• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    SONGS.ON.SCORE.ALBUMS.SUCK.BIG.TIME.period.

Soundtrack albums is their place.

Are you saying "score albums are not soundtracks, real soundtracks should have songs" like the kids on Amazon/iTunes? shocked

Score is Soundtrack!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Are you saying "score albums are not soundtracks, real soundtracks should have songs" like the kids on Amazon/iTunes? shocked

Score is Soundtrack!

I would prefer the distinction of ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE, an ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK can mean anything from score to songs to dialogue from the film and is quite often just an excuse to make a buck by filling it with songs that had nothing to do with the film in the first place, you know...Music From and Inspired By... rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Miya wrote

Oh of course, I'm NOT happy about Lilo & Stitch having too many Elvis and too little Silvestri! But, I meant, it's understandable why the soundtrack producers put those Elvis songs on the soundtrack, like 50s songs on Back To The Future. What upsets me (and you and many other score fans) is the fact there is so much rooms left for more score tracks on those discs (as you write on the review).

It's really sad but that's a different issue. What I wanted to say about your review was, it could have more information about score itself, rather than about its policy of soundtrack production.

MT is a place for score fans, so, as you said, what visitors wanted is information (including reviewer's opinion) on film scores. So when you review a soundtrack with few score tracks before watching the movie and checking the score in it, you can't have much to write about the score. If you had watched the film, you could give us some insights about what was good (or bad) in the movie's score and what was missing from the album. Like you did on BTTF review. smile

But I like the way you review scores. I like reading what you feel by listening to music, and what you think it sounds like, rather than reading what instruments was used on this cue or how counterpoint skill was used on that cue, etc. Emotion is an important thing for me... smile

It is true what you say. The fact I know so much more about the BTTF album and wrote what was missing on the album is simply because I know the movie (and music) so well. Sadly I haven't seen Lilo & Stitch and if I would have watched it, I would understand the reason why the songs are so important, and why the songs are placed there to begin with.

However, the difference with Lilo & Stich and Back to the Future for me is, Elvis' songs are found everywhere. Doesn't matter but you could get them everywhere. The songs of Back to the Future are not, or at least not all. And the fact I haven't heard the promo of Lilo & Stitch yet makes it also understandable I can't comment on the fact what (good or bad music) is missing.

And considering I don't know what's missing nor having seen the film, I felt I could (somewhat) attack tongue the reason why I found the album of Lilo & Stich poorly produced. Sometimes that's also a part of reviewing, because you review what's on the album, not the music as you heard during the movie (especially if you haven't seen it)

In a way being a reviewer would be so easy if you first see the film, and then hear the album and have the opportunity to review it after multiple times. Sadly I haven't got the time to do this and sometimes that means, giving information that feels rather empty to someone who knows it by heart. In general that's indeed the big difference between a review like BTTF and Lilo & Stitch for me, and I guess for you as well

But I appreciate and understand what you're saying Mya, and I completely agree with it kiss
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I appreciate and understand, too. kiss

btw Lilo & Stitch is a very good movie (at least for me and other disney fangirls biggrin ) so watch it if you have a chance wink
  2. Miya wrote
    I appreciate and understand, too. kiss

btw Lilo & Stitch is a very good movie (at least for me and other disney fangirls biggrin ) so watch it if you have a chance wink

I'll try to do my best, and the same goes for finding the actual promo
    who knows, I can always change reviews and ratings eh? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sadly not just Lilo & Stitch but a lot of Disney scores (including you-know-what bunny ) are badly represented on CD. If you get the recently leaked bootleg of Lilo & Stitch (which has somewhat average sound quality) you'll see there's a LOT of good stuff missing, even from the promo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    face-palm-mt
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hey, Thomas mentioned you-know-what in his review too! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited
    From Thomas' reviews:

If you look back now at the whole thing, it is probably The Lion King that stands at the top of that list of most ignored soundtrack of all.

These are not of the Lion King galore but ...

We are back to the cuddly factor of The Lion King and the wilderness of Tarzan, ...

Walt Disney Records has done what they shouldn't have, meaning they lost the path they made so successfully years ago. The Lion King is not the right way to commercially release an album and Dinosaur and Atlantis is.

He should be banned. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would suggest that Bregt exerts the full weight of his powers and not only bans Thomas but consigns him to the forbidden zone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Mostly, yeah! There are exceptions though.

