual and sound effects, and when editing the battle Lucas came to the conclusion music would make it better, so they used the tracked music, as Williams would not have had the time to come up with original material.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Or maybe they just felt no score was needed for something which would rely on visual and sound effects, and when editing the battle Lucas came to the conclusion music would make it better, so they used the tracked music, as Williams would not have had the time to come up with original material.

A good and plausible hypothesis. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I just don't get why they don't also release Ultimate Editions of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, though... ?

Because they are utter failures. All they are is the isolated score as hear din the film with all the bad cuts, tracked music and whatnot. While it a good release because we do get some awesome previously unreleased music is still no t what the fans wanted. We wanted to hear the complete score as written by Williams. No edits, no tracked music... just everything that was recorded at the sessions as is.

A Clones and Sith UE would have been terrible if produced the same way at The Phantom Menace UE.

-Erik-

Perhaps you're right. Still, I'm very interested in hearing and getting releases of the complete scores as Williams wrote them.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Shouldn't we be hearing about that Indy box again soon? wink
  2. At least for ROTS, the tracked on music wasn't as bad as the other two PT films. Though I believe the temp score highly influenced some decision making.

The only spot in ROTS where I wish they had original music, but didn't was in fact the marching into the temple scene with the clonetroopers. For someone who didn't own the AOTC soundtrack or had never seen the AOTC menu with the arena music playing, this scene was great. But for a film score fan, a key scene that we had been waiting for for years was scored with 3 year old music. This was one scene where clearly you could tell it was ready on time for Williams to score as it was rather simple in creating in comparison to everything else, but they opted to display music from AOTC that they loved but was't showcased on film. I do wonder if Williams ever composed an alternate track for this.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008 edited
    Edit: Nevermind
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    tjguitar wrote

Did I miss something? Are the completes gonna be released? shocked biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    tjguitar wrote

Did I miss something? Are the completes gonna be released? shocked biggrin

No, you missed nothing. No word of what is going to be released, but so far it sounds like they are just going to re-issue the CDs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    No, you missed nothing. No word of what is going to be released, but so far it sounds like they are just going to re-issue the CDs.

I cannot see what is the point of reissuing CDs with the same content again and again. Look at the PoTC Box, a complete waste of money except the Suites. I hope they release at least a few unreleased cues (if there's a release)! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    Anthony wrote

I cannot see what is the point of reissuing CDs with the same content again and again.

Because they've been out of print for ages and there are still a lot of people who would buy it. wink

I think we're all hoping for expanded/complete releases. I hope it's the latter (like Star Wars eventually got).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I must say tracking the fight scenes between Yoda and Palpatine in the Senate with Duel of the Fates worked very well for me, especially since I liked the crashing force of that fight. Otherwise, I would have preferred more original material as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I must say tracking the fight scenes between Yoda and Palpatine in the Senate with Duel of the Fates worked very well for me, especially since I liked the crashing force of that fight. Otherwise, I would have preferred more original material as well.

Duel of the Fates was an action track that belongs only in The Phantom Menace. It's not a THEME... it's an action set piece like The Asteroid Field. They should have had Williams come up with something new for the Senate Battle.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Duel of the Fates was an action track that belongs only in The Phantom Menace. It's not a THEME... it's an action set piece like The Asteroid Field. They should have had Williams come up with something new for the Senate Battle.

-Erik-

Yep, I agree with you, Erik. beer New material really would have worked much better, IMO.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

-Erik-

I thought it worked great.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

-Erik-

Yup, it loses it's uniqueness when used in anything but TPM. What the hell was up with all the tracking in eps 2 & 3?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    What the hell was up with all the tracking in eps 2 & 3?!

Who knows? It did seem a bit overdone. I would have much preferred new material for many of the scenes.