Most definitely. One of my favourite 'mixed' CD's, or how else should I put it, is Hans Zimmer's Hannibal. A mixture of originally scored music, some voice-overs and the stunningly beautiful Vide Cor Meum by Patrick Cassidy. Crème de la crème if you ask me. It just has to add value to the cd as a whole, not come as an appendage.

But maybe this is going a bit :offtopic: too much...
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  3. Heat anyone?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I absolutely LOATHE scores with dialogues mixed in! Songs mixed in with score on CD is another thing, but dialogues?! I might as well rip the damn thing from the DVD and burn it onto a CD! slant
  4. Timmer wrote
    I would suggest that Bregt exerts the full weight of his powers and not only bans Thomas but consigns him to the forbidden zone.

knight
    I'll do whatever I can to defend myself
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll refrain: they should keep goddamn song away from SCORE cd's, which they should only contain original music written for the film.

Songs should go into the "original soundtrack / music inspired by" crappy cd's for everyone like Miya and co. to enjoy wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Demetris, I can't imagine Goldenthal's Heat being released ANY differently.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'll refrain: they should keep goddamn song away from SCORE cd's, which they should only contain original music written for the film.

Songs should go into the "original soundtrack / music inspired by" crappy cd's for everyone like Miya and co. to enjoy wink

Though I mostly agree with you D, there is a plus side to a score CD containing songs and that is that it might just lure someone into the world of true film music!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris, I can't imagine Goldenthal's Heat being released ANY differently.

As I said earlier, there are exceptions cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That someone is 99% the person who's going to complain on amazon.com about the score cd, with the usual "WHERE ARE THE EMINE SONGS FROM THE MOVIE??? WHO IS THIS PATRICK DOYLE WHO WROTE THOSE BORING SONGS THAT ARE ON THE CD? I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    That someone is 99% the person who's going to complain on amazon.com about the score cd, with the usual "WHERE ARE THE EMINE SONGS FROM THE MOVIE??? WHO IS THIS PATRICK DOYLE WHO WROTE THOSE BORING SONGS THAT ARE ON THE CD? I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED".

Sure, there'll be many feeble minded dolts who'll complain but if it even gets a small handful of converts surely that's worthwhile?
  6. Christodoulides wrote

Songs are an innitial part of the music, same like the score. And when both song and score represent something so well, they need to be on the album together. But that doesn't change the fact 90% of it must be songs. The best albums are those that find a balance between both, meaning enough song and score to give you back that feeling you experienced during the movie
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've noticed scores by Zimmer and co. are often the ones that get mainstream listeners interested in film scores! cool

For example I played the second PoTC score to a few friends and they immediately liked it whereas they were not keen on stuff by Goldsmith etc (they're all into rock/meta/rap etc). But I met quite a few people online who first got into Zimmer and then moved onto Williams, Goldsmith and even Golden Age scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited
    All this talk of songs...

Some like it some don't. While listening to Corspe Bride I cannot imagine it without songs! But I can agree that I could knock out some from other scores.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Songs are an innitial part of the music, same like the score. And when both song and score represent something so well, they need to be on the album together. But that doesn't change the fact 90% of it must be songs. The best albums are those that find a balance between both, meaning enough song and score to give you back that feeling you experienced during the movie

I agree but I think a score release is always preferable because in such CDs the score almost always tends to be overshadowed by the songs and is released in meagre amount. Like in case of Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Spirit...
  7. DemonStar wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I agree but I think a score release is always preferable because in such CDs the score almost always tends to be overshadowed by the songs and is released in meagre amount. Like in case of Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Spirit...

that's because producers don't think highly enough of film music. They still think it were the songs that captured everybody when we were viewing films like The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt and etc

Don't get me wrong, these songs are a nessecity. But if they think the score did have nothing to do with mesmerizing you too, then they are fools
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, how I wish they let someone like Varese do the score release...

But isn't Dreamworks owned by Paramount? Now that Paramount has opened, I hope sometime in the future we will get a release of all those Dreamworks treasures! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

For most of the time, that's very true. But sometimes occasionally there will be a score where the song/s are an integral part of the story telling. Much like the songs on the Catch Me If You Can soundtrack, I think that's a fantastic album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Those are very rare exceptions. I am pro the ability to choose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Sadly not just Lilo & Stitch but a lot of Disney scores (including you-know-what bunny )...

face-palm-mt rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    If they put songs on the score cd, let them put them at the end of the cd. I've no problems with that. But (like for example lots of T Newman scores) have it all mixed in between.
    Kazoo